It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Sandy aid bill filled with holiday goodies unrelated to storm damage

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Yeah, I figured...no matter what sources I posted or how many and what variety I used....the reply would be that it was all somehow irrelevant anyway.

Hmm... At least others who were interested in the actual story got additional sources to learn the facts...

*Dropped a part of reply..after a material point of the message being replied to was edited
edit on 17-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: ...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Also to note, they plan to give A LOT of money to DHS and the justice department, Clearly they aren't using that money to buy new stationary paper, and staples. mind boggling..
edit on 12/17/2012 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Conservative Republicans are still waiting for evidence of damage?

The measure could face a tough fight on Capitol Hill, especially from GOP fiscal conservatives wary of approving such large spending so quickly. House Republicans are looking at a smaller initial package to cover immediate needs while awaiting more detailed evidence on damages for additional spending.

The request, which still needs the approval of Congress, includes billions in urgently needed aide.

But it also features some surprising items: $23 million for tree plantings to “help reduce flood effects, protect water sources, decrease soil erosion and improve wildlife habitat” in forested areas touched by Sandy;

$2 million to repair roof damage at Smithsonian buildings in Washington that pre-dates the storm;

$4 million to repair sand berms and dunes at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida; and $41 million for clean-up and repairs at eight military bases along the storm’s path, including Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

The FBI is seeking $4 million to replace “vehicles, laboratory and office equipment and furniture,” while Customs and Border Protection wants $2.4 million to replace “destroyed or damaged vehicles, including mobile X-Ray machines.”

The relief package also includes a whopping $13 billion request for “mitigation projects” to prepare for future storms.

I don't see where these are out of line.
The Smithsonian? If you don't want to preserve it, you just don't get it.
The space center and Military bases in the line of the storm?

Keep in mind...no one is going to pay for people to rebuild in a location where this is likely to happen again WITHOUT taking preventative steps to prevent the SAME CALAMITY from happening again. This is why planting trees are important. So people can go home.

All of the places mentioned above WERE affected and hit by Sandy. Some people will need assistance building elsewhere and they have an additional, victims relief fund that is not attached to or any part of this.

Regarding the rest of spending here, it isn't like Obama wrote the thing himself. These are what is requested and now they have the opportunity to defend their cases or be rejected. I don't see the need for blame to be placed here. That is pretty jaded politically and this is a process.

Tell me one thing....What do you people have against trees?

edit on 17-12-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Yes I did my fine feathered friend...It's hard for any of us to say what money should go to what place and if we did have a say some places may not get the much needed assistance...I guess it's very hard to judge when you do not see first hand the damage that occurred.

I guess the most concerning piece for me is below,

 An increase of $9.7 billion in National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) borrowing authority (FEMA is expected to exhaust current borrowing authority by January 7, 2013)

I lived on the beach for many years as a youngster and we were flooded numerous times as a result of our choice to live there. We went through the blizzard of 78 and had half of our house underwater and still after that chose to live there and after five or six other floods due to living on the coast. My issues is that if someone chooses to live on the beach they should not be afforded flood insurance as it eventually comes out of my pocket. Now I live on a hill away from the beach
but I get your frustration with my answer and respect your position.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Conservative Republicans are still waiting for evidence of damage?

The measure could face a tough fight on Capitol Hill, especially from GOP fiscal conservatives wary of approving such large spending so quickly. House Republicans are looking at a smaller initial package to cover immediate needs while awaiting more detailed evidence on damages for additional spending.

The request, which still needs the approval of Congress, includes billions in urgently needed aide.

But it also features some surprising items: $23 million for tree plantings to “help reduce flood effects, protect water sources, decrease soil erosion and improve wildlife habitat” in forested areas touched by Sandy;

$2 million to repair roof damage at Smithsonian buildings in Washington that pre-dates the storm;

$4 million to repair sand berms and dunes at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida; and $41 million for clean-up and repairs at eight military bases along the storm’s path, including Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

The FBI is seeking $4 million to replace “vehicles, laboratory and office equipment and furniture,” while Customs and Border Protection wants $2.4 million to replace “destroyed or damaged vehicles, including mobile X-Ray machines.”

The relief package also includes a whopping $13 billion request for “mitigation projects” to prepare for future storms.

I don't see where these are out of line.
The Smithsonian? If you don't want to preserve it, you just don't get it.
The space center and Military bases in the line of the storm.

Keep in mind...no one is going to pay for people to rebuild in a location where this is likely to happen again WITHOUT taking preventative steps and all of the places above WERE affected and hit by Sandy. Those people will need assistance building elsewhere. Regarding the rest of spending here, these are what is requested and now they have the opportunity to defend their cases or be rejected. I don't see the need for blame to be placed here. That is pretty political and this is a process.

Tell me one thing....What do you people have against trees?

edit on 17-12-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

Well, you make a good point on the basis of preservation of the smithsonian, and of course if the kennedy space center could use some work.

But the two things that I'm concerned about are, why is DHS and the DoJ getting all of that extra money, and WHY are they trying to sneak in "fluff" expenses such as work on the smithsonian(I'm sure it's not in a state of disrepair right now), and new vehicles for DHS?

In a time where I'm told to tighten my belt, and make my money stretch longer, I gotta not buy a new car, do not make huge investments I can't pay off etc, why doesn't this apply here? I'm sure their vehicles could get a few thousand more miles through the year. I mean I'm driving a 21 year old truck for god sakes..
=
edit on 12/17/2012 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I had to read through that several times to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. Definitely mind blowing. I'm not surprised though. Thank you for sharing.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

Check out this link around Katrina

Link

Look at how much money went to FEMA and I'm under the impression that a lot more was requested after this bill...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco
reply to post by eXia7

Check out this link around Katrina

Link

Look at how much money went to FEMA and I'm under the impression that a lot more was requested after this bill...

Yeah, it seems they always find a way to pump money into DHS, and FEMA is just a money pit, but they try and prop up it's usefulness with mindless propganda

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
So what will be done? I mean, the story has served its purpose: it filled print for a news cycle

What now?

(besides nothing, that is).

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
So what will be done? I mean, the story has served its purpose: it filled print for a news cycle

What now?

I suppose it will do the same as every other news story that fills the news cycle, it will fall on deaf ears I see.. But, still important none the less, thank you for your lack of contribution to my thread.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7

What now?

I suppose it will do the same as every other news story that fills the news cycle, it will fall on deaf ears I see.. But, still important none the less, thank you for your lack of contribution to my thread.

I'm sorry you see it as a "lack of contribution".

I, in contrast, intend it as a commentary on the state of the nation that has brought such a practice into being considered "normal".

It isn't my fault it falls on deaf ears. Matter of fact, that is the gist of my lament.

Even more, my lack of contribution has bumped this thread. Twice. You're welcome.

edit on 17-12-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7

What now?

I'm sorry you see it as a "lack of contribution".

I, in contrast, intend it as a commentary on the state of the nation that has brought such a practice into being considered "normal".

It isn't my fault it falls on deaf ears. Matter of fact, that is the gist of my lament.

Even more, my lack of contribution has bumped this thread. Twice. You're welcome.

edit on 17-12-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

Well, my fault, unintended. It's hard to determine that kind of stuff via text.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

Lol...i know. Its a warning i give employees when i issue email accounts.

How cool would it be if emoticons could truly portray facial expressions.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join