It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Process to Make One-Way Flu Vaccine Discovered

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

New Process to Make One-Way Flu Vaccine Discovered

www.sciencedaily.com

Dec. 18, 2012 — A new process to make a one-time, universal influenza vaccine has been discovered by a researcher at Georgia State University.....

Associate Professor Sang-Moo Kang and his collaborators have found a way to make the one-time vaccine by using recombinant genetic engineering technology that does not use a seasonal virus.

Instead, the new vaccine uses a virus' small fragment that does not vary among the different strains of flu viruses.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.gsu.edu
www.nature.com

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

By using the fragment and generating particles mimicking a virus in structure, the immune system can learn to recognize any type of flu virus and attack the pathogen, preventing illness. The research appears in a recent edition of the journal Molecular Therapy, published by the Nature Publishing Group.

"We can now design a vaccine that makes it easier to induce a good immune system response to recognize a pathogen, regardless of how the surface proteins of the virus change," Kang said.

At first, the idea of genetically synthesizing a "signature" virus for immunization seemd a bit frightening to me... then I read further and became truly concerned....

Here's a snippet of the abstract of the research.... I have highlighted some portions that I think bear scrutiny... I am hoping the ATS members will help me accept, reject, or understand more fully what this report indicates:

The extracellular domain of M2 (M2e), a small ion channel membrane protein, is well conserved among different human influenza A virus strains.

To improve the protective efficacy of M2e vaccines, we genetically engineered a tandem repeat of M2e epitope sequences (M2e5x) of human, swine, and avian origin influenza A viruses, which was expressed in a membrane-anchored form and incorporated in virus-like particles (VLPs). ...

Intramuscular immunization with M2e5x VLP vaccines was highly effective in inducing M2e-specific antibodies reactive to different influenza viruses, mucosal and systemic immune responses, and cross-protection regardless of influenza virus subtypes in the absence of adjuvant.

Thus, molecular designing and presenting M2e immunogens on VLPs provide a promising platform for developing universal influenza vaccines without using adjuvants.

Well, we know the industry has been fighting against those who identify the adjuvants as part of the problem with vaccines... perhaps this is a solution?

But combining these viral particle signatures and inducing a response in the immune system might not be a cut and dry as it expresses itself int he lab.... or under clinical controls.

"Universal vaccine" may be the next pharmaceutical hurtle the human condition will have to overcome... unless the science is sound... and the genetically-designed VLPs are benign....

What say you?

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
way easy to see a super bug created here that is drug resistant

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Ok, Most of that is WAY over my head.

But....
If they are using the "base" of the various strains, obviously that base has mutated before, to create the various strains, right?
So, wouldn't there be the potential, for even more mutations, when giving to the general public as a vaccination, depending upon different peoples immune system?

Either way, I don't get the shot now, so I won't be getting this new one, if it goes out.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

we genetically engineered a tandem repeat of M2e epitope sequences

pretty scary to imagine that the same bio engineers that brought us to GMO are working on immunos

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I agree that this is heady stuff.

But here's the thing... even though I don;t understand most of the terminology I find myself thinking...

So we create a template of the different viral signatures (the chemical specifics) combing the most notorious influenza viruses out there.... It gets attached to a molecule which is injected into the subject. The subject "recognizes" the foreign substance as a virus... it has all the key identifiers that makes the body react as if it were... The body then produces antibodies which "could be" effective if the "real" virus shows up in the body.

By combining several of the signatures you deliver a broad spectrum of antibody vocabulary to the immune system all at once.

But it occurs to me that viruses evolve or mutate in the wild... by creating a universal reaction to viral presence, these influenza viruses will not be competitive in the body... so... something must eventually arise to take it's place... it will be virulent and 'unknown' and even more prone to pandemic since it is "novel" as far as the natural immune system is concerned... also - it will not have to compete with existing influenza viruses and will likely propagate like a wildfire.....

I hope I am wrong.... after all .. I'm just a layman.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

keep this in mind...vaccines save lives and unneeded spent dollars from all classes of life.

I think your words "I dont understand the medical terminology" are well chosen and mean I shouldnt make a knee jerk reactionary decision or comment

edit on 18-12-2012 by racer451 because: had to fix spelling fingers got a head of the mind

we could be mindless and conceive a zombie or fountain of youth thread out of this. Our Bodies are one big Protein Factory. Proteins and Amino Acids MUTATING can sound Si-Fi

edit on 18-12-2012 by racer451 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by racer451

Thank you. I meant that in all humility. It is easy for me to get alarmed since I lack the .. legerdemain for biomechanical engineering and such... it's one of the many reasons I share these things here... often members teach me new things...

