It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horsemeat found in beef burgers on sale in UK and Ireland

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
if you are gunna eat red meat, an actual slab of steak is the only way to go.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
"Why is it illegal? Horses for some reason are classified as "Pets" in the UK, seems to be the only reason. "

Horses are not only pets but good company for some and horses have been around for centuries and in some places horses were very important to their history and such. So it's easy for many that value horses to see this as offending or even as inhumane.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by haven123
reply to post by TFCJay

humans
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Has the practice died out?

uk.news.yahoo.com...

Yes I'm being a drama queen, but serious lack of info in that story of what is supposed to be routine.

I can't say I would go with the OP on this one as far as eating everything though, too much a Jeremy Clarkson syndrome. (Clarkson tells and eats porky pies)
edit on 15-1-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

I agree but imagine that with current economic times the attraction of 'formed' mixed meat steak/burgers to uneducated families is the low cost.
Tragic false economy when you look at the same social groups and obesity rates...trans fats, added salt, etc - increased veg and smaller amounts of original (non factory formed) meats/fish certainly provide for a healthier lifestyle.
But the same people who may cry about unknown ingredients in their processed foods do not seem to investigate what is actually sanctioned by the food health authorities regarding the stuff they buy every week.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
I can't say I would go with the OP on this one as far as eating everything though, too much a Jeremy Clarkson syndrome. (Clarkson tells and eats porky pies)
edit on 15-1-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

I'm curious, what does that statement imply?
I've eaten all sorts, from previously mentioned to insects, limpets, seaweed, frogspawn and tadpoles - allsorts.
It may not be a consideration for many other perhaps more conditioned folk in the world but to me food is simply energy, and if it is cooked safely with no known threats then I will eat it.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand

there is multi processing going on in ready meals, and that the sources can be from anywhere.

Of course, third party ingredient supply is big business, it's a hidden scandal if you ask me, but the tragedy is the millions of blind and trusting consumers feeding this crap to their kids - 'there are regulations so it must be safe' etc

...no different really to the people who trust that the disenchanted kitchen assistant hasn't spat in one of the casserole or soup pots at their restaurant, just a different socio-economic viewpoint.

You're are being polite there, 'remember the video of a kitchen 'lady' blowing enormous snotballs into someones coffee, yeeeuk! another practice was that Chef would spit through his teeth, (if he could) to see of the pan fat was hot enough, like as if a simple fork with water dribbling off would not be just as good.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand

there is multi processing going on in ready meals, and that the sources can be from anywhere.

Of course, third party ingredient supply is big business, it's a hidden scandal if you ask me, but the tragedy is the millions of blind and trusting consumers feeding this crap to their kids - 'there are regulations so it must be safe' etc

...no different really to the people who trust that the disenchanted kitchen assistant hasn't spat in one of the casserole or soup pots at their restaurant, just a different socio-economic viewpoint.

You're are being polite there, 'remember the video of a kitchen 'lady' blowing enormous snotballs into someones coffee, yeeeuk! another practice was that Chef would spit through his teeth, (if he could) to see of the pan fat was hot enough, like as if a simple fork with water dribbling off would not be just as good.

True, I saw some horrible practices while covering my bills as a hotel worker when I was a teenager.
I guess that's why I don't have any faith in multinational corporations having any real control (or particular care) over what goes into pre-formed processed mixed meat concoctions offered at cut price rates to the masses.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

Meat is meat. I've traveled the world and have eaten all sorts of , um, things. Though to the best of my knowledge, I have never eaten Horse meat. It wasn't advertised as such anyways.

I plan on visiting Canada this summer and it will be on my list of things to do. I do love me some venison, bison and (wild) turkey. All good meat, and good for you as well. Big fan of fresh caught stream fish as well.

I understand that horseflesh is very tasty.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
I understand that horseflesh is very tasty.

So do I, the crime is therefore crappy mislabeled multiple source processed mixed meat which masquerades as food for the uneducated masses, not the particular species of animal which is actually eaten.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Since I gave up eating "meat" long ago I've seen any meat as a corpse, so it doesn't matter what its a corpse of. Surprises me that people would react to a specific animal, even human, being eaten and not to all animals. I have a family member who still eats chicken because she can't get a chicken to look at her or communicate with her. She stopped eating shrimp when she saw that video of the shrimp on the threadmill. Whatever it takes.

