It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horsemeat found in beef burgers on sale in UK and Ireland

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopie
I think i might become a vegetarian and only eat UniQuorn

Yeah I saw that on Twitter too

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I'm going to Iceland next month (country, not supermarket) I'm intending to try whale with shredded puffin on top; has anyone tried this before?

I have to admit, I'm a bit squemish about the whale. I figure if it was him and me in his territory; there's no hope I'd win the fight. So it kinda feels wrong...

We're also going whale watching and to see the puffin colony on the trip; I'll try the meal afterwards to avoid the guilt!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Tesco beef burgers................ Low in fat but high in shergar.........;-)

edit on 16-1-2013 by PurpleDog UK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

Yeah. Well done. (Well done, get it?) The jokes and references are obviously going to be legendary. Or.. just overdone, forgotten then cult. heh. Yeah.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ramcheck

Yeah. Well done. (Well done, get it?) The jokes and references are obviously going to be legendary. Or.. just overdone, forgotten then cult. heh. Yeah.

I laughed at that as well, good one

This will end up with some classics in Brit humour 'Meat is Redrum'

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I've tried horse eat and had no problem in doing so. It was very nice and I can't see how it's different to eating any other animal.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1
I've tried horse eat and had no problem in doing so. It was very nice and I can't see how it's different to eating any other animal.

It's no different, just the fact that is was sold as beef or whatever, that's the problem for the few that give a toss.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

It's no different, just the fact that is was sold as beef or whatever, that's the problem for the few that give a toss.

I'm sure sales of processed food containing mechanically recovered meat products from numerous sources in chains of 3rd party producers, wholesalers, distributors etc will continue at steady levels.
Same products just different brands. If we buy them we take the risk, as I do occasionally.
...sounds a h̶e̶a̶l̶t̶h̶i̶e̶r̶ less risky option to have horse meat product burgers though, considering they are not intensively farmed in similar ways to cows in Britain.
edit on 16-1-2013 by grainofsand because: strikethrough healthier

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand

I'm sure sales of processed food containing mechanically recovered meat products from numerous sources in chains of 3rd party producers, wholesalers, distributors etc will continue at steady levels.
Same products just different brands. If we buy them we take the risk, as I do occasionally.
...sounds a healthier option to have horse meat product burgers though, considering they are not intensively farmed in similar ways to cows in Britain.

Unless we start farming our own cows, horses and sheep then I guess we have no real argument. Apart from what is printed on the product label should be what it actually says, and if not then yeah, court..

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ramcheck

Interesting that Ireland's food safety agency checks for DNA of unlabelled species, yet the UK only looks for pathogens and 'known dangers'
Could even be a conspiracy theorist slant if we consider the different DNA/other contributions which could be added to processed food, but are never tested for.
Again, just throwing it out there for the benefit of discussion.
I don't know anything about the processed food supply chain, but I know if I wanted to affect millions of people using 'substances' I would choose processed food as a widely spread, but sparsely policed, method.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand
reply to post by Ramcheck

Interesting that Ireland's food safety agency checks for DNA of unlabelled species, yet the UK only looks for pathogens and 'known dangers'
Could even be a conspiracy theorist slant if we consider the different DNA/other contributions which could be added to processed food, but are never tested for.
Again, just throwing it out there for the benefit of discussion.
I don't know anything about the processed food supply chain, but I know if I wanted to affect millions of people using 'substances' I would choose processed food as a widely spread, but sparsely policed, method.

Absolutely, and I'd be locked on and targeting the under classes, those who shop at places like Iceland and Aldi (students, single parent families, the unemployed etc), who buy processed food rather than fresh butcher counter meat, as I know many middle to upper class people do, many friends and family members wouldn't spit of the meat I buy regularly. At the end of the day, unless we farm it ourselves, I guess we have no say in it, other than picking and choosing which clone to buy.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   

I've always taken it for granted that if I buy a cheap ready made "beef" burger that it's going to contain very little actual beef. If you actually look at the packets of many of these products, they quite often tell you the beef content and it's not unusual for it to be around 60 or 70 percent. What makes up the rest of it? Who know's, but only people who don't actually read their packaging think they are getting 100% the real thing.

However, I wholeheartedly agree that these things should be labeled correctly and in more detail.
edit on 17-1-2013 by RMFX1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Bet you that the hot dogs you eat at Churchill Downs are made from the meat of losing horses.

In all seriousness, I wish I could quit eating meat forever. I can't. But I can keep consumption to a minimum.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I have my fair share of questionable steaks from the British pub chain Wetherspoons.
Some come so tough and chewy you wonder if they were one of the last casualties of the Grand National.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
I don;t care what meat i eat, as long as its healthy and does not cause any issues.

I don't get people that call it disgusting...

I mean, if you were brought up saying.. chicken, beef, goat and pig are okay to eat, your world would be made around that.

Shrimp.. in reality looks like a giant maggot!. But i eat it because i been told to eat it since i was little.

Horse might be a common delicacy in other worlds...

Indians "Don't have a cow", while some look at pig as disgusting because they will eat whatever you throw at them, including human flesh.

Best meat i have tried are, Rabbit, Deer, Caribou and some bird my dad cooked.. i don't even know what that is.

I always wanted to try snake meat.

edit on 1/16/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

Try Swordfish, I guarantee you'll like it if done properly, a steak with one center bone. Deer is just beautiful, venison is second to none.

Ostrich is epic, like a cross between the best of the best beef and venison.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

please put this in the ATS Hall of Fame!!! ha!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Wish folks would stop nagging about Tesco burgers, I've always had neigh bother with em....
edit on 17/1/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
My Lidl Pony.

Oh well....this is pretty crazy but meat is meat I guess.
People should at least be told what's in their food.

It goes back to "cuddly" animals and animals we like as opposed to those we don't I guess.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
worst i ever had from a tescos burger was the trots, but if they carry on with mis labeling products, they wont be around furlong, they mustang out with the wrong sort freinds.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Horse meat found in Tesco burgers. Camel toe found in Primark leggings.

Despite the recent news, Tesco says that their beef burger sales remain stable.

I thought my tesco burger had been cooked on a george foreman grill turns out they were marks from the jockeys whip

I once found a tooth fragment in a Tesco burger.
And that's straight from the horse's mouth.

After the horse burger scandal Tesco have refused to name their mane supplier

If you think the horse burgers at Tescos are nice you should try the meat balls, they're the dogs bollocks

Tesco are launching a new supersized burger. It's to be called the "Grand National".

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join