It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Told to Take Viewpoint of the Nazis

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Students Told to Take Viewpoint of the Nazis

www.nytimes.com

The assignment — first reported by The Times Union of Albany — prompted an embarrassed reaction from school district administrators, who were alerted to it by a concerned parent on Wednesday night.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com
news.yahoo.com
thenotebook.org
aim.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Exposed Huge K-12 Database: Bill Gates & Carnegie Co On Millions Of Children Social Profiles

edit on 13-4-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Think like a Nazi?

Yet, that is exactly what the assingment was, to make an "abhorrent argument", pledging
loyalty to to the Third Reich. Accordingly, as part of the exercise, the students were
encouraged to argue that Jews are evil, and use solid rationale from government propaganda.

There is another aspect to this story that is not so obvious in these news articles,
which is the fact that all of these students are also monitered, and tracked now
and the results of this are to be logged into a data base
that has been funded by Bill Gates,
Rupert Murdoch and other "elites"
, as part of The Common Core Standards.

Now back to the assignment, students were encouraged to watch and read Nazi party
propaganda materials. They were told to imagine their instructor as a Nazi government
official who was demanding proof of their loyalty.

This is not the first highly controversial assigment as of late....

another recent, controversial assignment in Manhattan, where an elementary
school class was given math problems featuring the whipping and killing of slaves

Think on this: Hilter first targeted the Poles,
then the Jews, then the Jehovah’s Witnesses,
then the Roman Gypsies, then the homosexuals,
then the disabled, the Christians, the Catholics...
and he had the black children sterilized.

IMO is utterly sick that this kind of curriculum
and tracking of students has been brought
into U.S. Schools, its not the teachers
fault entirely, (the teacher has under disipinary
action) although any sane thinking teacher
would not have followed through with this, even
if it is in the teachers guides.

And most parents think they are still sending their
children to school for an education!?

This is all part of the new Common Core curriculum, the creation
of Bill Ayers, Bill Gates, and President Barack Obama...the architects
and the driving force behind the take down of literacy, liberty and freedom
in The United States.

History is repeating itself...
The future is soon...Nazi-esque with an Orwellian twist.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Hey, the Nazis had some great scientists and all(as the U.S. and Russia will testify to), but that Final Solution thing was a bit much

Additionally, the world Jewish community is still suffering from it, check out Palestine

And, a reply to the comment below, kudos mate and so true, there's still a lot of reluctance to discuss the Nazis by some people, you have to discuss in order to understand.

This may be controversial but I believe the Nazis did get some things right, sorry for saying but that's what I think and just to clarify, I do think mass extermination is wrong tho.

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
But wait... what exactly was the point of this study or essay? I mean... the exact reason for such "test"?

Because there can be a lot of them that can help you understand history and how the human mind works under certain variables, and when put under the right context will help you to better understand what exactly went through those men's minds.

You could do the same with other eras or personalities like "Understand Caligula for a day"...

Depending on whats behind it, its not necessarily evil... it may actually help you get further down the rabbit hole and get to know evil even better.

EDIT: and things have to be talked about... having "forbidden subjects" dont really help and you know when you dont learn from the past you're doomed to repeat it. I dont get this "nazi taboo" thing... never did.
edit on 13-4-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-4-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
But wait... what exactly was the point of this study or essay? I mean... the exact reason for such "test"?

Because there can be a lot of them that can help you understand history and how the human mind works under certain variables, and when put under the right context will help you to better understand what exactly went through those men's minds.

You could do the same with other eras or personalities like "Understand Caligula for a day"...

Depending on whats behind it, its not necessarily evil... it may actually help you get further down the rabbit hole and get to know evil even better.

EDIT: and things have to be talked about... having "forbidden subjects" dont really help and you know when you dont learn from the past you're doomed to repeat it. I dont get this "nazi taboo" thing... never did.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."
- Voltaire

Had Hitler succeeded in "wiping out the jews", none of them would have settled in the mid east and there would be no war there.
I think debate on the jews and the holocaust can only be informative, educational and healthy.
Why is everyone so skeered of looking at history?
Who is hiding what???
These same "victims" are trying to do the same thing to the Palestinians because the jew/israeli is the master race. wtf???
Can they do this and still play the victim card?
edit on 13-4-2013 by g146541 because: victims...

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The Nazi scientists were fascists dark siders, who do not work for the empowerment, freedom, equality of the people, overall, not every one of them, but the ones we inherited that flooded NASA and CIA, for example, overall.

Some of them may have been wishing they could somehow get truth out and wake people up, however, and they would be white hats, but I want the white hats to do that, not just think it would be nice.......!!!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
Hey, the Nazis had some great scientists and all(as the U.S. and Russia will testify to), but that Final Solution thing was a bit much

Yes, they did at that. Insane brilliance, its what I call it.
What Hilter failed at and also Bill Ayers, too....
They both have/had the same core beliefs at heart.

Hilter's was an obvious Fatal Solution, Bill Ayers is alive and well...
still trying to fulfill his dreams....

