It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Watch 2013-2019

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

Satire?

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
You can't really be surprised by China. If North Mexico were North Korea, and South Mexico were South Korea, and China had a pact with South Mexico, the US would likely put forces on standby on the US and North Mexican border. Its called logic.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by Res Ipsa

My only problem with it is this.

When NK decides to launch a few mortars on SK soil, will SK actually respond with said force?

If that happens, as it already has happened in the past, I think this time SK fires back.

yes, they probably would respond this time. I wasn't implying that the situation is immune to "mistake" but
the official position of NK isn't as dire as we are led to believe

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko
Thank you for the great thread concept Senduko. The format you are pushing really helps keep up on the breaking headline news. I, for one, would also really appreciate a companion thread that consolidates less reliable information and ATS members' speculation.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

i pee'd myself laughing from this. on an unrelated note this situation is serious and i hope everything diffuses for the better of mankind

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
well it seems the sanctions are not working to keep DPRK form getting nukes, for electricity or for weapons from KCNA

DPRK to Adjust Uses of Existing Nuclear Facilities

[Article List]
[Video]
[Photo]
[Music]
[Larger Font]
[Smaller Font]
[Expand]

Korean / English / Chinese / Spanish / Japanese
Pyongyang, April 2 (KCNA) -- A spokesman for the General Department of Atomic Energy of the DPRK gave the following answer to a question raised by KCNA as regards the new strategic line laid down at the March, 2013 plenary meeting of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea on simultaneously pushing forward economic construction and the building of nuclear armed force to cope with the prevailing situation so as to meet the law-governing requirements of the development of the Korean revolution:
The field of atomic energy is faced with heavy tasks for making a positive contribution to solving the acute shortage of electricity by developing the self-reliant nuclear power industry and for bolstering up the nuclear armed force both in quality and quantity till the world is denuclearized, pursuant to the strategic line on simultaneously pushing forward economic construction and the building of the nuclear armed force.
The General Department of Atomic Energy of the DRPK decided to adjust and alter the uses of the existing nuclear facilities, to begin with, in accordance with the line.
This will include the measure for readjusting and restarting all the nuclear facilities in Nyongbyon including uranium enrichment plant and 5MW graphite moderated reactor which had been mothballed and disabled under an agreement reached at the six-party talks in October, 2007.
This work will be put into practice without delay. -0-
wonder how many more will starve or turn to cannibalism for Un to have his nukes , think the US will let this go with out more sanctions? Also from the same

Intensified Anti-U.S. Action Called for

[Article List]
[Video]
[Photo]
[Music]
[Larger Font]
[Smaller Font]
[Expand]

Korean / English / Chinese / Spanish / Japanese
Pyongyang, April 2 (KCNA) -- The North Side Committee for Implementing the June 15 Joint Declaration in a statement on Monday fully supported the important decision made by the dear respected Marshal Kim Jong Un at an operation meeting on the performance of duty of the Strategic Rocket Force of the Korean People's Army on firepower strike and the new strategic line laid down at the March Plenary Meeting of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea.
The U.S. imperialists are the root cause of the split of the Korean nation and all sorts of its misfortune and pain and the sworn enemy of the Koreans as they are standing in the way of the reunification of Korea, the cherished desire of the nation, and working hard to ignite a nuclear war on this land, the statement said, and went on:
At this time, too, they are staging DPRK-targeted madcap joint military exercises in the sky, land and seas of south Korea under various codenames together with the south Korean warmongers after massively introducing huge aggression forces and war hardware into it.
Defying the repeated warnings of the DPRK, they let B-52, B-2A and other strategic nuclear fighter bombers make sorties to the sky above south Korea in succession for nuclear bomb-dropping drills, escalating the threat to the DPRK.
This clearly proves that the U.S. imperialists' scenario to launch a nuclear war on the Korean Peninsula at any cost has reached an extremely reckless phase of its implementation.
The U.S. imperialists and the south Korean puppet group of traitors have worked out even a scenario to bring down the monuments to the immortality of the leaders, symbolic of Songun Korea.
As already clarified by the DPRK, gone are the days when it could have verbal exchange with them.
To wage a merciless just retaliatory war is the only way of rooting out the source of the danger of a nuclear war on this land and build a peaceful and prosperous reunified thriving nation where all Koreans live together.
The U.S. imperialists and pro-U.S. group of traitors should clearly know that the moment when they ignite a war of aggression will be a beginning of their miserable fate as it will precipitate their final destruction.
When they unleash a war against the DPRK, its disasters will be brought to the south Koreans.
The south Korean people should turn out as one in the just action against the U.S. to resolutely foil the anti-DPRK nuclear war racket kicked up by the U.S. imperialists and the puppet group, clearly understanding what is the root cause of the present situation and what disastrous consequences will be entailed by it. -0-
Un and his group of selfish dictators, ie.the DPRK leadership, will not give up nor will they seek peace but seek war and anger, but it does look like they are losing steam, in their words.

