It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people take life so seriously?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
You have to do things you do not like, to do things you do like.

If you only do things you like, one day, you will end up only doing things you do not like for the rest of your life.
edit on 29-3-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

I always try to do the things I don't like first...just to get them out of the way. That way they don't rear their ugly head at a future date. It's a pain, but must be done.

And that way, I can also say, "**** it", like the OP says and enjoy myself worry free.

Mostly though, I just live day by day. Any plans I seem to make more than a week out seem to get squished like a bug. It's odd, but once I accepted that, life is a lot easier.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Says who? God? Government? Society?

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theimp
reply to post by Biigs

mostly history.

EDIT: however if you are lucky enough, you will like doing something others dont then you get to have it both ways - unfortunately not everyone that wants to, ends up a rock star

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs

reply to post by Biigs

mostly history.

EDIT: however if you are lucky enough, you will like doing something others dont then you get to have it both ways - unfortunately not everyone that wants to, ends up a rock star

I don't think you need to end up as a rockstar to enjoy life... nor do you need to have a job to simply live life. I think there is a real disconnect between the two that most people just can't grasp.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

reply to post by darkbake

I say define success. Is it money? Is it being able to attract women? Is it family? To each his own, literally.

To say that Bill Gates, a man that obviously lives for money, is successful because he's a billionaire is ludicrous to the man that lives for his family or country.

The point I make is live YOUR LIFE! Do what you want regardless of what society says. If you want to go to Harvard and be the next big shot, if that's honestly what YOU want, then so be it. If you want to drink or smoke all damn day, then so be it.

The only success in this world is being happy. If you're not happy in what you're doing, then really, what is the #ing point?!

Nope you don't need anything to be happy. All you have to do is love yourself first, then happiness will follow.

edit on 29-3-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

You sir are correct. Minus the basics to survive, not much more is needed but a good woman and a warm home.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I never said it was glamorous man, simply free. That's all that matters. Living life the way you want to and not the way society tells you that you should.

Oh so you want to be homeless, and living in the gutter?

Is that really being free though?

I have also been homeless, and even done the hippy traveler thing, and I can tell you if you really don't want to take life seriously that is not the way to do it. Life gets serious pretty damned quick on the streets.

I think it's you who is taking life too seriously.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

No I do not want to be homeless again. I do believe that a man needs to hit rock bottom before he finds himself though.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

reply to post by ANOK

I never said it was glamorous man, simply free. That's all that matters. Living life the way you want to and not the way society tells you that you should.

Generally that leads to a sense of freedom! feeling cold, hot in summer, hungry, helpless when in need or ill, dirty and itchy and in need of begging from those that are all uptight and do the job for those reasons.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I have a sister, she feels very much as you are talking about. She hates people for "working for the Man" she will have none of the uptight loss of freedom.

All that is great if you live in the Garden of Eden....but sadly that is gone.

Either you take responsibility because life =work OR someone who loves you will have no choice but be responsible for you.

She went to college and got two degrees on loans, paid by tax payers who work for the "Man". She had no intention of using those or paying them back, it was an easy life because she is super smart. She is also beautiful so lives off many men who in her opinion are scum because they work for the "Man".

If she relaxes on a sofa and watches a TV or has a nice meal someone else worked for it.

When she gets old and has no where left to mooch someone of us will have to shoulder her burden and ours too.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Theimp

To me life is serious, funny, troublesome, sometimes boring and challenging; I think it is most important to love and be loved; kindness is a strength.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
That's not the best attitude to have, especially these days.

Our society is crumbling because of that attitude which really started in the 60's.Dare i say it, but i think we've had our mindless fun and it's time to get back on track and work for a better tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Nothing gets done with humanity unless there is FEAR!
reply to post by Theimp

Think about it. What did the first humans feel any time they heard a noise in the woods? When they came upon another tribe of humans? When they fought off predators? When they got a disease? When they migrated out of Africa? When they ran out of water?

I could go on and on, but the point is, humans are designed to fear. It was probably a necessary adaption from evolution and has saved our skins more than any other emotion. Humans can't stop fearing things; it's as simple as that.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Funny, I always wonder why people take their lives so 'unseriously'.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
That's not the best attitude to have, especially these days.

Our society is crumbling because of that attitude which really started in the 60's.Dare i say it, but i think we've had our mindless fun and it's time to get back on track and work for a better tomorrow.

I doubt this "idea" started in the 60s, but please do not mistake intent. I intend freedom, that does not mean I do not believe in work. I just think that true freedom is being able to work for yourself and not for corporate greed.

With that said, I think people just need to learn to stop worrying about things so much. People need to learn to just let the chips fall where they may sometimes.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Right, but the first thing you're taught in any self defense class is to learn how to shut that instinct off. It's always better to keep a solid and clear mind rather than throwing a panic fit.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I'm not sure if I'm giving an accurate interpretation of the OP's philosophy or just putting my own take on it, but I think I see what he is saying, and that is : if you truly enjoy doing something and are not doing it simply from fear - fear of what other will say, think about you, do, etc - eff it because the only person losing out on that chance to be happy is you. The people holding you back are going to (and probably already do) still think poorly or bad of you anyway, in fact you might be pleasantly surprised by the people who now respect you and support you for being your own person.

