It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video About The NRA Politicians Don't Want You To See

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I was a member of the NRA and didn't know this. If you share the gov's sentiment on gun control, you really dont want to watch this video. It may perplex you. This needs to go viral. Best I watched in years. Didnt see it posted and that new thread search turned up nothing,

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Reply to post by GoldenRuled

Can't see the video. So what's there?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

Hi,
Here's another source for the video.

interesting page

edit on (3/17/1313 by loveguy because: I'm not afrayed of string theory, am I?

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Good video thanks for sharing! Funny thing is the liberal media tries to spin the NRA as being fringe group of rednecks when the truth is the NRA is made up of millions of Americans of all races and religion.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The National Rifle Association was created to increase the marksmanship of Union Soldiers.

"... formed the National Rifle Association in 1871. The primary goal of the association would be to 'promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis,'..." www.nrahq.org...

Where did these folks get there info? Or is this some good ole propaganda to pick up black supporters?

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRealTruth84

I agree. A *TRUE*, honest and historically ACCURATE accounting of who did what by political side on slavery, civil rights and basic human decency would show something very different than politicians contiually force feed the public until they quietly accept it as simply fact.

Personally, I don't think the political affiliations of people for or against the evils of the past really should matter. I don't look at Dems today and even try to associate the person I see with what people of similar beliefs may or may not have done 60 to 100 or 150 years ago.

I'm not on the side ALWAYS..ALWAYS..trying to portray their cause as having the richeous support of history, Uncle Sam and the same Mom who made America's apple pie just to good measure.

...since others LIVE in the world of "but but but..bush did it too!! or "...but but but... Your side did this or that 50 years ago! waaa!", I guess it is actually necessary to repeat basic black letter lines of history to those who would refuse the idea history even happened.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by doclec
The National Rifle Association was created to increase the marksmanship of Union Soldiers.

"... formed the National Rifle Association in 1871. The primary goal of the association would be to 'promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis,'..." www.nrahq.org...

Where did these folks get there info? Or is this some good ole propaganda to pick up black supporters?

I've gotta ask... did you even hit play on the OP video before asking where people got this idea?

Those aren't average people, chosen at random for idiotic "man on street" surveys of opinions. They may be wrong.. Your one link doesn't prove anything, either way. Is the NRA including EVERYTHING that was related to it's formation, organization and charter when it first formed? (You'd need a small book, as a hint..).

If they're wrong tho....I can't blame anyone here for taking them at their word. After all, if you play the video, you'll see precisely who and where we got that idea ....at least in this thread.

(they're also NOT wrong as I've heard the groups history ..and I have NO love for the NRA either. Money grubbing scumbags in my opinion.)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by doclec

That is one of the reasons the NRA was founded...not the only. Watch the video again these men and woman are going against the grain and have political resonance. You need to step outside the box for a minute and realize the gun control crowd can not provide statistics or, legitimate information to persuade the people. So what do they do? They provide you with talking points based on lies and emotional response, nothing more.

re: Wrabbit - While I agree the NRA may send out emails that ask for money on a to often basis, I do send them $20 bucks here and there just to continue the fight. I am a lifetime member so there is no need for me to reach into my pocket again, I paid a one time fee and that is all that was required. I choose to put money toward the NRA/ILA (Grassroots movement) because I believe in what they are doing and know exactly where the money is going. Other than that I don't purchase their insurance or anything like that, those emails are just another email like I get from every other company I have purchased products and service from...junk email.
edit on 3/17/2013 by TheRealTruth84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Indeed... Some of my family are dedicated supporters and members of the NRA. I was too for a few years. However, you may not have gotten this as a confirmed life timer, but as a casual member? I had circulars in my mailbox EVERY MONTH from them ..and without fail, it would be solicitation for one thing or another ..one cause or another ...or just to give for the sake of giving. :shk:

I'd note something else...and I'll leave the outlines so you can look it up if you choose. Check into the NRA's level of involvement, actual actions taken and cooperation with others in both the Heller Case and the major Chicago ban case. Learning the details of how those came down and what the NRA did or didn't do ....is what ended anything I'll ever have to do with them again..for any reason. Whatsoever.

