It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible Quoting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
It seems to me that bible quotes never really advance an argument. It is almost always choir-preaching at any rate.

I wonder what others think about bible and other religious text quoting in threads that are not specifically about those texts.

I mean, it you are talking about religion, and the therad is about what a particular text says, then maybe I can see it. Even so, the texts are all available and searchable online, so sticking in John 3:16 into a ATS post doesn't really do anything. It is almost a type of graffitti.

It also feels a lot like cut-and-paste posting wherein people drag the work of others into ATS and pass it off as some kind of analysis or work of their own.

I'd much rather read what YOU think of something (in a concise and thoughtful form) than to have you (anyone) simply throw M, M, L, and J at me like so many stones.

It seems to me that bible quoting should be reserved for very specific situations.

That said, I don't like piling rules on top of rules, so I qwouldn't agree that it should be oficially proscribed.

Rather, I just wonder whether anyone beside me finds it less than useful.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MarsSentinel

It seems to me that bible quotes never really advance an argument. It is almost always choir-preaching at any rate.

I wonder what others think about bible and other religious text quoting in threads that are not specifically about those texts.

I mean, it you are talking about religion, and the therad is about what a particular text says, then maybe I can see it. Even so, the texts are all available and searchable online, so sticking in John 3:16 into a ATS post doesn't really do anything. It is almost a type of graffitti.

It also feels a lot like cut-and-paste posting wherein people drag the work of others into ATS and pass it off as some kind of analysis or work of their own.

I'd much rather read what YOU think of something (in a concise and thoughtful form) than to have you (anyone) simply throw M, M, L, and J at me like so many stones.

It seems to me that bible quoting should be reserved for very specific situations.

That said, I don't like piling rules on top of rules, so I qwouldn't agree that it should be oficially proscribed.

Rather, I just wonder whether anyone beside me finds it less than useful.

I think it depends on the matter of discussion. if a bible quote is relevant to the discussion, then i see no problem for that quote to be included in the discussion.

Sometimes, the following is happening. Someone comes with a personal interpretetion of a bible quote and makes an argument. Now another person comes in and note that the quote is out of context and thus your argument is out of context. You are asking for proof. So, the other person gives the proper quote in it´s context.

So, yes. I think if it´s relevant to the discussion, then i see no problem with that.

Peace

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
you can ignore posts if you want.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I agree with the OP. Excess quoting is akin to a gaseous anomaly.

Cite the passage number and leave it at that. If someone wants to read it they've got the reference.

No one wants to wade through all of that in a post and, honestly, long Bible quotes nauseate me. If I want to be "preached at" I'll go to church.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MarsSentinel

Explanation: Flagged!

For me the defining important fact is the Forum the thread is in!

If it is in Creation and Origins , Conspiracy in Religion or Religion, Faith, And Theology Forums then its completely on topic even if the quote incorrectly or misguidedly.

After that it becomes far more ambiguous and one needs to take into consideration more the threads title and the original posters OP!

Personal Disclosure: I hope that helps!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
There is a time and place for everything:

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

(Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, NIV)”

so, in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with it.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Flagrant trolling. You think you were funny but you weren't. You're one of those people who shoves religion down other people's throats.

That kind of tyranny isn't funny.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Obsrvr

That kind of tyranny isn't funny.

what do you think tyranny is? Just wondering.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos

If it is in Creation and Origins , Conspiracy in Religion or Religion, Faith, And Theology Forums then its completely on topic even if the quote incorrectly or misguidedly.

You are right. It is on topic in that forum. But, if someone in the science forum copied and pasted a whole page of complex equations to prove a point, I wouldn't read that either.
edit on 1/24/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by RandyBragg

OK. done.

top topics

join