It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help with a bet: Injections of anabolic steroids will NOT increase muscle if you do not exercis

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Your friend is correct.

The reason why "common sense" would tell you that one must work out to build muscle, is because hormonal fluctuation is naturally a constant factor within individuals.

The reason you can sit on your ass and gain muscle from steroids is because it removes this constant. The variable becomes jacking yourself up on roids or not, rather than working out or not.

It is scientific fact that taking steroids will decrease fat, and increase LBM, while keeping EVERYTHING else the same. So if you used to sit on the couch and eat junk food all day, now taking roids and sitting on the couch all day and eating the same junk food will cause a change in body composition which favors LBM over fat.

That is simple fact.

Now, what is also true is that if you take roids, and change towards a better diet for with calorie surplus, and/or workout hard, you will gain even more than if you didn't change your lifestyle.
edit on 1-1-2013 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Well after reading 7 lbs of mass doing nothing...and not gaining fat....I'm ready to hit the gym. The new found way.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I hope you mean you're staying natural.

It's always best to sculpt your body naturally because the risk involved with roids is simply not worth it.

Look through the insane muscle men who have been taking that junk over the last half century. Most of them don't make it passed 55-60. Then look to all the naturals who have kept to their training for their lift. Much longer life expectancy.

Stick to the basic compounds like squat, deadlift, and push press plus some work to balance the muscles out a bit...dips, chins, wide pullups, farmers walks, and you'll bulk up, lose fat, and increase resting T over time.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

This.

Roids kill you young, and if they don't, you end up with health problems later in life. Absolutely not worth it.

I started doing a pretty cool routine of 50 snatch/overhead press followed by 50 push ups followed by 50 pull ups. If you want to reshape your body and add muscle, stay away from little iso exercises. Most guys go in and do a few sets of curls and BP's, a little shoulder and back, then go home. Nope. Focus on full body exercises, you will shape up quickly.

Gotta eat pretty well. That is my big problem. Food is my downfall.
edit on 1-1-2013 by BSFC123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by BSFC123

50 pullups

You kipping over there??

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Ya, I would never actually do a cycle. I worked out regularly in my 20's and had opportunities but didn't. All of that just turns to water if you don't keep it up (not betting) anyway. Then you're committed like Carrot Top, which is freakishly eerie btw.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
You could be swole and then inject and not work out you will lose you muscle SUPER Fast since steroids speed up the break down and building of muscle.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Bigger, faster, stronger is an excellent movie to watch. It sets straight a lot of myths related to AAS use. When used under a doctors supervision they are extremely good for you but the problem is is that with AAS use there is a fine line between use and abuse. As far as AAS use causing cancer, that is a myth. Lyle Alzado's doctor even confirmed that his cancer was not AAS use related.

Also, Arnold, Coleman, Lou Ferrigno and Sylvester Stallone are alive and kicking and they're all "juicers" but the difference with these men is that they used wisely, for the most part and had routine check ups for liver enzymes, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.

Going all natural is always good but I see no issue with a little "help" every once in a while. After all, some of us genetically just can't gain descent mass even with the proper dieting and workout regimines.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by marbles87
You could be swole and then inject and not work out you will lose you muscle SUPER Fast since steroids speed up the break down and building of muscle.

Actually, AAS are extremely anti-catabolic so there pretty much is no muscle break down. It's almost impossible to over train when on cycle. The only break down, so to speak, is muscle tearing and hypertrophy which is needed to build more "dry" size through the repairing of the tissue.

Most of the loss in size when coming off cycle is loss of water. And some of it is catabolism because you no longer have the hormones, or as much of the hormones, in your system to act as an anti-catabolic.
edit on 1-1-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by BSFC123

This.

Roids kill you young, and if they don't, you end up with health problems later in life. Absolutely not worth it.