I saw a lady in Walmart the other day and she was quite literally wearing a cape that looked like it had been made from silver and purple curtains. She was heavyset and had in pod plugs pushing her art along and for a brief instant I was appalled, perhaps taken aback at how bizarre her getup was and remember thinking she had her earphones in to avoid hearing the ridicule of others.

Then the non-brain washed, decent part of me kicked in and I saw someone who balks at the hypocrisy and cruelty of society's overt and covert demands for conformity, the judgemental assessment of a persons worth simply by their appearance (attractive=good, unattractive= not only bad but unworthy of even simple courtesy or respect; and that submission to social norms somehow makes someone a decent person.

Some of you may jump in and say- perhaps with detached commentary or just your own brainwashed ideals- that we subconsciously assess danger to our immediate survival and long term choices for offspring, blah blah, as someone ugly may harbor genetic issues, those not following societal norms for how they look or dress may be dangerous but we're not talking someone along such lines even if they have any value for survival, but my pont is that as much as I detest cruelty and bullying and such, that years of brainwashing from Subconcious and subliminal
calls have made many of the problems we have for automatically judging someone and their perceived worth not only has turned many of us into shallow jerks that automatically and subconsciously judge others for pointless reasons but also judge and constantly monitor ourselves.

I can't count the number of times I have not done something I wanted to o would have most probably enjoyed to fear of what others woud think, even when those people already regard me as beneath contempt for no reason. And I'm not talking about anything that would harm any living creature or infringe on others or damage anything.so I generally am not very happy, could be much worse (I too have experienced over a year of unemployment, having to move back to my dads as an adult, etc, so very cognizant of having to do things for simple survival - but even though things have gotten better than those nightmarish times, I don't feel very happy, and wonder if I'd simply stop being afraid of what others migh think say or do and live for myself and do those little and not so little things I really want, then how much better and more fulfilling would my life be? Perhaps it would even out all those things that I have to do at the present (working at a job that would enjoy far better if there weren't so many nasty mean people, living in an area I swore I'd never return to nice I was old enough to leave, etc etc) - perhaps it would help balance ths all out.

As much as fear, I think most of us avoid doing things we want because we don't to rock the boat - ie not only draw attention to ourselves from those mystery masses of disproving others, but bring about unwanted but potentially necessary actions should what want to goes wrong when we finally do it. Finally asked out that person you had a crush on and they said Yes! But turned out to have even more issues than I do and now want to just be friends...broke into song in the lunch room and was a hit but now being asked to sing in front of an auditorium...

Of course these follow up things are obviously just more fears, but demonstrates that sometimes maintaining te status quo is as much due to fear as it is to compromising and deciding to keep a current mediocre but known situation as the risk isn't worth it, at least at at present, but totally agree the idea has significant practical applications!

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
While I typically adopt that attitude toward life, it isn't always possible (or at least it isn't always tenable.)

I have chronic health issues, and there are people with far worse health issues than mine. Starting over again isn't possible for everyone necessarily if you can't work. And homelessness would result in severe suffering for someone like me, and those in similar or far worse situations. For a variety of reasons.

I agree with accepting that we're mortal, life ends, bad things happen, and just living for the moment, etc. I do. And I practice that in my life. But suffering does come. I don't agree with worrying about it before hand necessarily (though some preparedness is a good thing in my opinion,) but once it comes, I am not a big believer in the whole, "just think positive, everything will be fine" stance. Things hurt. Suffering is painful. That's why it's called suffering. And the prospect of losing everything, if the only probable outcome in your case is continued suffering, is not a pleasant prospect.

So I agree with the general premise in principle. People worry far too much in my view, and some acceptance of the inevitability of death and change is healthy. But there are times when being overwhelmed or in pain are unavoidable, depending on the person.

But I do completely agree with not worrying about the "rat race" and just doing what you can and what makes you happy. (Provided you aren't harming anyone.)

Peace.
edit on 3/31/2013 by AceWombat04 because: Typos

edit on 3/31/2013 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
The problem with advice like "Do what makes you feel good" - is that its open to interpretation.

Lets say i enjoy doing something that hurts others. Or perhaps something that the law says i cant do, or even something id like to be able to do one day but do not possess the ability to do.

It is a very broad statement.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I feel some really don't know where I am coming from here, and I'd like to try and expand a bit. Do you honestly believe that your body and mind was created to sit at a desk 8 hours a day? Do you honestly think that your sexual drive was made to be with a single man or woman? The idea is simply to act human regardless of where that may take you. If you hate your job or your spouse, just leave without caring about the consequence. Are the lights being shut out? Buy some candles. The idea here is that you only get one life and that you should live it the way you want regardless of what society says and even if that means you lose absolutely everything.

Let me tell you something, you can rebuild your life. You can have a new tv and car. You can't get back years wasted though. Today will never happen again no matter how hard your work or try. So live today because you always have a chance to change tomorrow.
edit on 31-3-2013 by Theimp because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join