It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO Magazine is DEAD

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
If you subscribe to UFO Magazine, ever wonder what happened to your subscription? They haven't published a single issue in a year. Yet, the publishers and editor have made close to no comment as to whether the magazine is still afloat. Editor Nancy Birnes claimed that she was on hiatus and writing a book so the magazine could not be published. She made vague comments on her podcast "Future Theater" recently as to the magazine returning in some different form perhaps e-published, but did not commit to anything. And so many UFO magazine subscribers are left twisting in the wind. Will they get a refund? Is this any way to run a magazine? A wikipedia article about UFO magazine states the following:

UFO Magazine was an American magazine that was devoted to the subject of unidentified flying objects (UFOs), the extraterrestrial hypothesis (ETH), as well as paranormal and Fortean subjects in general. It was founded in 1986 by Vicki Ecker and Sherie Stark, and was most recently published by Bill Birnes and edited by his wife Nancy Hayfield Birnes. It was one of the few magazines in print primarily devoted to the UFO phenomena.

With the term "UFO" trademarked in 1998, UFO Magazine was initially published quarterly, then monthly, then bi-monthly, then erratically during the last several years of its publication, with only one issue published during its final year. Volume 24, No. 5, #158 was the final edition, which featured Lieutenant Colonel Kevin D. Randle on the cover and was published in March 2012. UFO Magazine was published in the United States and had covered every major breaking UFO story from the disclosure that a Soviet Spacecraft had encountered a UFO, to the Apollo Astronauts' accounts of an alien presence on the moon. It featured columnists such as Stanton Friedman, Nick Redfern, Larry Bryant, George Noory, and Colin Bennett and included writers such as Ann Druffel, Nigel Watson, and Jaime Maussan.

UFO Magazine broke the story of Lieutenant Colonel Philip J. Corso's revelations about his involvement in the research of extraterrestrial technology recovered from the 1947 Roswell UFO Incident. It also broke the story of Lieutenant Colonel Marion M. Magruder's handling of the Roswell crash debris and face-to-face meeting with the Roswell alien; as well as Colonel, Dr. Jesse Marcel, Jr., M.D.'s story of the night his father brought the Roswell debris back to his home before taking it to the Roswell Army Air Field.

The final edition of UFO Magazine made no mention of it being such, nor was the final edition dedicated as the end of the magazine, nor was their a farewell message conveyed by the publisher or editor to the loyal readership, as would be expected. To the contrary, the editor had for the previous two years conveyed the message that even though personal and professional issues were creating problems for publication, that publication would indeed continue, and even continued to accept paid subscriptions after publication had ceased. UFO Magazine was published from September 1988 to March 2012.

en.wikipedia.org...

The wiki article claims that the Birnes' still collected money for subscriptions even after the final issue. They might want to look out or they might find themselves in serious legal hot water. The UFO Magazine blog has been taken over by UFO Magazine columnist, Alfred Lehmberg and his undecipherable rantings which have nothing to do with UFOs.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Maybe they heard disclosure is near, so they closed up shop, since no one will dispute the existence of UFO's afterwards.
They would no longer have any reason to be,

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Wouldn't they still want to report on what people are saying they are seeing?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Folks still buy paper media?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61560
reply to post by butcherguy

Nope.
The MSM would be allowed to report on it after disclosure.

I'm not saying that disclosure is coming soon or that there is anything to disclose. Just throwing an idea out there for CT's.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
So it's for sale then?

wonder what it will sell for

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Doesn't say anything on their web page... May be they are moving to digital insted of the traditional paperback magazine.

www.ufomag.com...

-SAP-

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingTeacup
The UFO Magazine blog has been taken over by UFO Magazine columnist, Alfred Lehmberg and his undecipherable rantings which have nothing to do with UFOs.

Weirdly bizarre...
ufomagazine.squarespace.com...

Still, what is to become of Magazines and promises made in good faith? Forgetting other, more artless, betrayals of long-standing contracts which may precede those made as regards Magazines and their good faith promises, betrayals which water fire and stifle ambition... there is a cost of producing a pulp magazine in the corporeal existential so dire it could even prohibit production of same... ...the darkness as regards these matters is complete though... something might yet be found? That would be my contention.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Maybe they heard disclosure is near, so they closed up shop, since no one will dispute the existence of UFO's afterwards. They would no longer have any reason to be.

The U.S. government disclosed two years ago that they had no evidence of alien life or civilizations. What more does anyone want?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61560

Why? It's always the same old crap that eventually leads to exactly nowhere with no information of any value. Might as well just print descriptions of people's dreams, because it's worth pretty much the same. Namely, nothing.

UFO Magazine is dead because the UFO field is dead with nothing being determined in over 70 years of reasonably enthusiastic study.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Guess if the Government says it it must be true then

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
It's all because book stores are shutting down.
That's all.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Even venues like ATS are part of the reasons that magazines like this are becoming obsolete. The amount of UFO content on here is far beyond what they can offer today and is basically free, if you do not count the money it costs for your internet connection and the equipment to utilize it.

The remaining newspapers and high end magazines will all eventually succumb to the net , and they know we will not pay for the content, and their only way to make money will be to sell it to advertising.

Once the technology discovers how to de-materialize solid objects and re-assemble them elsewhere...... there will be no more physical stores either.....
edit on 14-3-2013 by charlyv because: content

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
has anyone bothered to contact them via their site? could be worth a try.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
Guess if the Government says it it must be true then

There are a lot of people who won't believe the government unless it tells them pretty much what they already believe. Which is why "disclosure" is a myth.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Komonazmuk

I like the feel of an actual book or magazine in my hand. I guess I am just oldschool that way.

So yes, lots of people still read "paper media"

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyingTeacup

Do you have a subscription to UFO or do you know any one that does ?
I do wonder happened to peoples $.
Very weird that they didn't even say "So long and thanks for all the fish"

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Sad if it closes. I use to like reading ufo magazines as kid. The internet made us all grow up.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
This is the new norm, you will hear more and more of this type of media evolution to cyber or die off. As stated, the sites such as ATS are the new ufo formats, and there will be a new stage of this evolution that will change the landscape even more....stay tuned!

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
You could always visit the site and see: www.ufomag.com...

Nancy had to work on a huge project, but she is now back and working on new stuff. Yes, she was remiss in keeping people notified, but the magazine is not dead.

I too love to hold an actual paper object in my hand. I hated school, but I don't mind being old school.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join