It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Anonymous really Anonymous?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
How would you know? Could it be possible that we are all being duped again? Is it possible the GOV is "running the train" on us… again?

I am still hopeful that sooner or later the truth will set us all free. I want to believe that there are entities out there fighting to help rebalance our world through brute force transparency. But what if it is all an illusion?

What if...

Can anyone truly prove that Anonymous is actually an independent group of hactivists dedicated to rebalancing the rights of the citizens of the world? How could anyone ascertain such proof?

Can anyone disprove that Anonymous is not a tool created by the CIA/FBI/DHS to fool the public that the GOV are under attack? To serve their own purposes?

What if every instance of Anonymous has been classic hegelian dialectic? Consider that for a second. Think of how easy would it would be for the TPTB to swiftly impose greater oversight, create additional laws and regulations, support their overreaching power to maintain their positioning as a governing body. Could Anonymous merely be another inside job?

If Anonymous is committed to changing our world for the better than why not just release all of the information now? Why all the barking and so little biting? If Wikileaks, Anonymous, the Disclosure Project, et al, actually have the truth in their hands, the proof to support the need for changes, then why would any of them take pause from releasing this information? Why would they not act to shatter the continued lies and corruption that continues to plague us today? Why not end the lies now? Why not end the corruption now? Why not end the oppression now? Why not give truth and change a chance to begin now?

I'm tired of hearing excuses that "it is all about timing", etc. The time is… no. The time for this WAS yesterday.

I am having a very hard time believing anyone these days.

Keep the "Hope". Please give me some "Change".

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by normal_human_being
I am still hopeful that sooner or later the truth will set us all free.

What truth? You are asking if something that is anonymous is actually a secret government operation.

You know very well that you'll always have a lie somewhere. No truth will ever satisfy you. It's always never going to be enough.

No matter how much transparency something will have, you'll assume it's not transparent enough, OR that it's conveniently too transparent, and ... the same thing.

why ask? no answer will be good enough.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I said this earlier today on that thread about them making their latest video.. I have been all for anon but recently I am starting to doubt them..

Like you said, all they do is talk and do low level hacks like defacing websites nothing big deal or that actually costs these companies any money no matter what they say.

They always claim to have this great info but yet to have release anything worth reading that I have seen.

Recently they made a video calling for citizens to arm and have civil ware, exactly what the GOV wants us to do so they can declare martial law.

If they are so good and can do so many things why not just take anyone and everyone down that they can, start the war by hitting them where it hurts keep them down, they come back, shut them down again.. Hack all GOV sites, hack all banks..

if they have such great info why make threats and make demands that they know will not be met. If they really cared or actually had the info that would help the cause why not release it.

It makes no sense either they don't have it or they are working against the people by using their actions to restrict the internet and make things worse giving the GOV exactly what they need..

Basically false flag of internet terrorism.. Their problem is anonymous is everyone ect there is no leader so anyone can say anything and claim they are anon and you would never be able to know for sure if they are or not.

So IDK I am on the fence they don't seem to be actually doing anything to help only making threats and information videos of information that people who watch their videos likely already know.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
After reading about what they planned around the Occupy protests just imagine them needing a way to infiltrate the internet on a mass level and there you have it.

The best part is that all of the resistance comes and signs up with them!

I bet they will then plan to entrap each and every single one of them in a way only they know they can to charge them with a crime.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Anonymous is an idea and nothing more. Applying the notion that people on the net are truly anonymous is a total fantasy. Even those hiding behind TOR and surfing from hijacked WiFi signals are still traceable for the most part. There are not many people around who truly know everything that must be done to surf the 'net totally without the risk of being tracked. To accomplish it actually takes away from most of the things that make people want to use the Internet anyway.

But, for the group that claims to be Anonymous? Nobody is Anonymous. Everyone is Anonymous.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

ANON IS NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT IS!!!

Dont take every thing for face value, ATS does not have all the information
The media would have you believe that Anon is elite group of hackers fighting for our freedom in a "extremist" way. Most of the group is not composed of hackers. ANY ONE can join Anonymous. Even if you dont know how to use a computer. Most of them use PROGRAMS witch can be downloaded that do things like spam web sites to reload a thousand times a second thus resulting in web page collapse.

Anon takes judgment into their own hands. For example, a new story could come out of a women abusing her children, Anon would post it on a internet forum just like this one and think of way to "punish" the women. They will even go as far as to find out where you live. BUT what if the news story they found was really a attack hit piece against the women and she really does take good care of her kids? Well then people that consider them selfs Anon could easily be manipulated to do the Govt dirty work.