I started doing a pretty cool routine of 50 snatch/overhead press followed by 50 push ups followed by 50 pull ups. If you want to reshape your body and add muscle, stay away from little iso exercises. Most guys go in and do a few sets of curls and BP's, a little shoulder and back, then go home. Nope. Focus on full body exercises, you will shape up quickly.

Gotta eat pretty well. That is my big problem. Food is my downfall.
edit on 1-1-2013 by BSFC123 because: (no reason given)

what the # why are you doing 50 snatches, even with an oly coach which i doubt you have thats stupid and dangerous as #. i hope youre not crossfit.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
As a former user in my younger/dumber days... anabolic steroids raise the testosterone levels in the body... if that testosterone is not used through muscle tear down and repair (working out) it will convert to estrogen and make you fat.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mee30

typical day to day activities may be exercise but they do little to make muscle grow....even lifting a very heavy object or pulling a stiff door will do near to nothing regarding your muscle mass.

muscle fibres require time under tension to finally break and grow back bigger, this only happens with the weakest fibres in the muscle group.

so generally typical daily activities are equivalent to sitting on the couch as far as muscle growth is concerned.

burning fat and making you look more muscly is what happens instead with being more pro active

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BSFC123

while those exercises may suit you, it is not the best way to reshape your body.
Bodyweight exercises are ok, but limited as far as staying fit and bodybuilding because not everyone can effectively do pull ups right away.....or push ups

i recommend free weights for the general population. where you can choose a weight you are comfortable with to start of with, snatches are advanced and pretty specific for certain athletes but not required for reshaping your body, especially for beginners.
edit on 1-1-2013 by ISeekTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Is it true that steroid use will shrink your luggage? Is your luggage not made of muscle? Or does it just shrink the marbles and increase the strength of the appendage?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by WormwoodSquirm
Is it true that steroid use will shrink your luggage? Is your luggage not made of muscle? Or does it just shrink the marbles and increase the strength of the appendage?

They do cause testicular atrophy but they return back to normal after cycling, if you don't cycle too long. As far as the "frank", AAS cause a lot of NO build up in the blood and NO is crucial for, you know, getting and maintaining a stiffy. So, take that comment and run with it.

If anybody has any questions on the subject, feel free to U2U me but for the record I don't condone AAS use unless your physician has put you on TRT, They are illegal for a reason, and a good reason at that.

Back on topic, OP, I respect you and your decision to pay up to your friend. That's noble of you but your friend sounds like he thinks he knows more then he actually does.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by BSFC123

50 pullups

You kipping over there??

Must be. Or just talking out of his keyboard.
Especially since he said to start out with that. If you are in need of exercise, I dont think anyone can start out at 50 pushups and 50 pullups. Maybe 10 pushups and 1 pullup. Many people cant even do 1 full pull up. So start at 1, not 50...
If he was able to start a routine like he said, he must have been in pretty good shape to begin with.
edit on 1-1-2013 by smashdem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo
So I Invited this guy who lives in my building who likes to claim he is in the know about so many things over for some beer the other night. I was slightly annoyed with his arrogance on so many topics but decided to hear him out. Then he went off saying you can inject anabolic steriods, sit on the couch eating potato chips and gain muscle mass.

**coughBullSh!tcough** I said. You will get fat. Noo noo dude, you don't know what you're talking about he said. I placed a bet of $25 and we shook hands. I told him I don't want to see a blog about it and seeing I've been on ATS for so long, I asked for a peer reviewed paper.

So then he sends me this....
American Journal of Physiology

I'm reading it, but to be honest, I can't discern between normal testosterone and anabolic steroids in this paper. I basically need a medical dictionary just to get through it.

My gut feeling about this guy is he's just a big mouth and this morning I get a text "got my 25 bucks?"
So before I get flamed for taking the bet without being knowledgeable on steroids, I had to go with my gut and common sense. Potato chips on the couch without working out will gain mass? C'mon that's too hard to just accept from a complete stranger.

I can seen in this study there are gains, but I need to weed out the half truths in here. Anyone care to take a stab with me?