I will admit some negative bias towards the 'chemical' nature of medicine... but I also know it's not all bad.. nor all filled with evil intent...

It is a nice dream... a universal vaccine.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

hey we are all just talking here. And should talk about it.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Maybe I've become incredibly jaded, but I simply do not trust the newer biomedical technologies. They often find one little piece of the puzzle, and then are surprised when things go totally haywire because they didn't see the other parts and how they all fit together.

They should be working to strengthen our immune systems to work more effectively against whatever it comes up against. But that wouldn't be very profitable, would it?

Thanks to the polio vaccine push in the 50s and 60s, all us baby boomers were injected with Simian Virus 40, as the vaccines were grown on green monkey kidneys that had this virus. Now we're all dropping like flies from cancer. See what I mean? They see one part, and fail to see the whole.

www.naturalnews.com...

Gonna pass on this one, thanks but no thanks. If other people want to be guinea pigs, they can be my guest.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
Ok, Most of that is WAY over my head.

But....
If they are using the "base" of the various strains, obviously that base has mutated before, to create the various strains, right?

I think the point of a "base" is that is is the bit that does NOT mutate - it is constant over all strains, and once immunised against the "base" it won't matter how the rest of it mutates.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Well, if the "base" was the original strain, it must have mutated at some point, to get the others, right?

(Not being smart, just trying to sort this out, in layman's terms)

I may not understand all of this, but I am interested in learning.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Haha keep that needle away from me

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom

Well, if the "base" was the original strain, it must have mutated at some point, to get the others, right?

my reading (and I'm happy to be corrected) is that the "base" is the bit that does not change - the mutations are occuring in bits that are not the "base"

(Not being smart, just trying to sort this out, in layman's terms)

np.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Leaving for home, no internet, but..

I think that is the part I'm having a hard time grasping, the base issue.

I'll give it another read tomorrow.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
ah, thats pretty cool. Translation, they found a channel on the surfaces of virus that is universal in most respects. then we just have a viral shot so your immune syste. recognizes it a whole host of virus of that channel.. or protein im thinking.

After reading it yup. No different than the flu shots your getting now that is if you do.
edit on 18-12-2012 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
As everything that is lab created and made by man is bound to fail in one way or the other.

I imagine this whole vaccine is only in the beginning stages, I can only see nothing but science fiction coming from this.

Personally I will never go for this vaccine or anything in this line of new process before years of extensive testing, (that will never happen) and its results.

So I will be happy to wait for the willing lab rats humans to get it first and see the outcome.

Perhaps the zomby Apocalypse is not so far ahead after all, like science fiction movies it always happens in lab.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
"recombinant genetic engineering technology"

Yup. Nothing can go wrong there.

Flu vaccines don't work, except to make vaccine makers lots of profits.

Jefferson and colleagues have published several systematic reviews of existing studies on the efficacy of influenza vaccines. Weighing the data, they conclude that there is insufficient evidence to indicate that flu vaccines reduce infection rates or mortality, even in the elderly.

www.time.com...

As an RN, my informed choice is to never take a vaccine. I havn't been sick in 17 years. You just have to be sure to eat high quality food. You can't eat the typical Standard American Diet and expect good health.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
My first thought was the idea promulgated is faulty. "One time." The flu vaccine is never "one time." That the virus strains change every year is not the only reason they urge you to get the flu shot every year. The immunity from a flu shot only lasts a certain amount of time. So even this one time shot would need to be administered more than once - probably every year or two.

And in my mind, there is way too much research to show that vaccines prompt the immune system to do all sorts of unexpected things and attack cells it's not supposed to. Therefore, making it go even further and get "the base" sounds like further unexpected results as a possibility, that will be met with the same statements we're hearing now: "There is no known correlation between these vaccines and XXXXXXXX."

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I wonder if the "base" of the virus is found in other organs/tissues within the human body. The last thing you'd need would be your our own immune system attacking your cells/organs/etc.

It's interesting when 3 of the 4 people that sit around me at work that got the flu vaccine ended up getting sick a few weeks later only to be told by the doctors that nothing is wrong with them...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join