It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Im Trying to Leave The State (preferably the country) Cali? UK?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
So I recently recognized how unhappy I am and concluded the best remedy would be a lifestyle change. I have very little money and a few assets. I'm prepared to take the next few months to do whatever it takes to make it happen.

My best trained skills are in the field of audio engineering and apparently California and the UK are some of the best places to go for that. Problem is i dont know any body in those areas especially in the field. If i just had a few connections for work , this bridge that im trying to cross would be immensely easier. Maybe some of you guys can give me some leads?

I'm very experienced but my resume looks pretty weak at the moment but if given the opportunity to display my skills I can impress.

Also I go to full sail university for recording arts and its very expensive and the credits don't transfer. I feel like the school has helped me greatly but at the same time i feel it could be holding me back while placing me in more debt. I have another yr and some months before i finish my program but honestly i don't think i can take being in Fl any longer - sometimes you have to get up and go. I dont expect it to be easy , in fact i expect it to be extremely diffiucult but im fine with that.

I just want to be able to live in peace and support myself. I work at a studio now but the future does not looking promising here to say the least.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I would NOT recommend the UK aha.

ETA: To elaborate:

*Bureaucracy
*Energy Poverty
*Police State
*Low Wages
*High taxes
*High Immigration
*Housing Shortage
*Job shortage
*War Mongers
*Full of peado's
*Can't handle the snow
*Always cloudy
*Includes Wales
*Home of Pierce Morgon

edit on 24-3-2013 by ObservingYou because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ObservingYou
I would NOT recommend the UK aha.

meh it's not THAT bad here
The weather can be a bit bleak at times but I still think the UK is one of the better places in the world to live. With regards to audio jobs I can understand why the UK is one of the highest, there is atleast one recording studio in most towns around where I am based down in the countryside

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Lmao pierce morgan ... nah im not worried about that dude. That sounds kinda like michigan actually. Honestly Cali would be easier simply bc it doesnt cost an arm to get there and i dont have a passport. But I still prefer europe bc my great grandfather is from there

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Yea CT? where is that exactly?

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Cali may not cost an arm and a leg to get to but it cost that much to live there.

Frankly the weather is about the only thing cali has going for it, everything will be more expensive there, food, housing and gas.

Mediocre public trans compared to other states and metro areas.

(lived in So Ca my whole life)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Hmmm now im really torn ...but honestly, it comes down to where the job offers are coming from

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I've lived in FL, couldn't take it after 2 years and moved back to NY. I'd say for any successful career in the music industry your best bets are Cali, NY, and possibly down South where you're at right now. In New York everything you need is a block or two away, commute is very easy out here, and artists are on the come up regularly, so you'll never run out of people to work with.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePhilosopherKingSirPlus

Have you tried Nashville? The nightlife isn't as cool as cali but the cost of living is rather low. Unless you already stuck there and then I apologize.

I also warn you it is the south and it can be rather..... oppressive at times (in a cultural sense). I live a hour north of the city. It's a little too big for me, but it's rather nice. Public transport could be better, but that is an American problem more than anything else.
edit on 24-3-2013 by antonia because: added a thought

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I'd choose California before UK, nice weather is a big plus, but go to the north maybe. Canada? Out of the box, like South America?

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Canada or Iceland do not go anywhere else it's becoming complete police state all around. But over all I would advice Canada it's nice there.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePhilosopherKingSirPlus

Nashville is where they record the music these days....go there if you arent already there....CA is expensive to move into from out of state....if you are lucky, you might find rent at around $1300 or so....

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by rangersdad

Nashville is so much cheaper believe me. You can live in one of the smaller towns nearby and pay very little in rent. I own a house in the city i live in and pay 497 a month, taxes and insurance with that. I paid 450 for rent before that for a cheap two bedroom apartment (i did live with the illegal aliens and junkies though). Also, have you looked into recording classical music? There's a lot of work to be found there too.

So yes, I concur with the man I replied to.
edit on 24-3-2013 by antonia because: opps

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

If I was in the US, think I'd be there in a heartbeat. To me affordable and beautiful, overlooked perhaps, is important. I would not put the details of ambitions ahead of that either. I choose the place first.
edit on 24-3-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Come to Australia.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Mate I know its a cliche but the grass is always greener when your feeling low. I have been in the music business all my life and its hard going ANYWHERE. I lived in LA and London and Sanfrancisco and belive me unless you have something BIG going on it dosnot matter where you are. Dont come to the UK, its a # hole.
How old are you if you dont mind me asking?My happiest friends live in Australia.
Peace.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Once you get past our deranged Prime Minister Canada is pretty great. Especially BC. Come to BC and your living in paradise my friend... Once you get past Christy Clark... Maybe just come after the provincial election.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I am 25. Thank you for all of your words. I love classical and i can do almost anything related to sound. Your right this industry is extremely difficult but I cant see my self doing anything else. I mean honestly home is where the heart is and ive moved around so much all of these places are sh** holes unless you can afford to not live in or around one. So im not particularly attached to one #e hole over another. Ive heard nice things about australli on more than one occasion but honestly location is not so important as some decent pay.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
NoCal is far different than SoCal as far as housing prices go. I ma not talking Bay Area here, that is Central Cali and really should separate into it's own state as far as I am concerned since the rest of the state is nothing like it.
Yes, gas is more expensive here than the rest of the country but housing in NorCal is cheaper than the rest of the state. Where I am at, it is a renters paradise because all the homes that were foreclosed on were bought up and turned into rentals.

top topics

join