It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Animals You Could Eat But Probably Won't

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Somebody somewhere eats each one of them. The most edible one on the list is the squirrel. I used to hunt the larger variety of red squirrel for the table. But for a city dweller who sees them as little more than cute rats they would most likely not be on the menu any time soon.

SOURCE

Here is one of the least tasty looking offerings. Most of the rest are actually more culturally taboo than disgusting.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Humans and lions are a no go...dog would be my last resort before death..followed by cat..everything else would be fair game..hell most of that stuff is common eats around here anyway...

I draw the line at lions and DEFINITELY humans..no way...id starve first..or make sawdust cakes..

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Well, some on that list are not available in my area, so I won't be eating them.
But I have had squirrel, turtle and coon before.
I would rather eat rabbit than any of those again any time soon.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I've eaten turtle soup before, wasn't a fan.

How can anyone even think of eating mans best friend? I remember watching Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, he said the most succulent and tenderest meat he ever ate was DONKEY! ...So maybe horse meat isn't really that bad after all, since they're in the same family.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Yeah..i didn't find any of them too repulsive except humans..andrew zimmerman eats some really disgusting things..I couldn't bring myself to eat those gooey duck things or whatever they are called..

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I don't get it though.

We have plenty of food around us in these countries. Plenty. And we not only have plenty, we discard tons and tons of it every day. Perfectly good food, thrown out.

So lets all snack on some strange animal that we have no need to eat. Why? Because we can.

This is a part of humanity that sickens me, our brains and intelligence should be showing us differently, not making everything tasty just because we have that god given self appointed right.

If someone in a western country is hungry, it is not because we don't eat enough puppies. It's because some bastard with a golden toilet seat has made it impossible to give food to the poor. Created a law to make it illegal to feed homeless people. Made it an offence to give away sandwiches because of health regulations.

We don't need more food. We, of all people on the planet, do NOT need to eat everything that moves....

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Who are you to determine which animals are appropriate for consumption and which are too "strange"? A lot of the animals on that list (Alligator, Possum, Frog, etc...) have been eaten in rural areas by poor people who have classically had to make due with what they could catch.

Personally, I don't have a problem eating any animal, as long as it's dispatched in a civilized and honorable way. Sadly, I would hardly call most slaughterhouses by either of those terms, which makes me a damn bloody hypocrite, although I do try and limit my intake of meat.

Also, pound for pound, insects are extremely high in nutritional value, much higher than their bovine and avian counterparts. Honestly, I'd eat insects on a far more regular basis If they were more readily available in my area. As it is, I generally have to make a trip out to L.A. if I want some good insect grub(s).

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I think I've seen them all being eaten on 'Bizarre Foods' show
It is very interesting indeed to see the different ways of cooking them and the recipes from around the world.
LINK

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
As long as we can all agree that Rabbit is far too cute for human 'consumption'. (Oh the humanity in that term!) Rabbits are cute, cuddly, clever and helpful at the most unexpected moments. Leave them off the menu and everything else works, really!

Save the Rabbits! Eat a Spotted Owl!

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Cool post

I'd probably roast up a squirrel, I don't know if you've ever seen a show called 'Duck Dynasty' but they make frogs and squirells look delicious! I'd love to have a big land to hunt my own food on.. One day.. One day

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

I have a book with a recipie for cooking squirels, wood chucks and doves actualy

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Hmmmmm....Jellyfish.

They look delicious, especially the purple ones, remove them stingers add a little sugar and grape flavoring....walla grape jello.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

I've eaten squirrel, gator, snails, and frog. They're really tastey. I'd try possum.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skid Mark

I've eaten squirrel, gator, snails, and frog. They're really tastey. I'd try possum.

I have relatives who have eaten possum and they say it is tasty but extremely greasy. I have eaten squirrel, the large Arkansas red variety not the little city rats, and when breaded and fried chicken style they are very tasty.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

So lets all snack on some strange animal that we have no need to eat. Why?

I found this interesting. What is "strange" and what is "common".... well all depends on Perspective and culture.

To one group of people, a shrimp is a disgusting worm, for others, its a delicacy.

What if Squirrels are really common than Chickens in one part of the world, and what if we domesticated squirrels instead of chickens?

Its a rhetoric questions.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100

Yeah..i didn't find any of them too repulsive except humans..andrew zimmerman eats some really disgusting things..I couldn't bring myself to eat those gooey duck things or whatever they are called..

They just a big clam. Used to eat them all the time when i was a kid. A lot more filling than regular butter clams.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif

Originally posted by Neopan100

They just a big clam. Used to eat them all the time when i was a kid. A lot more filling than regular butter clams.

I am sure that they are quite tasty when properly prepared. However I, as a totally straight man, would have a hard time getting past the phallic look of the thing.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I live in the North of England...so already traumatised by being fed cowheel jelly and tripe by my gran when I was a kid...that's about my limit!
I hate the idea of Black Pudding...but it is the food of God's!...who would guess pig's blood could taste sooooo good!

At least I didn't grow up in the South East of England so I can feel lucky I wasn't exposed to the traditional dish of jellied eel's! *shudders*

As for the pigeon I have eaten that....it is a bird after all so I don't see how it is all that outrageous??

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
As long as we can all agree that Rabbit is far too cute for human 'consumption'. (Oh the humanity in that term!) Rabbits are cute, cuddly, clever and helpful at the most unexpected moments. Leave them off the menu and everything else works, really!

Save the Rabbits! Eat a Spotted Owl!

I agree! My gran used to take me to the butchers with her while she bought a rabbit for rabbit pie...they would be hung upside down in the window with their fur still intact.....all I could ever think about was Watership Down! Not a good thought as you are eating it either!

new topics

top topics

join