ETA: this bet will also help me decide if this guy is "friend worthy"
edit on 1-1-2013 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

Testosterone make everything faster weather its testosterone cyanate or test enthinate it heals you quick increases strength makes you less tired burn fat quicker the list goes on (I am writting a little paper for ATS about testosterone, kinda like a myth buster type thing/ and what it does) But even though you might be one test it will make you look bigger due to water retention but as soon as you stop your cycle it will drop off.

The only way to make you muscles bigger is to rip them buy doing exersize, TBH sitting and not getting the right nutrition which is key for any bodybuilding would build any muscles fact since it is androgenic. You need to be on at least a good diet to see good results though(preferably an anabolic diet) to get better results. sitting an eating 'potato chips' all day is usless and has no protein or any nutrients to build muscles, it would be very hard.
edit on 2-1-2013 by definity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
it depends how much muscle you already have on you and diet.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDebunkMachine

I'm in the medical, weight loss business and it's 100% true. If you sat around eating chips, you will gain more fat mass than muscle, BUT if you eat semi right, you will gain more muscle mass.

BTW, the anabolic steroids will increase your temper and shrink your junk. There is no getting around this fact.
It's a give or take situation, one where you could benefit on one end, but lose on the either. A safer way around this is by using a non-anabolic steroid, or natural testosterone which won't shrink the unit, such as human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) in 100% pure prescription form only. If you or your friend do decide to use hCG, ask for a Certificate of Analysis (also known as a Pedigree) showing the purity.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Look, doing leg exercises (heavy exercises like squats and deadlifts) naturally increases your testosterone levels, the natural human growth hormone. You don’t and shouldn’t need any steroids. Just heavy leg weights, a good diet rich in protein and a steady, consistent, maintainable exercise regime. It’s pretty simple, really. Depending on your goals as to how many carbs you intake - if you want size then you eat a lot to fuel the growth. If you want leanness then you keep carbs relatively low but protein very high. Things like red meat, fish and nuts are fantastic. But yes, you can increase muscle mass by taking steroids and sitting on the couch. But there’s a natural, far more gratifying way to induce the same basic affect, but clearly not as quickly and as intensely.

As for exercises - free weight vs. body weight... Do both. I do both. But do not rely on machines - they force you into an unnatural path and give you a false sense with your actual strength. They build no balance or stabiliser muscles. I can leg press (machine) 200kg, for instance, but I can only squat (free) 130kg... Pretty big difference for the same basic movement! If you can’t do the proper wide grip pull ups then start with a close grip which seem to be easier but do tend to target biceps more. When I started to do pull ups in every session I noticed a marked growth in biceps, lats and back. As you get stronger and more advanced you can try more challenging things like doing pull ups on olympic rings (amazing). Everyone is different. Everyone has different goals and different needs so you sit down and work out what you want. Do you want to be massive and bulky? Do you want to be athletic and ripped? Do you want to be a power lifter? Power lifters tend to be relatively small because lifting heavy weights for 30 second periods or less doesn’t really stimulate muscle growth but it certainly does not diminish strength and power gained. Horses for courses... Fighters and boxers tend to use body weight exercises and the big ones like bench press and deadlifts. Iso exercises like bicep curls and the like are more for appearance, really. Not so much functionality.

A general guide to your strength is you should be squatting and deadlifting around 150% of your body weight - so if you weigh 80kg that’s 120kg. Bench press varies, but if you’re doing at least your own body weight you’re tracking okay. Ten wide grip pulls and 10 bench dips. If you can do that then you’re going alright. That’s just a general guide. Endurance athletes clearly won’t be about to get anywhere near those marks - but they don’t have to because it’s not their goal and need. Jason Strathman weighs around 77kg and his one rep max (1RM) for deadlift is 160kg... I weigh the same and mine is 130kg. So he’s going pretty damn well. Doing over 200% of his body weight.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join