To wage a merciless just retaliatory war is the only way of rooting out the source of the danger of a nuclear war on this land and build a peaceful and prosperous reunified thriving nation where all Koreans live together.
that the best you can say? Little Kim I like nukes, head looks like pan, Jong Un or is it UEn
edit on 2-4-2013 by bekod because: line edit

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueAjah

Originally posted by Just Chris

Originally posted by Bearack
China mobilizing troops, jets near N. Korean border, US officials say

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

China has placed military forces on heightened alert in the northeastern part of the country as tensions mount on the Korean peninsula following recent threats by Pyongyang to attack, U.S. officials said. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

This is extremely concerning!

With regards to the news article you posted up. Is this supposed to give the impression that China will be siding with North Korea after-all?

That's the way I took it.
If you look at what China has to gain from this conflict, and their longstanding support of NK, I fear we are very close to WWIII.

China's navy also conducted live-firing naval drills by warships in the Yellow Sea that were set to end Monday near the Korean peninsula, in apparent support of North Korea, which was angered by ongoing U.S.-South Korean military drills that are set to continue throughout April.

So says everyone... everyone that is that is living in the world before Globalism came into being

The rulers of the world agree on one thing.....

No rouge Nation matters.... USA is Not unconditional with Israel anymore, Russia is not with Iran, China with neither Pakistan or NK

No non aligned nation will deal war particularly with wmds and not be reduced to rubble

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Who stands to gain most from this conflict?
The domestic IT, heavy industry & Auto sectors.

Who is LG, Samsung, KIA, Hyundai, Daewoo competition for and literally pounding into the dust in the markets?
Where are their goods manufactured? Anyone else in the neighborhood have a monopoly on manufacturing the "domestically designed goods" of the West?

I still think a "Seoul" is about to be sacrificed if there's any truth to "All wars are banker wars".

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Marvelous...

Someone should tell Kim to stop his sharks and jets routine.

As for Chinese mobilization - That one is interesting. China has more inside info on N. Korea than any other nation. For them to take that step tells me something drastically went wrong.

Me thinks N. Korea has gone off the deep end and is now calling audible's while leaving China on the bench. If N. Korea is ignoring China, we have a massive problem.

Even if we go with the mobilization for dealing with refugees, it still tells us China is prepping for something that may not be stopped.

We could also look to see if China might be getting ready to stabilize North Korean via invasion. Remove the spoiled brat and go from there.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
02/04/13Amid the Noise, Here’s a North Korean Signal to Watch For
blogs.wsj.com...

North Korea’s decision on Wednesday to sever the last military communications link with South Korea was significant because the phone line is used to coordinate traffic heading from the South into the Kaesong Industrial Complex, a few miles inside the North.

Without that hot line, operations at the jointly-run manufacturing zone could have been affected if managers and materials from the South hadn’t been able to get to the park. But according to reports Thursday morning, traffic heading from the South into the industrial zone has been unaffected. Hundreds of South Koreans travel to the park each day.

Okay this is getting serious...

and
02/04/13 North Korea 'crisis gone too far' says UN's Ban Ki-moon
www.bbc.co.uk...#?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

UN chief Ban Ki-moon has said the North Korea "crisis has gone too far" after Pyongyang announced plans to restart its main Yongbyon nuclear complex.

Speaking at a news conference in Andorra, where he is on a visit, Mr Ban called for urgent talks with the North.

