It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Im concerned.... very very concerned....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
What am I concerned about?
My 7 yr old. She just turned 7 this last December. She is a gifted student, but still a goofy kid. Or so I thought..until this evening. Im starting to think she is an android or some alien. I mean.. not a nice one either.. a pretty damned devious one...

My youngest was a surprise baby in my old age. Im simply not prepared for a mutant alien hybrid thing like this. You see, she plays Minecraft.... a lot. SHe watched the youtubes as well to learn things.. and has a few favorite channels and mods. Tonight I was sitting here watching a documentary with my husband. My husband is a DoD employee who works with computers and cybersecurity. So she doesnt talk to me.. she goes right to him in his recliner and says ( I swear to God) " Dad, I need to break into the Minecraft server to get into some accounts and steal their stuff." and then stands there waiting for dad to go in there and commit a crime with her! Security clearance be damned as she wants potions and diamond swords!

I laugh cause its funny... I dont know about that stuff. My husband on the other hand does and looks at me really seriously and says " she is asking to do the right thing.Where has she heard about game servers and breaking into accounts?!"

So... here it begins. The newest generation of hacker. Do I put money in a college fund.. or a fund for bail and attorney fees??
wait.. thats not funny!

Just thought Id give my fellow ATSers a chuckle. Hey.. if she becomes a super hacker.. at the very least Ill get a decent nursing home, eh?

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Keep your fingers crossed. If she ends up like mine...she'll have a really high security clearance, and a job where you don't have to ever worry about her.

And, if you live long enough, she may end up cloning you. That's what I'm holding out for.....

The smart ones can scare you...huh.....

Des

edit on 8-4-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Keep your fingers crossed. If she ends up like mine...she'll have a really high security clearance, and a job where you don't have to ever worry about her.

And, if you live long enough, she may end up cloning you. That's what I'm holding out for.....

The smart ones can scare you...huh.....

Des

HAH! TY for the upside of the whole situation.
Now if we could just get her to put her shoes on the right feet.....

ETA... I had to edit to tell you.. now I was in my 40's when I miraculously got preg with this one. WHen she does these bizarre things my husband always makes a comment about my eggs being past their expiration date when I got pregnant with her...

edit on 8-4-2013 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I was almost 30, when I had my Girl . Only child...She's so far over my head, I'd need to wear an oxygen mask to breath where her brain lives.

Tell your Hubby, your eggs weren't past their expiration date...they were waiting for their optimum potential....

Des

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Pffft. Your girl needs to learn early on in life that working for diamonds and ingredients to make potions in Minecraft is far more rewarding than taking them from other people.

How else will she get enough experience to fight the Ender Dragon?

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by FollowTheWhiteRabbit
Pffft. Your girl needs to learn early on in life that working for diamonds and ingredients to make potions in Minecraft is far more rewarding than taking them from other people.

I know, I know.

Its the entitlement mindset of her generation. It all started when I bought her the 2 story my little pony crystal castle... with the ponies, magic wand, and ballroom for the ponies to dance. If Id have had any sense Id have bought her Lincoln Logs... our dystopian future is totally my fault...

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
My family nickname when I was growing up was Chip. My wife blames our childrens behavior on defective micro-Chips. I say they were over cooked as all did not want to come out (c-sections). Keep a close eye on her.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
My parents made me play with sticks...
edit on 4/8/13 by Hefficide because: Yes - once again I missed an ENTIRE word!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Hacking has received a more negative connotation in the last fifteen years or so. Hacker/hacking doesn't have to be something you worry about, so first of all, here is some background reading:

White hat (computer security)

Hacker/hacking is pretty analogous to the maker/make community as well:

Maker Culture

First, be proud that your daughter has an interest in technology. Technology is a tool, you should worry more about others who cannot harness this tool as well as your daughter (derpy brothers perhaps? Heh).

It would be wise to encourage her computing and technical skills, obviously balanced with healthy play and exercise. Hopefully then she can grow into a young women who hasn't had her interest in technology socially engineered out ("girls play with barbies", "girls aren't good at math", and other bologna).

One of my college T.A.'s was a 21-year-old from another country with a master's degree in computer science (earned by that young age). She was the definition of a hacker, she understood the importance of privacy/how to use all associated tools, she had a deep understanding of computing, and was very pretty to boot. Nothing can stop a woman like this, heh. I suggest you find other things to worry about!

That said it is important to teach/encourage her to be an "ethical hacker". So that she forms a belief system that includes things that are right and worth standing up for, and can form an opinion about what is wrong/things that she would never partake in despite possibly being skilled enough to do so.

Thanks for your post.
edit on 4/8/2013 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

My parents made play with sticks...

Yeah, well all I had was some q tips. If I squinted they kinda looked like barbies...

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Funny , Funny, Funny

She sounds like she already knows more than me!!

S&F

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AkumaStreak

My husband is red team.. he is as we speak.... making ethical hacking jokes .

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Sticks, eh?.... you were lucky. All we had was dirt.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
reply to post by AkumaStreak

My husband is red team.. he is as we speak.... making ethical hacking jokes .

I think I'm team Edward? Something about vamps?

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I feel ya! My 7 year old just spent over $200 on Farmville tonight!!!!!!
My daughter talks about friending hackers

Raising kids is a tough job nowadays!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
My four year old plays minecraft. He talks about servers and multiplayer and knows all sorts of minecraft lingo. Its an addictive game with many elements. Plus its online always and they are able to talk with people.

Kids are smart with technology these days.

My 4 year old can pull up gangnam style, and its many parodies on youtube ( his favorite is minecraft style go figure) at any computer and he will even boot the damn thing up and open a browser to do it.. His teacher was floored by his computer skills.

I honestly give minecraft credit for his increased skills. He creates things that would not be possible with any educational toy or even lego sets on the market. The stories he makes up for his towns and buildings are fun too. We play together and he plays with his older brothers too.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Ireply to post by Advantage

I can relate to your situation....to some degree at least.

When my oldest son was four years old, he asked me when the world started and how?

Where did the world come from and why he was in it?

I have to admit....I was a proud momma.

I obviously couldn't answer his questions but, I was glad he was asking them.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
oops wrong post

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

OMG they just released the Ender Dragon on 360. We promptly went and killed him good.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Yeah, well all I had was some q tips. If I squinted they kinda looked like barbies...

I'm jealous! All I had was the dried mud around the top of crawdad holes.....I got really creative with it, though....

My first toy...

Des

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join