It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No BBC ban on Ding Dong!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

The song, which was performed by Garland in the role of Dorothy in 1939 film The Wizard Of Oz, has been leaping up the charts since the former PM died on Monday, and is poised to enter the top five on Sunday. However new director general Lord Hall – while calling the song’s new-found success ‘rather tasteless’, has said that it is not up to him whether or not the song is played. The final decision on whether or not to feature the track on Sunday’s show will reportedly rest with Radio 1 controller Ben Cooper – with some suggestion that the song will be accompanied by an explanation of why it is in the charts if it is played. However some have voiced surprise that the BBC are even considering broadcasting the track, with former Conservative party treasurer Lord McAlpine among those voicing objection. ‘In the past, the corporation has always been careful about matters of taste on important occasions,’ he said. ‘They are letting the charts be hijacked for political purposes. I’m absolutely astounded that they are even considering playing it. It’s another example of how out of control the BBC is.’ Meanwhile Sir Gerald Howarth MP said that Lord Hall was facing a ‘serious test’ and that the BBC had ‘a duty to show good taste and decency’.

metro.co.uk...

What does ATS think, should Ding Dong be allowed?
Bear in mind that a lot of people hate Thatcher in England because she shut down the mines and a lot of people went on strike and starved. Most of the people from those days still hate her to this day.
(sorry for not using external quote)

edit on 12-4-2013 by Parksie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Personally i think it's hilarious. The Nation Vs the Government
Don't let the title mislead you though it could still end up being banned from showing on the charts.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Have a gander here my pretties...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Parksie

Just read an article (but cant find it now) that said the BBC would only play a section of Ding Dong the Witch is Dead. Which with a track that is already only 50 odd seconds long will certainly make this the shortest number 1, if it does indeed reach that position. Personally I think it.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

NOoooooooo You bet me to it

Thread terminated.

Eta: Nerbot bet me to it.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Ya didn't know the BBC was considering allowing it though. While also telling the nation WHY its on.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Lions... Tigers.... And bears!!

There's a song that targets Maggie more than this.

Any one heard of The Exploited?? (punk band)

But yeah, if a song is in the charts it should get played.
It may be disstasteful but, Licence payers pay money for the BBC to be in Business.

But still... Radio 1 is doing nothing new.

They select what music to play all the time. Here are some examples -

www.entertainmentwise.com/news/105111/Not-Relevant-Nicole-Scherzinger-Axed-From-BBC-Radio-1-Playlist-

www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/going-out/music/nicole-scherzinger-boomerang-number-2-1766941

metro.co.uk/2012/06/02/radio-stations-refuse-to-play-alexandra-burkes-new-single-454606/

www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/alexandra-burke-single-let-it-go-snubbed-859713

Most Brits have heard of these two singers.

An excuse that there are "Too Many New releases" is just rubbish.

The big wigs have spoken and taken their bribes to play a certain song to gather influence to result in better sales and more profit for the record company.

If a group dosnt play ball. They don't get to play.

Shows how out of touch BBC radio 1 is... again.

The British public have spoken through the media of song. They have purchased the music.
The song is in the Charts.
The song should be played.
ITS THE WHOLE REASON THAT THERE IS CHART SHOW!

eee.

top topics

join