It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wild Weather in Michigan. (Tree Just fell on my house and car)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
Man that sounds like quite a wind gust. Now your expecting ice?? Wow, so glad your safe and your family is safe. Will keep you in my prayers. Do you know how much ice they are expecting?

It doesn't look like much but mixed with the wind it could easily knock out power wide spread. Thanks for the prayers. At least it was only 'stuff' that was damaged and nothing important.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
There are some tail winds still, I just heard one and am now going to go out and see.

Shouldn't be too bad.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Wow. it's just starting to hit Durham now (east of Toronto)
Rarely do you see lightning in mid winter, but
we're getting hail,rain,thunder & lightning too.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Ok back.

It is steady and has gusts here and there.

Lake effects are going to be nasty. If it was snowing drifts would be a problem.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

92,000 without power in SE MI. No damage in my area in the Shores, but all three kids and the cat freaked out and came in last night. House got hit by something hard at 4am, but I dont see any damage this morning at all.

wxyz.m0bl.net...

Peace

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
We lived in holland, mi for a few years and it always amazed me how nasty the storms could get. I don't think the non-Michiganders ever realize how fast the weather changes there for the worst.

Stay safe!

One of my friends up there just had two holes dug for putting easement windows into her basement. I guess it isn't a good time to have 2 holes in your house!

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Howdy all.Kalamazoo here.Was howling a couple hours ago but seems to have lightened up a couple hours ago.Sorry about your car OP.We received dangerous wind alerts late last night from national weather bureau.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Sorry for that car, usmc!!!
But at least your family is safe.

I slept through it, but my husband says the house was doing some creaking....and FTR we're closer to the eastern coast of the state in SE Michigan.

For those with Detroit Edison, here's a current outage map.
dteenergy.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Here is a few photos of the aftermath. We've got some serious cleanup to do. At least I'll have plenty of firewood. Just washed the car yesterday too. Also just put new rims and tires on it. Oh well it's just a car.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Yowzers......

RIP

Car..

That's one thick tree. So, sorry.

Guess I won't be parking my car near a tree anytime soon. Not after looking at that. Note to self.

edit on 20-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

We've been debating on taking that one down as it has been holloowed out by critters in spots. We were gonna wait and let the spring birds hatch their eggs and then cut it after they've gone but now we don't have a choice.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Aww.
now the baby birds won't have a home. Are they okay?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Well we didn't lose any trees but our powers has been out since 3am and its currently 17 degrees F. Sending wife and kids to hotel me and the dog chillin by the fire.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
reply to post by Manhater

We've been debating on taking that one down as it has been holloowed out by critters in spots. We were gonna wait and let the spring birds hatch their eggs and then cut it after they've gone but now we don't have a choice.

Sorry 'bout the car and house, but at least your ok. Better get hopping on chopping up that tree with the snow and ice that is on the way.

Don't worry about the birds MH, they'll find another tree.

I like your attitude to this USMC. Always find a bright side to things.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

That really sucks man. At least the family is ok.

Just drove up and down Jefferson in the shores and there is a couple of trees down on the side streets, mostly a lot of branches.

Good luck!

Peace

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
That was the path of most resistance for that tree as well. It picked it up and flipped toward our house when it ussually hangs in the opposite direction. That must have been some force to do what it did. That is the last way I would have expected it to fall. The center of it was hollowed and spongy so I am not surprised that it snapped, just how it did. I have not felt wind gusts like that since I lived in the Carolinas and experienced tropical storms and hurricanes. I haven't even looked at the weather statistics yet I would like to see what the air pressure was at the time of that gust.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Looking at a local weather station near me on wunderground.com, looks like the barometer bottomed near 29.5 around 1am-2am....now back around 30.12

updated to add article, although it doesn't add much info:
Winds gusting to 60 mph black out 180,000 Michigan power users, topple Plymouth ice sculptures
edit on Sun Jan 20 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Jan 20 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: try link agin

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Yeah we had over 50mph winds last night here in Kalamazoo. They calmed down to 40mph this morning while I was out hiking lol. My sister in law, on the lake Shore, is without power right now. Looks like we're going to finally get our snow, too.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Just had to run out to Metro to pick up my neighbor. Did not see anything out of the ordinary along 94, from 10 mile there and back.

Had a few strong gusts while driving but I think everything should be calm enough for the utility people to get the power back on for those that lost it.

Peace

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Yeah the wind map is down atm, but here is a link for future reference.

hint.fm...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join