It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Setting yourself up, The LA gun buyback.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Before I begin please read this article for KTLA;
KTLA: City of LA holding annual gun buyback

Notice this point:

The guns can be handed over completely anonymously, with no questions asked.

It was also reported on CNN** (edited see bottom of post) that you drive up drop off your gun, and they hand you a gift card. No paper work is done to show that a weapon transfer took place.

What! Let's say that a well meaning law abiding citizen drops off a gun at these drop off points. What happens to that gun? They (the city) say that the guns are taken and destroyed. Sometimes we see the mass of metal that "used to be the guns", but really? Whats to stop a group of workers from taking a weapon commiting a major crime with it?

Let's say a guy walks into a Denny's. Starts shooting up the place. Runs out after dropping to gun on the ground. Police find the weapon, and trace it back to you. Now you claim that you dropped off your weapon at the Gun Buyback, but since you have know paperwork to prove your case you're tossed into jail.

Now lets say that you had a issue with a member of the city about them being corrupt. Now your in jail for a crime that you didn't commit, but can't prove anything.

People that are law abiding like to do the right thing (it's what makes them law abiding), but when a simple idea like freely giving law enforcement doesn't provide paperwork to protect you, then should you do that? If a person wants to give up their firearms (I don't advocate doing that), then shouldn't dropping them off to a licensed gun dealer be the correct thing to do? Shouldn't a transfer of owership receipt be given to the person handing over their firearm?

It would be interesting to attach an RFID chip inside a gun, and track it to see where it ends up.

What do you think?

** Found the CNN link:

PAUL VERCAMMEN, CNN CORRESPONDENT: Good morning, Carol. Here in Los Angeles, in just about two hours, they are going to begin their annual gun buyback program. It usually happens the day after Mother's Day, but the mayor reacting to what happened in Newtown said that we needed to do something concrete right now.
Taken from CNN transcirpts:
CNN transcripts
edit on 26-12-2012 by Guyfriday because: Added link. You might want to read that too.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
These things are great.

The cops will destroy evidence for you.
They'll buy stolen guns from you.
They'll buy junk you screwed together from you: selling homemade "zip" guns to the cops for $300/each

It's great. Before I was worried about this gun with blood on it. Not anymore! Once upon a time I didnt know what to do with guns I stole from peoples homes. Not anymore! Now when I need fast cash I just tape a pipe to a board and sell it!

Yay buybacks!!!

Wait....... I didnt buy them from the cops inthe first place. Why is it a buyback?

Leave to emotionally driven ignorance to destroy evidence, encourage burglary and theft (where did I put that map with all the gun owners names and addresses?) and waste money buying up garbage and art and call the whole thing a glorious step to making our streets safer.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Guyfriday

I always assumed the guns being dropped off were guns already used in crimes. Seems like a good way to get rid of a stolen weapon that was used in a bad way. Assuming you are smart enough to not leave any finger prints.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I think you'd have to be a fool to give away your guns in the first place.
But to give them away with no record?
Forget it.
Of course that's not what they're really after, they want the unregistered guns that can't be traced anyway.
I see it as a monumental waste of money and possibly even a way of aiding the stolen gun market.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
They may not track who handed it them at the table (Someone is living in another world if they believe that..one word. CCTV
) However, you can bet your butt they are recorded by serial number and probably more than one if they are seen to have unmatched numbers easily visible. Two things about these buy back programs...and they're a joke.

#1. This is the single best time to clear your safe or closet of all the junk. broken weapons or just stuff you came across or came into having ..and wish you didn't. Now you can dump garbage and actually get something for it! (In California, you can't even privately sell junk weapons to your own family members without State controlled intervention to confirm a "proper" sale... so this is special to dump the junk)