There is no "Final Solution", aside from love and decency.

Might as well put this here this is not just about the Nazi/Jewish aspect to the story,
that is only part of it, not the whole for those comments above that are just going
to focus on that, your missing the point

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
You'd soil your pants if you ever saw a mock trial where students actually play the role of Hitler.

This assignment, while over the heads of those with little wisdom, is great at showing just how the human mind rationalizes societal evils.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
26 million soviets died at the hands of the nazis... can we please stop focusing on the jews for a second?

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Talking about evil is one thing. Thinking like evil is something else. Choosing to pollute your soul like that can never be a good thing. Good and evil, right and wrong, are real absolutes. Situational ethics, looking for "gray areas", only leads to evil corrupting us.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
It's an interesting assignment, but for an audience too young.
Why is it interesting?

Well how could you understand history well without understanding it well?

Why did the Nazis do this? Why did they do that?
Oh because they were evil?

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

26 million soviets died at the hands of the nazis... can we please stop focusing on the jews for a second?
That's nothing to the number of Soviets killed by the Soviet government.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I think that this could be a valuable exercise. But not for children. Maybe grad student political science candidates. Or history.

I know when I was in the Army and had to sand table against someone who couldn't get into my enemies head, it was a useless experience. Exercises like this could help in that case.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Yes, thank you.

As I noted in the OP....

Hilter first targeted the Poles,
then the Jews, then the Jehovah’s Witnesses,
then the Roman Gypsies, then the homosexuals,
then the disabled, the Christians, the Catholics...
and he had the black children sterilized.

There are plenty of ways to teach this aside from the way the Common
Core curriculum has it laid out.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Talking about evil is one thing. Thinking like evil is something else. Choosing to pollute your soul like that can never be a good thing. Good and evil, right and wrong, are real absolutes. Situational ethics, looking for "gray areas", only leads to evil corrupting us.

Human race evolved around one single question: "Why?"

We're not going to stop now because we're scared. That happened once. We call it the "Dark Ages" for a reason.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
What is wrong with this assignment? I see FAR more wrong with the district's reaction to bury the teacher's actions in giving it out than the assignment.

I read that carefully and from the material presented, it was worded carefully when it was assigned. He didn't instruct the students to build their own personal argument or to say why they hated Jews, if they did at all. I'd hope the assumption was they did NOT from square one.

What I see here is an English instructor assigning a persuasive argument paper on the most alien and outright objectionably far fetched position that he might imagine coming up with from where I'd be willing to bet he started by assuming his students actually felt for belief. Having written a few of these types of essays myself now in college and delivered one as a public speech, I can very much appreciate the logic.

Basing it off Government (German and American) propaganda of the period tells me it was intended as much for an exercise in critical thinking and, over the course of the effort, realizing themselves how that is used to warp a population's thinking in very insidious ways. In my opinion, to have completed an assignment like this and scored well, the student would HAVE to have spent a period looking at the propaganda from the perspective of those who produced it ...and thereby, understanding in a way nothing else could demonstrate, HOW these things come to happen and actually WORK in a real world national population.

Instead of reacting to the outrage by explaining the concept of critical thinking and the need for a GOOD analytical mind to be able to equally debate a topic from BOTH sides...even if one is hated intensely? They've backtrack so hard that the man I'm guessing never intended this to happen this way must feel about as welcome as the Nazi's he told the students to imagine it was being submitted to.

Booooo on the reaction AND the response from Educational Professionals. High School is plenty old enough to be introduced to the concepts of critical and analytical thought, yet the problem is looked at as exposing the poor kids to a very ugly line of something THAT REALLY DID HAPPEN and not THAT long ago for contextual importance.

edit on 13-4-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: Minor adjustment

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
It's an interesting assignment, but for an audience too young.

I would agree, way too young especially concerning the math,
and the slaves, that is twisted.

And, look at how this affects the children, its divisive,
and offensive.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
If we don't learn from the past history is bound to repeat itself
Learning from the past means to understand the past

If you disagree with this assignment, age group aside, do you think it's evil for police & detectives to look for a motive for a crime committed?

One thing though, understanding why the Nazis did it is important.
But perhaps what is even more important is HOW Hitler came to power, how hyperinflation occurred.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
WAAAAAYYYYYY back when I was in high school, honors history class...we had to act out the Nuremberg trials. Some of us played as Nazi leaders, some had to play as the defense / prosecution lawyers and the judges.

I had to play as Karl Dönitz.

Any assignment is fine, as long as proper discussion is allowed.
edit on 13-4-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
High School is plenty old enough to be introduced to the concepts of critical and analytical thought, yet the problem is looked at as exposing the poor kids to a very ugly line of something THAT REALLY DID HAPPEN and not THAT long ago for contextual importance.

Hi Rabbit,

I agree with much of what you have said, except one of these examples
the children were only grade school age. And, this is all being tracked and recorded,
and put into a data base.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join