It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Digital Technology Has Helped Unleash a Devastating New Era of Propaganda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I'm posting this in the general conspiracies forum because I would like to discuss the content of the article and propaganda in general. Hopefully this is in the correct forum. If not, mods please move to the correct section.

“Propaganda always wins,” said Leni Riefenstahl, “if you allow it.”

Source

What is modern propaganda? For many, it is the lies of a totalitarian state. In the 1970s, I met Leni Riefenstahl and asked her about her epic films that glorified the Nazis. Using revolutionary camera and lighting techniques, she produced a documentary form that mesmerised Germans; her Triumph of the Will cast Hitler’s spell. She told me that the “messages” of her films were dependent not on “orders from above”, but on the “submissive void” of the German public. Did that include the liberal, educated bourgeoisie? “Everyone,” she said.

In my opinion the author seems to be going on a bitter rant. I do like the points on how he mentions how new technology would be used as propaganda and the bitter rivalry with the U.S. and Iran. As the reason John Pilger mentions the latest movie with Ben Affleck in Argo. As a rational character it's hard to take everything in because most of what the author says is opinion. Because I can tell by his rant his progressive views present this type of world that he sees regardless if he has facts. I'm not hating on him; I just want to see more fruit to his argument. Reading the article I was reminded how the Chinese Communist Party won the Chinese Civil war because they were able to win more hearts and minds of the Chinese people and allies throughout the world.

I would like to start a discussion on propaganda, what it is, and how it works. There is no right and wrong in away the diverse members on this site will have different views on the subject.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Hello Phoenix....giving you a S&F and a bump, lol...because I believe this is an important topic.
It is truly amazing how many people believe what they hear, read or see on tv....without looking any deeper, or questioning what they're told.
There is so much buzz about North Korea's people being completely brainwashed, but how do we know that we ourselves are not? I suppose life is easier if you have blind faith/trust that TPTB have our best interests at heart....don't ask, don't question....just believe.
Propoganda is dangerous.....so is the agenda behind it.
Looking forward to see what others have to say.
jacygirl

P.S. Just had Easter with my husband's family....most of them watch 20 minutes of CNN in the morning, and think they know exactly what's going on in the world. Me being at ATSer...wanted to slam my head into a wall, lol!!

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Hi op

Please dont flame me members for this..

To start with propaganda we have to go a long way back

The most modern use of propaganda was Adolph Hitler
His support of the mass produced radio cheaply ensured that most households would listen.

Just my opinion please be gentle....

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
In the Legend of the Seeker books, the author hits on a striking revelation... he calls it the Wizard's first rule.

“People are stupid. They will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.”
― Terry Goodkind, Wizard's First Rule

It's the same with propaganda.. people don't question things anymore, they believe because they fear it might be true.
edit on 4-4-2013 by Invariance because: OCD alert - typo corrected

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

This reminds me of a comment by Neil deGrasse Tyson as to why he list eight books every intelligent person should read. This is about the bible and why we should read the bible.

“To learn that it’s easier to be told by others what to think and believe than it is to think for yourself.”

As you can see from the quote it is easier to live as a person who is told what to think; than to question what right and wrong.

The entire list

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

There is no need to worry. I wouldn't be surprise Adolf Hitler and the Nazis would capitalize on whatever tools they can use. Like movies, music, religion, etc. Whatever stirs emotion in people.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

Cheers op

Yes he was good at taking advantage, though still a (bastardo)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

I appreciate your perspective - but propaganda in the modern era preceeds Hitler by a few decades (Bernay) and the use of radio/mass media for propaganda purposes continues unabated into the modern day. Communications seem much more easily classified as propaganda when looking into long past events - wasn't Goebbels the Propaganda Minister for Hitler? Today we have Press Liasons, Official Spokespersons - and just about every politician and cabinet level official with staffs of spin doctors to craft their propaganda as press releases, news leaks, etc.

Chomsky said: "The logic is clear. Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state."

THE GOOD NEWS (ha) is that with the digital age and the internet anyone and everyone can engage in their own propagandazing - or counter-propagandizing. On the down side is that there are virtually NO sources of trusted information any longer.

ganjoa
edit on 4-4-2013 by ganjoa because: spelling

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

THE GOOD NEWS (ha) is that with the digital age and the internet anyone and everyone can engage in their own propagandazing - or counter-propagandizing. On the down side is that there are virtually NO sources of trusted information any longer.

Exactly even though people would use technology to easily find information on a product. Someone trying to claim that something is this or that will do anything they can to scare someone. You also have people who will try to disprove their claims. The only issue is that it seems instead of fact and logic. They'll try to influence the individual with spectacle. That way it would easier for either side just to get fans and support compared to someone who would use their intellect finding the facts.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
We should also look at the positive aspects of propaganda as well as the bad. One of the more famous examples is the "Just Say No" campaign by Nancy Reagan, you saw this plastered everywhere and undoubtably it saved more than a few kids from going down the path of drugs.

The D.A.R.E. campaign has also been very successful, Smokey the Bear is another one that comes to mind.

At their heart, they are nothing more than official propaganda put out by the State yet they are used in positive ways. Is propaganda bad then?

I'd say no, its the intention behind it. Would anyone say that Rosie the Riveter was bad for getting women involved in WWII when their help was desperately needed even though if you switched her picture out for a Swastika you may consider that bad even though the method is exactly the same for each.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

You're right. There can be both negative and positive forms of propaganda. In my opinion propaganda should be use in good ways and keeping the state to survive in times of war and economic struggle. We're apart of communities that make up the states that make up the country. We need to work together to survive and respect one another.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Propaganda is propaganda... lies be them for good or for ill, they are still LIES.. euphemisms, smoke and mirrors.

The truth is never propaganda... it's the TRUTH

Propaganda is the art of influencing people and it is wrong, no matter what the reason is!

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
You should always do your own research on a subject

Actual research. Wikipedia articles and quick google searches don't count.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Is there such a thing as truth. I find it impossible to really know the whole story. If we can know everything. What we need to do is survive and treat others and ourselves with respect.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SouthExpected

Every source is helpful when trying to put the puzzle together with random pieces. Today there are many opinions that it will make your head spin. I just try to find the truth through all the glitter and glamor.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267

Is there such a thing as truth. I find it impossible to really know the whole story. If we can know everything. What we need to do is survive and treat others and ourselves with respect.

Of course there is such a thing, one must sometimes dig very deep... but it's there

One must also take the blinders off and approach things with a clear, analytical logic.

Some people still tell the truth, and for some people it is even part of their religion to be truthful in all dealings.

(As Rafiki in the Lion King said: "Look harder")

new topics

top topics

join