#2 I wouldn't worry a bit about a turned in gun coming back up somewhere else and your original record being tagged. They don't JUST record every weapon for your sake or the public. Cops LOVE guns. Most cops own MANY MANY guns..and are always looking to add new ones...old ones...odd ones..'cool' ones. Whatever. So, they track these buy back programs as much to keep the COPS from 5 finger discounts on the few nice pieces to come in ...as anything else.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
What's to stop a city worker from running Brillo through the barrel and using a dremel to remove the assault weapons Id number and taking it home or selling it himself to some people in the ghetto for a limitless quick cash. People it's dangerous to jump on the knee jerk emotional illogical bandwagon that is too busy pointing fingers at guns and not paying attention to the real issue at hand with America. Our mental health system and by and large our general self serving culture that allows kids to do this in the first place

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1MrMarc

I always assumed the guns being dropped off were guns already used in crimes. Seems like a good way to get rid of a stolen weapon that was used in a bad way. Assuming you are smart enough to not leave any finger prints.
This is what I thought too, but after watching the reports from LA and from the San Fran/Oakland buybacks, it would seem that alot of people are dropping off guns that they don't want to get taken from them.

Again no paperwork given, then a person shouldn't be handing over their guns. It would seem by the reports that most (if not all) people dropping off their guns are infact law abiding individuals, and not people that don't want to talk about the drop off.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

I can only say that ..if they think Brillo down a gun barrel and a dremel taken to a serial number will make all well and good to go use it for nefarious purposes? I'll say nothing to dispel that myth with any facts. In this case, it would actually carry the potential to improve a criminal's skill to know how many ways a weapon is traced after a crime in reality and off shows like CSI and NCIS.

Suffice it to say....those two changes would be enough to feel safe and yet, spend life in a 8X10 box to wonder what was forgotten. lol

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

they know who u r. u spend the gift card, which has a serial number attached to it, they then cross reference the time and place were the card was used with the security footage at the register, they then use facial recognition tech and identify you as someone that traded in a gun they then run prints on the guns and cross reference your photo with your finger prints to confirm that it was you that turned in the gun as a second reference they can check the license plate in which car you drove in which is automatically photoed when you stop you car to drop off the gun.. and now you on a list as a possible terrorist. keep your guns people its not worth it.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guyfriday
Before I begin please read this article for KTLA;
KTLA: City of LA holding annual gun buyback

PAUL VERCAMMEN, CNN CORRESPONDENT: Good morning, Carol. Here in Los Angeles, in just about two hours, they are going to begin their annual gun buyback program. It usually happens the day after Mother's Day, but the mayor reacting to what happened in Newtown said that we needed to do something concrete right now.
Taken from CNN transcirpts:
CNN transcripts

When you're the mayor it's not enough to "do something"--it's essential that you be seen to be doing something. Only the dimwitted do-gooders who demand these farcical buybacks actually think that it's making any difference. The mayor and everyone on the street--including the cops--understand the real game....

edit on 12/26/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Wait whos paying for this?

So we just gave a bunch of drug addicts with stolen guns money?

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
You do realize that without a trail the guns become the cops to do as they please. So more setting innocent people up

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikell
You do realize that without a trail the guns become the cops to do as they please. So more setting innocent people up
As it was pointed out, they can track you by either the giftcard, or by campairing your face to license plate info. Not to mention the number on the gun.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mikell

They are just handing them over to the local cartels in east LA anyway, not even that far of a drive. Actually come to think of it they are picking them up at the police station. They just flash some kind of gang sign they developed in prison and bam they hand em over to em.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Is there proof of this? It would be great to know whats really happening with these guns (not that THIS would be great, but knowing really is better then not knowing)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Im being sarcastic but if youve lived in that area of California you know how corrupt it is and something like that wouldn't seem that far fetched.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Sadly, I don't get sarcastic comments in face to face conversation either. Sorry.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Sounds like another setup for Fast and Furious part II ! These guns will be sent to Mexico to see if they can trace them back to drug cartels....

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Places have been doing gun buy backs for decades. No problems have ever come of it. Mostly just people getting rid of guns that are just sitting around they do not use waiting to be stolen anyway.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
Places have been doing gun buy backs for decades. No problems have ever come of it. Mostly just people getting rid of guns that are just sitting around they do not use waiting to be stolen anyway.
Yes, it is an old idea, but it got me wondering what happens to all these guns?

My main concerns are in my OP. Shouldn't a transfer of ownership be given?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join