It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Typhoon pics

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Some of the latest pics to come on to the RAF site so I thought i'd shere them with you

In the vertical with a pair of Typhoons from No 29 (Reserve) Squadron.
Pic 1

View from below of the three-ship formation. (real nice shot)
Pic 2.

Breaking in the climb.
Pic 3.

More are are avalable at the above link.
Enjoy

[edit on 3/11/2004 by 300k]

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
many people knock it but it's a great plane

thanks for the pics

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I was looking at that gallery of pics just a few minutes before you posted it as a thread.

It's nice to see the Eurofighters are being flown by the RAF. We'll have to wait and see if they get the numbers of them they were expecting.

The cockpit looks cool.

external image

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
What are the Typhoons replacing???

And in what numbers??

[edit on 30-10-2004 by UK Wizard]

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The Eurofighter is a multi role aircraft that is replacing the Tornado F3 fighter and Jaguar.

Off the top of my head, I think the RAF are supposed to be getting 232 Eurofighters in total, including trainers, but I'm not 100%.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
those are some pretty cool pics, but they are decieving, they try and make it look as though the aircraft is going staight up.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
those are some pretty cool pics, but they are decieving, they try and make it look as though the aircraft is going staight up.

- oh come on; it's just the way the pic has been framed 'they' aren't kidding anyone.

With a thrust to weight ratio well in excess of 1 : 1 the Typhoon can climb vertically if it needs to very easily.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
here's some statistics:

Brakes off to 35,000ft / M1.5 < 2.5 minutes
Brakes off to lift off Supersonic

Basic Mass (Empty) 11,000kg (24,250lb)
Maximum (Take-off) 23,500kg (51,809lb)

Maximum Speed Mach 2.0
Operational Runway Length <700m (2,297ft)
G'' limits +9/-3 ''g''
Power Plants Two Eurojet EJ 200 reheated turbofans > of 90kN (20,000 lbs) max thrust each

That means even with one engine disabled it would still almost have the capability to climb vertically (that is with an empty load)

With maximum load it's going to struggle to climb vertically with both engines enabled

jra

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

I see nothing decieving at all. I admit the first photo is a bit weird. It should be rotated 90deg clockwise. But I don't think they are trying to fool anyone.

But anyways... It's a very nice looking jet. I've wondered if it would be a good replacement for Canada's aging C/F-18's... Though with the upgrades they are getting now they are supposed to last us till 2017 or so

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Cool plane.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
hey 300k go to www.photos.mod.uk to get some good pictures.
I'll add my piece.

heres a nice one

heres another

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I'd like to see a new plane with >= 2/1 thrust to weight. See it break the sound barrier going vertical. Think that would be neat.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
The Typhoon is a great engineering feet for Europe....it looks like a hot airplane. I wonder if they will have an airborne data link with US fighters/AWACS?

Its a sleek design - I would love to have one

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucretius
That means even with one engine disabled it would still almost have the capability to climb vertically (that is with an empty load)

With maximum load it's going to struggle to climb vertically with both engines enabled

- It makes an interesting comparison to see just how many planes are knocking about these days that are anywhere even near 1:1 thrust weight ratio with a full load.

(and don't forget the coming 3d thrust & engine upgrades!)

.....and yes, Typhoon has a very comprehensive data linkage capability where it is required/appropriate. She carries her own rather impressive computer suite.

[edit on 1-11-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I beleve the two seaters (T1s) shown in the pics above are the training type. also No 17(Reserve) Squadron, based at Warton is the Operational Evaluation Unit
T1 in 17 Squadron markings

And No 29 (Reserve) Squadron, also based Warton is the Operational Conversion Unit.

T1 in 29 Squadron markings

[edit on 1/11/2004 by 300k]

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by rvfried
The Typhoon is a great engineering feet for Europe....it looks like a hot airplane. I wonder if they will have an airborne data link with US fighters/AWACS?

Well not 100% sure but I believe it can pass info to and from British AWACS E-3s and use them as a passive radar for weapons so I see no reason why they should not be able to pass data to US AWACS aircraft. It may require some modding but I'm sure that the boffins at the RAF have either got it down to be sorted or it is equipped as standard for all RAF EF2000s

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
i dont like this aircraft ( even so it looks good )

designed over 15 years ago ( out dated design)
cost way more then it was estimated ( waste of our tax money )

we could have spent the money designing/ building better planes

just my opinion

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Wado ["thank you" in Cherokee].

My son will get great enjoyment out of these pictures.

: )

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
i dont like this aircraft ( even so it looks good )

designed over 15 years ago ( out dated design)
cost way more then it was estimated ( waste of our tax money )

we could have spent the money designing/ building better planes

just my opinion

out dated design ?
you do realise the vulcan beat two F15's in A2A combat and that is even older than the typhoon.
and the F22 is over 24 years old and that is a highly regarded plane.
waste of our money?
so the building of the supercruise engine was a waste of money?
we didnt have any other better planes to build.
just a few notes

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Eurofighter looks cool,but thats about the end of it.When the F22 comes out it will beat all Eurofighters and look 10 times cooler
As for projects,if F22 was 20+ years old,i bet USAF are working on hypersonic aircraft

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join