The move by Pyongyang is the latest in a series of measures in the wake of its third nuclear test in February.

edit on 2-4-2013 by Senduko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

Sorry Senduko I do not no how to imbed stuff

It was just on the news that NK has turn 3 missiles on SK

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ballymoney50

Yeah, this isn't news, its been like that for a few days now, When reading articles its really important to read to date. News/media likes to rehash old material. Sensation sell's
I'm pretty sure you will find the same article a few post back.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

(3rd LD) N. Korea says will restart its 5 megawatt graphite moderated reactor

english.yonhapnews.co.kr...

North Korea on Tuesday said it plans to restart its 5 megawatt nuclear reactor that was shut down under an agreement reached at the six-party talks in 2007, a move that will allow the North to extract plutonium from spent fuel rods.

The Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), citing a spokesman for the General Department of Atomic Energy, said measures will be taken to "adjust and alter the use of existing nuclear facilities" so operations of the graphite moderated reactor in Yongbyon can resume.

The spokesman did not say when the reactor will be restarted, but claimed "work will be put into practice without delay." All nuclear facilities at Yongbyon, including the uranium enrichment plant as well as the reactor, will be refurbished as part of resuming operations, he elaborated.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Marvelous...

Someone should tell Kim to stop his sharks and jets routine.

As for Chinese mobilization - That one is interesting. China has more inside info on N. Korea than any other nation. For them to take that step tells me something drastically went wrong.

Me thinks N. Korea has gone off the deep end and is now calling audible's while leaving China on the bench. If N. Korea is ignoring China, we have a massive problem.

Even if we go with the mobilization for dealing with refugees, it still tells us China is prepping for something that may not be stopped.

We could also look to see if China might be getting ready to stabilize North Korean via invasion. Remove the spoiled brat and go from there.

I agree with the bolded statement. I think a unified Korea would suite them economically but would be disastrous in terms of having a democratic nation flaunted so close to them. I would see them once the leadership fell, moving in and gobbling up and installing their own puppet that they would have even more control over. Granted, any escalation could be a very, VERY bad thing.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Someone may have said this before, but I was thinking today about how a war with NK involving a nuke or two would help the cause of a OWG. And it occurred to me that they could use this to scare people into accepting a OWG so that "rogue states" don't do this kind of thing again.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
First post, can't make a thread so I hope it is welcomed and investigated here.

I did some research into DPRK's nuclear program and co-operation with the West and I found some very interesting, and quite bizarre information, specifically relating to a group known as Kedo (www.kedo.org). Please read their "Supply Agreement" and "Agreed Framework" for Light Water Nuclear reactors (the kind best used for creating electricity, but as you'll see later experts are suggesting they can be used produce weapons grade).

I read at the BBC today that (in relation to Ban Ki Moons' condemnation and the original 2007 closing of Yongbyon nuclear complex www.bbc.co.uk...)

"Part of the reason the agreement fell apart was because the US did not believe Pyongyang was fully disclosing all of its nuclear facilities - a suspicion later bolstered when North Korea unveiled a uranium enrichment facility at Yongbyon to US scientist Siegfried Hecker in 2010.

While it appeared to be for electricity generation purposes, Mr Hecker said the facility could be readily converted to produce highly-enriched uranium for bombs."

Mr Hecker is (cisac.stanford.edu...) "Senior Fellow CISAC, FSI and Professor (Research), Department of Management Science and Engineering; FSI Senior Fellow; CISAC Co-Director Emeritus"

"Hecker's research interests include plutonium science, nuclear weapon policy and international security, nuclear security (including nonproliferation and counter terrorism), and cooperative nuclear threat reduction."

Here Hecker states "http://www.homepagedaily.com/Pages/article11171-stanfords-hecker-provides-window-into-north-koreas-nuclear-activity.aspx

"Hecker said construction of the reactor, which is in its early stages, is not a new finding, as was widely reported after the trip. “They told us in [February] 2009 they were going to build a light-water reactor,” he said"

So in 1994 (Geneva) this agreement between the EU, US, Japan and DPRK was signed to supply DPRK with LWR materials, assembly and maintenance - in 2004 the agreement suspended for a year according to KEDO on 11/26/2004

"The Executive Board of Korean Peninsula Energy Development Organization (KEDO), consisting of the United States, the Republic of Korea, Japan, and the European Union, has decided to continue the suspension of the Light Water Reactor (LWR) Project in the DPRK for another year, beginning December 1, 2004.

