It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS Purchases 21.6 Million More Rounds of Ammunition

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

DHS Purchases 21.6 Million More Rounds of Ammunition

The Department of Homeland Security is set to purchase a further 21.6 million rounds of ammunition to add to the 1.6 billion bullets it has already obtained over the course of the last 10 months alone, figures which have stoked concerns that the federal agency is preparing for civil unrest

www.infowars.com...

This has been the topic on ATS before, but I have a question/theory to ask.

1.6 billion rounds have been purchased over a period of time is it really the people "scared" of gun control legislation trying to stock up?

Or is the real reason there is no ammunition on the shelves because of the largest ammunition purchase by the government in this countries history?

Without ammo guns are nothing but paperweights.

Yeah the source is infowars so believe it or not.
edit on 7-2-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
A hole in your theory may be

Without ammo guns are nothing but paperweights.

Until manufactures produce more though right?

But for a moment lets follow you reasoning here; The next step would be to either tighten the restrictions on the manufacturer of ammunition or prohibit it outright. Assuming this is part of some larger plot of gun control.

Which could be possible if the government wanted to further regulate the industry, however i presume that this kind of action would take a prolonged period of time trying to get policies passed through congress and that buying up all the ammunition now without the legal framework to prevent the production of more seems kind of fruitless to me so soon.

edit on 7-2-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

But for a moment lets follow you reasoning here; The next step would be to either tighten the restrictions on the manufacturer of ammunition or prohibit it outright.

Nope no hole there because there is legislation on ammunition in all those gun control laws sitting in congress,

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Here is the link to the actual bid page, so Infowars or not, it seems to be fact!

Fedbid

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Personally, I don't think it's to keep ammunition out of civilian hands. With that said, I have no clue where we're headed.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Ahh, that’s the exact thought that crossed my mind after i posted. I admitted to myself that I was unsure if any actual bill is before congress currently to do just what i have suggested.

I am taking a look now for more details.

So Neo does that mean you agree with my assessment?

edit on 7-2-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
reply to post by neo96

Ahh, that’s the exact thought that crossed my mind after i posted. I admitted to myself that I was unsure if any actual bill is before congress currently to do just what i have suggested.

I am taking a look now for more details.

So Neo does that mean to agree with my assessment?

I think they are covering all their bases a full frontal assault may or may not work the next step is going after ammo.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Text50 State Pro 2nd Amendment Protest, Feb 8th,

Gathers Steam Bob Powell, Contributor Activist Post The 50 state protest in support of the 2nd Amendment - co-sponsored by the Facebook group 2nd Right and Internet news program The Truth Is Viral - has been gathering steam for weeks, with over 22k likes on Facebook and tens of thousands of views of the show.

Gun owners around the nation will be gathering at their respective state capitols to make their voices heard on Friday February 8th from 10 a.m. until noon, when lawmakers are in their offices.

www.activistpost.com...

Should be an interesting show - wonder if it will make MSN?

edit on 7-2-2013 by quedup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The DHS must spend a lot on ammo so i get the feeling that they know which way ammo prices are going and are trying to price fix, might be worth checking their methods for ordering benign stuff like A4 paper to see if it follows a similar pattern of long term price fixing

Currently theres a supply problem with ammo due to everyone brought crates of guns and thus they brought enough ammo to go with them and since it was a relatively sudden peak followed by the holiday season the fat in the system has been taken away as going 24x7 to meet demand requires the ammo companies suppliers to increase their production

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Now see, this is the problem with infowars, and you are not at fault for the misleading title, you quoted it exactly as you should have.

Title of your thread and original article : "DHS Purchases 21.6 Million More Rounds of Ammunition"

first line of the article:

The Department of Homeland Security is set to purchase a further 21.6 million rounds of ammunition.....

See the difference? Move to the next paragraph:

A solicitation posted yesterday on the Fed Bid website details how the bullets are required for the DHS Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Artesia, New Mexico.

Ahh so within a few words we've gone from DHS Purchases, to DHS is set to purchase, and now we're at this, the government putting out a request for a bid. But, the misleading plays right into AJ's "the gubment is cumming to get yer guns" mess.

I was going to follow up and post the actual information from the bid, but i can't, it's now blocking views for "security reasons" but i'll keep trying.. It did show me the proposal for an instant before it said my session timed out, I don't have an account, so I can't even post a screenshot.

But to be clear, the government is looking for someone to supply them with more ammunition, they haven't purchased anything, they aren't even set to purchase anything, they are looking for someone to bid on the contract and supply the ammo. In relation to government purchasing, at least for the government I work for, we consider that contract to be "out to tender" meaning, we're looking for someone to fill it, doesn't mean we will, doesn't mean it will happen in a timely manner at all.

That said, it is interesting to see them ordering so much hollow point ammo for training centers. Ok gun owners, I'm a gun noob, to my knowledge hollow points are used because they penetrate into a target and fragment, correct? Causing massive internal injuries but limited collateral damage. The federal air marshals use hollow points, so I'm told, as there is less risk of collateral damage to the passengers and aircraft.

