It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Ison caught on film by Deep Impact craft

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Hi all

I have to say that I am incredibly excited for Comet Ison's coming toward the end of this year..! Ison has now been caught on film, and its on a mission..

Comet Ison was only discovered in September 2012 by Russian astronomers.

Its path will put it spectacularly close to the Sun in November and if it does not burn up entirely, could be the "comet of the century".

It already has a 64,000km-long tail of dust and gas that will become visible to the naked eye later in the year - a trail scientists will study closely.

"This appears to be this comet's first-ever journey into the inner Solar System and it is expected to pass much closer to the Sun than most comets," said Tony Farnham of the University of Maryland.

Go to link for a Time-lapse video of Comet Ison as seen from Deep Impact craft..

www.bbc.co.uk...

The comet will apparently be at its brightest on Christmas day this year. This is when it will makes its closest approach to the Sun, and pass within 1.1 millions millions miles of the surface..

Keep your eyes on the skies...!

Peace

fluffx
edit on 24-2-2013 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Well this will certainly be interesting! Brighter than the moon and brightest on christmas day? Think of the implied religious ramifications! People will be losing their collective feces. Get your Nikes on and prepare to board the mothership!

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
No, it makes its closest approach to the sun on November 28, quite awhile before Christmas. I think it makes its closest approach to earth on the 25th or 26th of December, hopefully passing by and giving us quite a show as it speeds on its way.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

A comet on Christmas day.

I see an end of the world thread slobber-knocker in our future.

Pretty cool though.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Looking forward to this one as long as its not a bad omen or something. Be good that it is there so long. We should get a chance to see it for sure. Not like the elusive DA14.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Just watched the video. That sucker is HUGE. This will be exciting. I just hope the only thing it gives us is a show.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

A comet on Christmas day.

I see an end of the world thread slobber-knocker in our future.

Pretty cool though.

you're right...and there are people already setting up to make money on this...books, seminars, end-of-world CD's...and the history and science channels are drumming up sponsors right now for all of the shows on this comet...in my opinion of course.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Yep. Maybe those Mayans where out about a year in there predictions...

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Ison.

I Son.

Son = Jesus

Christmas Day, huh?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
As i said before and will keep saying,

We are the chosen generation, plans that took thousands of years to prepare, and we get to see the final act.
Wonderful times we live in.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

A good friend of mine of more than fifteen years was recentely taken to a FEMA camp because of inside informatin he had on not only ISON but nibiru system.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Yes, thats when its closest to the Sun. I meant closest to us, sorry I wrote it wrong in the OP, should have made it clearer...! Apparently it makes its closest approach to us the day after Christmas.. So not Christmas day.

And while it will be moving away from the sun, ISON will now be approaching Earth, passing closest to us on the day after Christmas, vaulting over our planet at a distance of 39.6 million miles (63.7 million km).

www.space.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I think we have other things wo worry about long before ISON

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I hate injecting religon into scientific events but that is interesting

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

I'm truly hoping that this comet will light up the skies and give us on helluva show..! However, I have read reports that state we should not get our hopes up too much as there is a chance this comet may just fizzle out.. But if it does not fizzle out methinks we shall be in for a treat..!

GREAT EXPECTATIONS - BUT AN UNCERTAIN FATE

A primary reason for the excitement generated in astronomical circles is the closeness of the approach of Comet Ison to the Sun.

Everything seems to be in place for Comet Ison to be one of the brightest comets in recorded history, but many previous comets have been built up to high expectation only to disappoint when they finally make their approach.

Some are so fragile they break up before they ever reach their closest rendevous with the Sun. We will just have to wait and see how Comet Ison eventually turns out.

greensleeves-hubs.hubpages.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I might be talking silly as im a newbe but if it flys close to the sun in November might the sun not have a snack on it if it gets to close? We might end up looking at an empty sky in December
. Sorry if im talking through my socks i can't help it at times, so please forgive my newbe thickness lol

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dallasdog

I'm not worried about Ison. I'm excited..! This is meant to be the year of the comets, and if the theory about the Mayan calendar is correct then we should be in for some very interesting times throughout this year. Especially toward the end of the year..

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Sorry man. Its actually Boxing day that its meant to be the closest to us..

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ballymoney50

Lol, its ok dude..! You are not talking silly. Its a valid point. But thats what we are not sure about.. If this comet does make it there and back we will see a great show in the skies. But reports are saying not to get too excited as the comet could just break apart and fizzle out..

Some are so fragile they break up before they ever reach their closest rendevous with the Sun. We will just have to wait and see how Comet Ison eventually turns out.

greensleeves-hubs.hubpages.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Ah i get your drift i'll read more about it first.
That's miss dude thank you for the heads up anyway

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join