Personally, I give to the GOA (Gun Owners of America) and the 2nd Amendment Foundation. As much as I can spare, whenever we have it to spare. Those folks are who I think lead the charge and take the risks these days...although, heck, we're all on the same side, so no need for more than difference of opinion, right?

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I am aware of the Heller case and their compromise or, lack there of in Chicago. They lost my dad for several years because of that and I wasn't a member at the time. I believe they have rebuilt some of their leadership and have corrected their path. What really got me to become a life time member is how they stepped in with support for those effected by Hurricane Katrina, not only on a charity level but with their own lawyers in a fight to get back the firearms stripped from gun owners in and around New Orleans in a time of crisis.

I know you are a staunch supporter of the 2nd amendment and your reasons to dislike the NRA are as good as any. When possible I have also supported GOA and think Larry Pratt is a great man and with unwavering conviction. I couldn't have laughed harder when I watched his interviews with Piers Morgan and just schooled the Brit on every level imaginable.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Yeah I watched the video. The video title itself says: "The NRA was created to protect free slaves". I admit that protection of freed men could've been a by-product of it's creation. But it is mis-leading to say that it was created for that purpose. Besides, there were no sources stated by any of the speakers. They were all just praising the NRA. That's why I asked if it's propaganda. I would think that if this were truly part of the NRA's creation, it would be mentioned at least somewhere on their (the NRA's) history page; footnotes even.

Average people or not it's the politicians and leaders who pull no punches when it comes to seeking votes and support for their causes.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Again the video title says that the creation of the NRA was to protect freed slaves. I think that it was a fortunate by product at best.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by doclec

I understand what you're doing here....but I can play that too. The people in the video have no credibility because they don't source their claims and you can't find..in a minute or two or whatever you spent looking, anything but the NRA's public relations page for their main story of how they came to be. Hence... it must be wrong or propaganda, that about cover it?

Okay. This could get fun.... Shall we start looking at the other side of this debate and the claims regularly made by the top leaders of this nation on guns, what they do, how they're used and why we don't need them? Hell, why start small? I'll start with Biden if you don't mind....He's got a dozen or more statements alone, across the last 18 months.

However, If I can't DESTROY the credible standing of people like him....and he deserves it....then people like the OP video also get taken at their word UNLESS PROVEN OTHERWISE....and you've proven only that the NRA has at least one other major presentation of it's organization's history.

Consider that though..as these people speaking are ALSO national leadership in their own areas. The standard is applied EQUALLY...which means the other side must back EVERY SINGLE THING THEY SAY...or the standard isn't a standard at all. It's a political weapon and tool. So... Are we to apply this equally? I'm game.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I'm not saying they have no credibility. My position is that there is no evidence that the NRA was created to protect anyone aside from a freed slave no less. I'm just not going to allow anyone to play to my emotions, which is what politicians and leaders do to garner support. Show me the facts.

Here is a fact: The founders of the NRA noticed that Union soldiers were particularly bad shots, opposed to some european armies, so they wanted to scientifically develop means that would raise soldiers accuracies.

I give no benefit of doubt to any current "national leaders" right now, because the majority of them are susceptible to bribery, dishonesty, and propagandizing things. And while I fall somewhere in the middle of the gun debate I think it would do well for all of us to remember to look at this objectively and not allow anyone to sway our opinions. Keep in mind, opinions can be bought and paid for.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

for some reason when i try to go to youtube to see the video it says not available any one else having this problem? or am i the only one? star and flag op i coudl view embedded video and it was an amazing video i just wanna be able to share it

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

Maybe try viewing this full version...

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by doclec

This is getting a little silly because we're off on pure opinions claiming things that can not only be verified one way or the other, fairly easily, but really need to be...given the meaning of the whole debate here.

