It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IOC boss, wrestling head to discuss sport's removal from Games (WTF?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
They are talking about removing wrestling from the 2020 Olympics. What in the hell are they thinking?? Greco-Roman wrestling... The foundation... You know, dating back to Roman times. The whole idea where the Olympics was bread from.

Am I the only person that things this is the stupidest decision ever made?

Facing a wave of criticism from around the world, IOC president Jacques Rogge will meet with the head of wrestling's governing body to discuss ways the sport can fight to save its place in the Olympics.

The IOC executive board dropped wrestling from the program of the 2020 Games on Tuesday, a decision which brought a sharp backlash from wrestling organizations and national Olympic bodies around the world — including Canada, the United States, Russia and Iran.

www.cbc.ca...

I did a search, hopefully hasn't been posted yet...

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
prolly becuase its boring and no one likes it or watches it and there are 50 other really good sports that could replace it...

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

Whilst I agree with the OP, If it has to go I would like to see it replaced by MMA

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I didn't even know they had wrestling in the Olympics.

Interesting indeed.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
They are talking about removing wrestling from the 2020 Olympics. What in the hell are they thinking??

Probably realise they do not make much money from it, and remember, that is what the Olympics are all about, the IOC making money to fund their lavish travel etc.

They should introduce farnarkling as an Olympic sport.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
it wont be very long before any sport that requires physical contact , any kind of projectile or sport that requires thought to be done away with. eventually they will do away with medals all together and give out blue ribbons that say " we are all winners".

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
prolly becuase its boring and no one likes it or watches it and there are 50 other really good sports that could replace it...

You obviously have no real knowledge of this sport.
Thousands not only like it but LOVE it - it gets in your blood the pure challenge of it.
Competitors train to the up most in physical strength, its an incredibly hard sport.
I am truly sad about your opinion.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBirdSaid

Oh well I guess thats why they want to delete it from the lineup then since so many people love it and all...

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I adore this sport. Its in my blood and genes. My dad wrestled for Iowa. Enough said for those in the know.
I managed my High School Wrestling team. The effort that goes into being able to compete in this sport knows no equal. Its a sport open to all sizes, to all incomes. No special equipment needed. It is a revered sport all over the world. It knows know boundaries. Its cross cultural. For those interesting in keeping this sport in the Olympics there is a FB page with updates and articles and for those thinking this sport is not popular this FB page had 60,000 likes from all over the world in ONE DAY. I believe this is some sort of political move by the IOC and it will not stand. This is not MMA, this is not WWE - this sport in its truest form is an art.
Grace, pressure and triumph in 6 minutes.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
As someone who wrestled in Jr. High:
This is just plain stupid.

As an ATS member:
I can only suspect that advertisement dollars, or lack there of, are the cause of this.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Oh well I guess thats why they want to delete it from the lineup then since so many people love it and all...

Educate yourself - and take a look at the articles and press this is getting. Seriously educate yourself.
Everyone from Native Americans to Iranians to Russians to Indians - participate in this sport.
It knows no boundaries. Just because you are not in the know does not mean you are right.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
For those interested in a good place to follow this decision and the fight against it check out the FB page
Keep Wresting in the Olympics
Relevant articles and petitions are flooding this page which is less then 48 hours old and over 60,000 likes.
Articles in: Time, Huffington Post, New York Times . . . and more . . .
edit on 13-2-2013 by LittleBirdSaid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Don't worry, one day the Facebook and Twitter olympics shall take over the world. And all this needles, stupid boring athletic stuff dating back thousands of years can finally be done away with!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Im truly saddened by this decision.
My country just won their first silver medal in our history and it was in wrestling.

Now the kids inspired by that will have nothing to look forward to in their sport.

Bad decision.

join