Its kind of confusing because one person in Anon does not represent the actions of all of Anon. These video's can be made by any one, weather your apart of the internet forum group or not. Most people are afraid of the darknet.... wooo it sounds so spooky. They think its full of under aged nude kids and drug sells. When really it is estimated that %90 of whats on the internet is on the darknet.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Anonymous is an idea and nothing more. Applying the notion that people on the net are truly anonymous is a total fantasy. Even those hiding behind TOR and surfing from hijacked WiFi signals are still traceable for the most part. There are not many people around who truly know everything that must be done to surf the 'net totally without the risk of being tracked. To accomplish it actually takes away from most of the things that make people want to use the Internet anyway.

But, for the group that claims to be Anonymous? Nobody is Anonymous. Everyone is Anonymous.

That's ridicules of coarse you stay truly anonymous on the net.
People would not be hacking Govt sites if you couldn't.
You know you dont have to use WIFI signals you can change your IP and do a number of things.
I do not exactly how to do these things but I know its possible. Tons of guides all over the net.
edit on 26-1-2013 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Exactly what is ridiculous about what I stated?

If you truly believe that you are anonymous on the Internet, then I suggest that you do some research and learn the truth of it. Even if you use every so-called "anonymizing" tool available, your ISP still has a cement and solid record of your activities - one that is easy for the Government to get and use against you.

Also - even if you pirate a connection, there are any number of ways for your actual computer to be tracked that most people live pleasantly unaware of.

It takes a fair amount of knowledge and work to become truly anonymous online. And, as I stated, to accomplish this you have to strip it down to nearly a text only level.

That is the informed reality of it.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   

reply to post by Infi8nity

Exactly what is ridiculous about what I stated?

If you truly believe that you are anonymous on the Internet, then I suggest that you do some research and learn the truth of it. Even if you use every so-called "anonymizing" tool available, your ISP still has a cement and solid record of your activities - one that is easy for the Government to get and use against you.

Also - even if you pirate a connection, there are any number of ways for your actual computer to be tracked that most people live pleasantly unaware of.

It takes a fair amount of knowledge and work to become truly anonymous online. And, as I stated, to accomplish this you have to strip it down to nearly a text only level.

That is the informed reality of it.

Its not as hard as your making it out to be. You can fallow guide's and have a enthusiast knowledge back ground. Its not that hard to change your IP address now days. Its not that hard to learn how to stop your computer from recording your information. Its not hard to setup a unbreakable encryption. Its not hard to set up a firewall via virtual machine.
Your right about one thing it does take work but the internet is full of information their are so many dummy guides. This is 2013, I would not be surprised if some one released a privacy type program package for every day users.

If your going to use the darknet its safer to remain anon, their are some vindictive people out their.
edit on 27-1-2013 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Actually its very easy..

Backtrack linux
Change MAC (which changes the address of your wifi card)
TOR
Proxy
If really paranoid use an open wifi or crack one (get a good antenna and you can connect from blocks away even miles)

The only way you can be tracked doing this is someone would have to know that you are connected to a wifi and they can use a piece of hardware to actually track your signal.. This is very hard to do, very expensive equipment and very unlikely that someone would be able to do it unless you constantly used the same wifi network to do your work.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

All you said is valid, except I am not discussing someone. I am discussing the government in specific. And hiding from them takes work. Work that Backtrack, MAC spoofing, and proxies aren't going to hack.

TOR is highly fallible. It is only really good if you are part of a bridge. And then only as good as the weakest link in that bridge. And that is assuming that you aren't using your own ISP to begin with.

The downfall to open WiFi signals is that many of them act as honeypots.

Aside from that, I reiterate that there are things about every computer that act as fingerprints and knowing how to abolish or hide those is a very involved process.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   

reply to post by dc4lifeskater

Aside from that, I reiterate that there are things about every computer that act as fingerprints and knowing how to abolish or hide those is a very involved process.

Linux is very small and easy to use.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
well either its not that hard or the GOV sucks at their job because they surely had a really hard time finding allot people they are looking for that post things online and hack things.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Since anyone can upload an "official" Anonymous video, you need to apply a simple test to anything purporting to come from Anonymous.

Is the video/hack/doxing/whatever damaging the credibility of the establishment or furthering its aims? If it is indeed damaging the credibility of the establishment then it's most likely Anonymous. If it's furthering the establishment's aims (like that recent call to arms vid) then it's a false-flag which needs to be called out as such and then ignored.

Seems some people can't wrap their heads around the notion of a leaderless activist organisation. Go read "the Starfish and the Spider" for an idea of how highly-distributed, resilient human networks operate and the types of people they attract.

new topics

top topics

join