The preservation and maintenance work both on-site and off-site will continue. KEDO will continue to consult with the DPRK in this process."

So 10 years on they have replaced, with supply and under guidance of, well let's just call it NATO since thats what it is, their graphite-moderated reactor in favour of using the new Light-water equipment. This is all part of the agreement.

Yet we're told the old 'dirty' reactor was closed only in 2007 in order to appeal for aid, and yet in 2009 it comes as a surprise (or at least an expected to Hecker, a senior Aide with ties to Russia and DPRK, that they have just begun building a light water reactor - so did those LWR parts supplied by the US, EU Japan and amazingly South Korea to the North in 1995 onwards just sit in the country for over a decade? Why then would maintenance be required for the facility during the suspension?

Why the heck doesn't Hecker know about KEDO and the Light Water Reactors supplied to DPRK? Why doesn't the BBC know?

The only answer I can muster is that NK are (in irony to their use of the term for their Southern neighbours) very much a puppet nation controlled not by China but by the West, kept in reserve for the False Flag of a lifetime?. Can we beleive anything we're told about them. Can some perhaps more diligent ATSers review the info here and shed some light please? Sorry it's a bit fragmented and long winded.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
China doesn't want the WAR, because, they like it as it is right now with the communist North Korea buffering South Korea. A powerful United States ally so close to China is not good for them (as they see it)

All these threats are basically for domestic consumption. To make the new leader seem strong, that he can stand up to the United States.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by talisman

I would normally agree with you on this, but currently, he's left very little wiggle room to save face and end this well. He's pushed it too far, so far, that the first one asking to come to the bargaining table will lose political face, and neither wants that. In the end, we'll likely be the ones to do it, and ask him to the table, just to stop it, but ideally, China may just call for the talks, so BOTH parties can save face. Then it comes down to the deal, which will involve a lot of give and take on both sides to be workable.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
This is an interesting piece from Rodong Sinmum regarding their Nuclear Weapon arsenal....it almost seems as if they're back-tracking a little bit, but it seems they still want to set their own rules and give two fingers to the UN either way.

April 2nd 2013 - Law on Consolidating Position of Nuclear Weapons State Adopted

4. The nuclear weapons of the DPRK can be used only by a final order of the Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army to repel invasion or attack from a hostile nuclear weapons state and make retaliatory strikes.

5. The DPRK shall neither use nukes against the non-nuclear states nor threaten them with those weapons unless they join a hostile nuclear weapons state in its invasion and attack on the DPRK.

6. The DPRK shall strictly observe the rules on safekeeping and management of nukes and ensuring the stability of nuclear tests.

Full article below:
umpa.tk...
edit on 2-4-2013 by Just Chris because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Un has done it now , he went and done PO UN worldnews.nbcnews.com... from the link

North Korea crisis has 'gone too far' - UN chief Ban Ki-moon

As the U.S. deploys a Navy missile destroyer in case of a launch by North Korea, the country's leader Kim Jong Un has abolished an armistice with South Korea and is now saying he will re-open a nuclear bomb facility that was closed in 2007. NBC's Richard Engel reports.
By Andrea Mitchell, Jim Miklaszewski and Ian Johnston, NBC News

The North Korea “crisis has already gone too far,” United Nations chief Ban Ki-moon said Tuesday after Pyongyang announced plans to restart its main Yongbyon nuclear complex.

“Nuclear threats are not a game. Aggressive rhetoric and military posturing only result in counter-actions, and fuel fear and instability," he said at a news conference in Andorra, where he was on an official visit.

The U.S. Navy is shifting a guided-missile destroyer in the Pacific to waters off the Korean peninsula in the wake of ongoing rhetoric from North Korea, U.S. defense officials said Monday.

NBC's Jim Maceda reports on U.S. Navy movements of destroyers into the Pacific amid threats from North Korea.
Advertise | AdChoices

Ban offered to facilitate peace talks, but how the North would react was not immediately clear. Ban was South Korea's foreign affairs minister before election to his UN post.
Oh no Un there you go , you went and did it now , you got UN mad at you.
edit on 2-4-2013 by bekod because: line edit

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join