Would you train with hollow points?

Anyways, i also want to comment on the infowars article where it puts the amount of ammo and relates it to how much ammo was used in Iraq. Lets be realistic here, most of the "war" being waged is being waged with missile strikes, t his isn't ww2 where you are fighting house to house, the amount of ammo used by soldiers really has no relation to anything, unless you count the bombs, rockets, grenades, mortars, and everything else being flung at the enemy.

It's a good story to look into, that's for sure, but also a perfect example of how inforwars blatantly distorts the truth to get their agenda across.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

The fact that the bid exists doesn't change the fact that it's merely a bid, no supplier has been found yet, they have purchased nothing, and until a provider takes the contract, they are not set to purchase anything.

Infowars takes the truth "this bid exists" then adds their spin "government just bought a bazillion rounds of patriot killers"

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

In the contracting world we use FedBizOps for posting solicitations typically, but sure enough, the FBO posting links to that fedbid posting.

FedBizOpps

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Bill S. 150

Link to the current bill before congress.

Do a word search (CTRL + F) for the term "Manufacture" and you will see a whole long of things banned in relation to firearms.

Neo, you may be on to something here, though I am sure many of us already had the sense that something like this was already coming down the pipe.

Now all the ammunition purchases will deplete the remaining stocks.

However, I still presume a significant amount of bullets are in the homes of gun owners...

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Would you train with hollow points?

Read:

Just a few weeks ago, the federal government initiated a contract for acquiring 450 million rounds of .40 caliber ammunition. "The special hollow point effectively passes through a variety of barriers and holds its jacket in the toughest conditions," says a press release from the award winner, ammunition manufacturer ATK. (www.marketwatch.com...). This ammo is for the Department of Homeland Security as well as ICE. Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

Answer:

The really important answer is that no one buys hollow point bullets for target practice. They're too expensive. Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

The fact that the bid exists doesn't change the fact that it's merely a bid, no supplier has been found yet, they have purchased nothing, and until a provider takes the contract, they are not set to purchase anything.

Infowars takes the truth "this bid exists" then adds their spin "government just bought a bazillion rounds of patriot killers"

So why are they seeking bids if they have no intentions of purchasing?

Is your beef with Infowars or is it with folks like me and Neo, who try to point out what our wonderful government is up too?

So far you have done nothing more than try to discredit infowars for perhaps a poor choice of wording, and also trying to make a government bid, seem like "nothing to see here".........

Either way, how is Infowars not telling the truth, when they actually link to the bid?

BTW, do you go shopping for a TV, when you are not looking to buy one?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Easy workaround.

1. Learn to make your own ammo

2. Learn how to plate your ammo if you need it

3. Learn how to make your own gun powder

4. If 'they' take your guns - Learn how to make your own with 'banned' books like

and the ever popular .50 Caliber Rifle

5. Air Rifles for combat? (Not sure yet but doing some research on them)

In a scenario that there are no way to get supplies to make gun powder / bullets, you can always go with big bore air rifles. These rifles come in many different calibers from .22 all the way up to 50 caliber.

So you simply get some scrap lead like car wheel weighs, lead boots off abandoned houses etc and cast your bullets.

Because your rifle is an air rifle, all you would need is your bullet and bypass your creating a primer, bullet casings, gunpowder etc. ending with a product like so

and yes, these air rifles can do real damage

There are many ways to skin the tyrant cat and I suggest for those with open eyes to start reading, watching and learning new skills.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
The DHS must spend a lot on ammo so i get the feeling that they know which way ammo prices are going and are trying to price fix, might be worth checking their methods for ordering benign stuff like A4 paper to see if it follows a similar pattern of long term price fixing

Currently theres a supply problem with ammo due to everyone brought crates of guns and thus they brought enough ammo to go with them and since it was a relatively sudden peak followed by the holiday season the fat in the system has been taken away as going 24x7 to meet demand requires the ammo companies suppliers to increase their production

This.

Anyone worth their salt in purchasing knows to "lock in" prices on certain items. Paper is an excellent example. Every year without fail, the price of computer/copy paper goes up. Companies will somtimes buy a surplus of paper to save money over the long run.

I think looking at other purchases is an excellent idea before immediatley assuming the worst.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Feel free to dispute the source in the op, but what can not be disputed in there is no ammo on the shelves and in this economy?

I made my call-a government end run around the second in more ways than one.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Ammo on the shelves went because of the mass purchases of firearms.
Ammo in the warehouses shelves is gone because of the same thing.

Ammo into the warehouses is because the manufactures are filling the Govt orders first. When the Govt puts in more orders, that is less for the public.

No conspiracy, no nothing else.

Now, why are all of the ammunition orders being submitted by Govt agencies???
My most educated guess is either the Govt is planning for something, or they are purposely drying up the available market to the public.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Actually yes.
While in LE, we practiced like we played.

If going out with Hollow points, we shot them. The ballistics change from typical practice ammo to duty/carry ammo.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join