First, courtesy of the NRA, here is a brief history of firearms and racism in the United States. Who did what to whom, by the laws and how it was done. The biggest push, always it seemed, was to insure ONE segment of the population did NOT have access to firearms. (The focus has changed...the effort never did)

Laws Designed to Disarm Slaves, Freedmen, and African-Americans

Now in reading a bit for this post, I was shocked and horrified by the pure ignorance out there. I had NO idea. I read things saying the former members of the KKK formed the NRA, or that KKK and NRA people worked and cooperated together. Even that the NRA was an extension of the KKK at one time.

All I can say to finding some of that is....what the hell happened to education in this nation? History isn't history anymore..it's whatever someone's opinion says it is and the reality is just a secondary thing with no importance. I'd never seen Michael Moore's propaganda piece about Columbine but now I wish I had...after reading that he claimed some of the same things. His major WAS NOT history....that's painfully obvious.

I found several VERY biased sources for this next link..but I chose one far more geared toward the pure history of it. This was a look at Post-War America for blacks following Lincoln's freeing them.....and why the NRA was needed soon after, among other reasons.

White Mob in Opelousas, Louisiana killed nearly 300 Blacks Over The Right To Vote.

^^ That's a lengthy piece with a great deal of information in it. The whites doing the killing happened to be of the Democrat nature. Then isn't now and dems of today aren't dems of old...but we ARE talking about history and the accurate depiction of it. That's a big piece of context right there. The propaganda is obscene at times.

The NRA was founded shortly after the American Civil War by Union Army officers who were appalled by the lack of shooting skills among the Union soldiers during the war and determined to correct this problem by encouraging the shooting sports and marksmanship among the general population, including former slaves in the former slave states. This made the NRA very unpopular in the former slaves states and the NRA was considered an enemy by the Ku Klux Klan.

Union Army Col. William C. Church and Gen. George Wingate are the officially listed founders of the NRA. They were granted a charter from the state of New York on November 17, 1871. The first NRA president was Ambrose E. Burnside, a commander of the Army of the Potomac. Former US President Ulysses S. Grant, who had enacted the 1871 law declaring the Ku Klux Klan to be an illegal terrorist organisation, was elected president of the National Rifle Association in 1883. Nine of the NRA's first ten presidents had fought against slavery during the Civil War. Including: Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock, Gen. Phillip Sheridan. During Reconstruction, Gen. Sheridan removed hundreds of local officials from office in Louisiana and Texas for violating the rights of former slaves and for failing to enforce laws for their protection.
Source
(Emphasis mine)

FAR FAR from being the "friend" of the KKK...the man who outlawed them became the President of the NRA in 1883. Hardly a way to get love from the racists of the time.....much less the open invitation and encouragement of former slaves and blacks within the former slave states to pick up a weapon and join the association.

I hope that helps fill in some detail and context... it seemed a bit lacking.

edit on 17-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
The Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, released a series of videos applicable to this topic...

"No Guns for Negroes" (part 1)

"No Guns for Negroes" (part 2)

edit on 17-3-2013 by SkyLiner because: added part 2

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SkyLiner

the part about the 1968 gun act was something i was not aware of and quite frankly blew my mind that they would copy the nazi gun control laws word for word(translated into english) thats insane.....i had never heard of this before and i take a great interest in the second amendment so thank you for teaching me something today

these people in the videos speak honestly and with facts and information not yelling retorich this is one of the best videos ive seen on the matter in many months....thank you again for sharing this
edit on 17-3-2013 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I'll reiterate one more time, because this is how history gets lost. I think it's great that the first NRA presidents were against the KKK. I think it's great that a lot of them were ex-union soldiers, but this is how legends and fables start. The NRA was founded because union soldiers hit rate was one out of 1000 shot's fired and founders wanted to learn new procedures for more accurate shooting. Not for civil rights...not for protecting anyone...and not for terrorizing anyone.

The title of the video states that the NRA was created to protect freed slaves which in my opinion was just a fortunate by-product of the organizations foundation. It could be that this is a way to try to bridge the gap between the black community to gain more support. I don't know because I'm not privy to what goes on behind closed doors. But again, in my opinion, I smell propaganda. And it's ok if they're trying to reach out, but let's not attribute more praise to them than they should get.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join