A factoid, since we have all the Vitamin C threads moving around. People may eat meat because their body knows it needs the vitamin c within the tissues of the animals, and seeks it out. The redder the better, another family member thinks (steak tar tar - spelling ? - and this recipe for gnawing on bone marrow are his favorites, strange to me). So finding a horse's hoof in your burger just goes with the territory.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
Surprises me that people would react to a specific animal, even human, being eaten and not to all animals.

Same here, I was vegan for 2 years, then veggie for a further 8 years before reaching a point where my particular circumstances convinced me that easily maintaining my physical daily work activities in a fit, healthy and personally sustainable way was made much easier through the direct intake of animal/fish protein.
The last 5 years of living as an omnivore have been the easiest to sustain a strong physical existence - no magic fruits have been able to compare no matter the claims I've read from passionate people who share the opinions I have since discarded.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
This story just brings home the fact that you just can't be sure of the food you're consuming unless you're growing/rearing it yourself. Quiet a while ago I had a summer job in a meat processing factory(I lasted a fortnight.) It's a big NI one that supplies to all of Ireland and Uk, parts of Europe too. It was awful. Thankfully was the frozen section so I was spared the grizzly bits; but I do remember a cat on the loose (which was treated as a laugh rather than a health hazzard), as well as dropped items on the floor being chucked back on the conveyer belt. Also, the level of hygiene from co-workers was enough to put me off mass produced meat for life.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
What is a horse if not just a pretty cow?

I dont really mind where meat comes from, meat is meat, weather someone loved it, it was some ones pet a dead animal is a dead animal - as long as it tastes good and isnt riddled with parasites and diseases. Who really cares. A starving human will eat just about anything, a starving human with some options will go for the tastiest first, i guess....

At this point horse meat is not only leaner than cow meat, but probably safer too, i dont think horses catch CJD, BSE or Bovine TB.

The only issue here is that when you buy a chicken, you expect a chicken, if you buy a "beef burger" you expect beef in it. If they labeled it as beef and horse burgers, i cant say id have a problem with it, i just wouldn't buy it - and 'they' know that and which is why they dont label it like that and thats pretty disgraceful.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Ok so I've eaten Iceland beef most recently, Tesco and Aldi too but that's going back a couple of months. All three chains have pulled products from the shelf. I have my own conclusion, and I've spoken to many people about this, and everyone I've spoken to and including myself, are not in the least bit bothered whether or not they have eaten horse meat or not. Sure, it shouldn't happen and you know, nobody likes to hear of anything f'd up regarding meat preparation but honestly. if horse meat was on sale here I would probably buy it. It's eaten freely in Italy.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I don;t care what meat i eat, as long as its healthy and does not cause any issues.

I don't get people that call it disgusting...

I mean, if you were brought up saying.. chicken, beef, goat and pig are okay to eat, your world would be made around that.

Shrimp.. in reality looks like a giant maggot!. But i eat it because i been told to eat it since i was little.

Horse might be a common delicacy in other worlds...

Indians "Don't have a cow", while some look at pig as disgusting because they will eat whatever you throw at them, including human flesh.

Best meat i have tried are, Rabbit, Deer, Caribou and some bird my dad cooked.. i don't even know what that is.

I always wanted to try snake meat.

edit on 1/16/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Hey... good meat is better then no meat!! "I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian."

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
At least we know that there is real meat in these burgers! Personally I'd rather rat than soya or bread or whatever else they bulk most cheap burgers with.

I had a McDonald's burger once. Never again.

link   
I think i might become a vegetarian and only eat UniQuorn

link   

Originally posted by luciddream
I don;t care what meat i eat, as long as its healthy and does not cause any issues.

I don't get people that call it disgusting...

I mean, if you were brought up saying.. chicken, beef, goat and pig are okay to eat, your world would be made around that.

Shrimp.. in reality looks like a giant maggot!. But i eat it because i been told to eat it since i was little.

Horse might be a common delicacy in other worlds...

Indians "Don't have a cow", while some look at pig as disgusting because they will eat whatever you throw at them, including human flesh.

Best meat i have tried are, Rabbit, Deer, Caribou and some bird my dad cooked.. i don't even know what that is.

I always wanted to try snake meat.

edit on 1/16/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

Try Swordfish, I guarantee you'll like it if done properly, a steak with one center bone. Deer is just beautiful, venison is second to none.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
We eat horse meat in America now. Have been for several years i imagine.

They eat horses, don’t they? Just in time for the holidays (and remarkably coincident with the end of the Fall Meet at Churchill Downs), President Obama last week quietly signed a law passed by congress that lifts the 5-year-old ban on federal funding for horse meat inspections; thereby allowing the sale and consumption of viande de cheval.

www.louisville.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join