It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrage as Department of Education Quotes Notorious Chinese Leader Mao Zedong on its Website

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Yes, it's bad to show kids quotes without any context. Should have been used as a teaching moment - except the kids should have been at least high school age - unless it was highschool - with the crayon pictures, our lame educational system.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Yes well, we don't want our children learning educational and inspirational quotes from dictators and mass murders. Period.

Nope, can't have that.

Only what "we" think is relevant to learn? According to who?

That's not American, that's...fascist.

Education should cover everything imaginable that is true. Mao said something that was true and relevant, but he was also a genocidal maniac. Education should cover the good and the bad.

That's the point in learning.

Should we discount truth, then, based upon who said it?

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I think it would be a bit different if it were quotes from hitler,outrage i tell ya outrage. Im sure other individuals said similar things to mao.
Dont they still pay homage to mao in china? Statues and so on.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by Cabin

Yes, it's bad to show kids quotes without any context. Should have been used as a teaching moment - except the kids should have been at least high school age - unless it was highschool - with the crayon pictures, our lame educational system.

Who cares about the context? It is disturbing for me, that the persons behind the words are evaluated. If Lincoln had said the same thing, it would be nearly in every textbook at the same age group...

High-school is really too late for something like that. Believe me, they come across much worse violence in video games. I knew all the stuff like that in around 2nd grade. In the summer between the 1st and 2nd grade, I read all the Tolkien books and Remarque. I had this huge kids encyclopedia by DK from where I knew about the history, mayans, asteque, babylon, china, all the wars. I was fascinated with pirates like Drake and Cook and mummys- I read some cruesome books about them in 2nd grade. Another fascination for me was crime novels. By 3rd grade I read basically all Sherlock Holmes and Poirot novels. I knew about all the famous serial killers and mass murdrerers. Although there is nothing wrong with me. I have not become into violent ADHD-kid, although I have also played lots of War Games like COD and CS at some point. I have never had problems with police, never held a gun. Never fought with anyone. It overally has turned me into much more peaceful person, as I know about the things happened in the past.

The thing is, kids should be taught about these things lightly. My history lessons started from 5th grade, although I believe these should be started before (lightly) in order to create at least some sense of reality in the kids. Otherwise they might get hold of it themselves and usually games weaken their sense of reality and it might lead to all kinds of mental disorders.

When such things were only talked in High School, nobody would know nothing about history, except what they learned from games and movies. By high school, most kids have seen much worse, believe me.

edit on 25-3-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Reply to post by Cabin

I am not quite following your point.

Are saying that children should be told the naked version of history?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
Reply to post by Cabin

I am not quite following your point.

Are saying that children should be told the naked version of history?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Naked truth, no. I believe world history should be taken through 3 times, every time more thoroughly, so from 2nd to 4th grade they would get the idea, that war and guns are not good and the overall brief history of the world.

Lightly telling should not be disturbing

Most kids get hold of first shooter games at around 2-3rd grade. Games are cool, although at such age they are influenced a lot by them and start to believe that guns and shooting is cool, it is fun and we do not want that, right?

I have seen so many 12-13 year olds kids who truly believe how cool and fun killing and war are, although these are horrible things. They simply have "not learned" about the stuff yet at school.

They get to know about the stuff rather early, so it would be a bit more preemptive method. Even on Cartoon channel or any "kids" games website they can get to see all kinds of killing games, so why not let them know beforehand that such things in real life are horrible and should never even be considered right.

edit on 25-3-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
...is it still wrong if the words he's saying are right?

I mean look at what Mao is saying there objectively for a second.
Now imagine if Lincoln said it, feel better?

Obviously it's wrong to put a Mao quote on a kids site i'm just saying that what is being thought isn't necessarily that bad.

Should we go out looking for Hitler quotes?

If you look hard I'm sure he said something nice.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   

reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

A good, but hard to watch at times, movie to see about what happened in vietnam after the us left is "The Killing Fields" - before someone puts up a thread about how great ho chi minh was.

"The Killing Fields" is about what happened in Cambodia. It was Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge not Ho Chi Minh.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamahuhu

reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

A good, but hard to watch at times, movie to see about what happened in vietnam after the us left is "The Killing Fields" - before someone puts up a thread about how great ho chi minh was.

"The Killing Fields" is about what happened in Cambodia. It was Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge not Ho Chi Minh.

I was about to post to Happy1, but you beat me to it.

But I understand Happy 1's point, that "the killing fields" were created by another Communist dictator.

Anthony Bourdain had a "No Reservations" episode in Cambodia. Pol Pot had a special hatred of the educated, not just the real intellectuals of Cambodia, but anyone who so much as taught school was put to death.
To say the least, this has created a problem in Cambodia -- a type of "knowledge apocalypse."

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
...is it still wrong if the words he's saying are right?

I mean look at what Mao is saying there objectively for a second.
Now imagine if Lincoln said it, feel better?

Obviously it's wrong to put a Mao quote on a kids site i'm just saying that what is being thought isn't necessarily that bad.

What I think the "defenders of Mao's quote" are missing the point.

The point of quoting Mao is to inculcate the children with the idea that Mao and other Communist leaders are good & wise people who are to be respected & emulated.

The kids are being programmed and it's not subtle at all. How can people miss this?

I'm waiting for the quotes from Lenin, Stalin, and Van Jones.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

i see no ties between kids and maozedung, that's noncense

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by mamahuhu

I apologize - been thinking about too many different things - it is a good film, but hard to watch.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

I was born in 1963, my father was in the air force, I vividly remember watching on t.v. the fall of saigon, and the people who were desperately hanging on to the helicopters in an attempt to leave.

I remember the body counts on the nightly news from vietnam.

Children these days are being fed lies about communism and communist dictators in the public schools in the US, I have a real problem with this propaganda. As I do with the way our US gov't has been heading these last few decades.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I think teaching children that there's no good in an evil person, or that dictators never said anything that made any sense is more damaging to them than person than "exposing" them to something a dictator might have said.

What, are you worried your kids are going to try an emulate his behaviour by seizing power of a country, starting a communist revolution and kill 70 million people because of an inspirational quote they once read on a website?

*Meanwhile in America*

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Some of the best quotes were delivered by died in the wool arseholes. Don't see the big deal myself.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   
So I guess all those guys wearing Che shirts have egg on their face.
Looks like a lot of people like murderous jerks.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Whether we quote them or not, Hitler and Mao both have shaped the way we act in the modern world. "Power flows from the barrel of a gun" (Mao) might as well be the motto of the United States, the NRA, and gangbangers everywhere.

The Nazis, and the Germans generally, designed the modern world. We follow their example in innumerable ways.

Americans live in the world's most hypocritical tyranny.

Americans will march backward right into the concentration camps all the while congratulating themselves on their foresight.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by solidguy
Should we go out looking for Hitler quotes?
If you look hard I'm sure he said something nice.

According to Brainyquote...

As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated,
but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice.

Outrage I tell you! Outrage.
Children must be protected from such ideas!

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
There are plenty of great quotes by great men and women who have not been mass murderers. By all means, teach about Mao, but I think it is unnecessary to use his words as "inspirational" examples.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

This was better quotation? The New World Order? That guy was an inocent saint, that, the quoted one?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join