It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 Dead and 40 Seriously Wounded

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
In attack on airport in Peshwar in Pakistan. This was a rocket attack by militants but the majority of the victims were civilians. This kind of thing is a regular occurance in this part of the world yet is rarely discussed on this forum. Yet if a Civilian tradgedy happens in the USA we get 40 threads on it. Does this mean that the lives of innocent Pakistanis are of far less value than that of an American or other Western citizen, or do we just not care?

www.nytimes.com...

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — Taliban militants attacked the airport in Peshawar, the main city in northwestern Pakistan, on Saturday evening, leaving 7 dead, including 2 civilians, and at least 40 people wounded, most of them civilians.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
People don't think twice about people over there anymore because we have had Us and European occupation in the middle east for so long now.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
There isn't a major world and local push to ban RPG Launchers in Pakistan.
Wrong weapon for the wrong cause.

You must not have gotten the updated 2012 playbook to keep events straight with the causes they match up for public reaction to. It's important ya know.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Yet if a Civilian tradgedy happens in the USA we get 40 threads on it.

It's not that we don't care it's just that this is my country and I want to be aware of news in my country more than other countries. If my country was in Pakistan I would expect the headlines to be about Pakistan and not some place in the US.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

I don't care, just as they don't care about us. We got our own problems to worry about. Are you serious? You think that we should be really concerned about a bunch of civilians dead in a terrorrist attack in Pakistan?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

No, innocents all around the world should be morun and respected the same. There are evil people everywhere, but the good people of the world always seem to over shadowed by them, causing a the hate, discontent, and bigotry. There is no place for this in the world, and it does need to stop. God bless all the victims of this crazy world.

Grim

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I imagine popular forums from Pakistan are talking about this a lot. I am assuming that a lot of the ATS membership is from western countries, of course we are going to take more interest in something that relates to us. Just human nature.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by hammanderr

No I didn't think you would be concerned at all maybe you did not pick up on the satire? The Irony is that a horrific evil event is only a horrific evil event if it happens on your doorstep but its just another none event if it happens to another human being on the other side of the planet. Hey maybe that is why the American people have no concern about how many innocent people their drone attacks have killed in "insert eastern country here". The hypocracy is without bounds.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
NEVER MIND
edit on 12/15/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

NEVER MIND

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Hmm... well to me, the lives are not of less importance in general.

However, the American children are more important to me, simply because they are fellow citizens, and their deaths occured within the United States - which shows this can happen to more and more Americans if not properly addressed. The next time, maybe it is one of my nieces or nephews, brothers or sisters, or even myself. So yes, seeing this happen in America, to these victims in particular, does make me care more for their loss of life than I would deaths resulting from tragedy in a different country that I have little/no information to develop an opinion with.

While I do not value an adult's life any less than a child, I always hate to see children die. I think I feel that way because the children are still innocent and have yet to experience a full life... not to mention the grief put on the families of these children.

Maybe it's becuase I have more in common with the United States victims.... not really sure... indoctrination maybe?...

edit on 15-12-2012 by esteay812 because: tyops

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

You're not being satirical, you're genuinely trying to make a direct point, that's not satire. Also it's not ironic that people don't care about tragedies in other places. It would be ironic if we were complaining that no one in the world cared about our tragedy and then we subsequently revealed our own complete lack of concern for someone else's tragedy. Or maybe you are using the words properly and they've just been so misused that I'm now using them incorrectly. That would be ironic.

link   
i wonder why the brits, canucks and aussies, that come to this site aren't yelling for the pakistanis to outlaw rpg's.
i guess that they are just jealous, that the United States still has somewhat managed to hold on our freedom.
that's why they always come on here calling us gun nuts and such.

ETA: is it legal to own a rpg in pakistan
edit on 15-12-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

I would usually pass rather than come off as rude but these empty gestures need to be addressed. They seem to be attention seeking in nature and a perhaps a grab for stars and flags. Of course this is awful. Of course everyone is affected by it.

I usually steer clear of moral high-horses but this is just low.

If this is your way of dealing, I would suggest another outlet.

OP I'm sure there is a lack of Pakistanis on here and therefore there is little knowledge of the attack.

edit on 15-12-2012 by NiNjABackflip because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by NiNjABackflip

NEVER MIND

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Does this mean that the lives of innocent Pakistanis are of far less value than that of an American or other Western citizen, or do we just not care?

Well, my opinion is this...
Most Americans only care about what happens in the U.S.
Why ? They probably heard they were special to many times...

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by samsamm9

We're talking about the same Pakistani militants that hunted down a 14 year-old girl on a school bus and shot her in the head, in front of all the other kids, because she wanted to have some sort of education, aren't we?

Come on, there is sooooooooooooo much wrong in that part of the world, and they certainly don't want our help.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by samsamm9

Does this mean that the lives of innocent Pakistanis are of far less value than that of an American or other Western citizen, or do we just not care?

Oh, and I suppose you are a saint that cares about everyone...hmmmm?

Most people care what happens in their own country, if something happens elsewhere - not so much.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

I cannot speak for other nations other than my own but voluntary charitable donations to Pakistani humanitarian aid charities from the UK is exceptionally high. I suppose that goes some way to proving that you do not have to live in a nation to care for its people.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

Originally posted by samsamm9

Oh, and I suppose you are a saint that cares about everyone...hmmmm?

Most people care what happens in their own country, if something happens elsewhere - not so much.

No I'm not a saint, but I do care about what happens in other parts of the world, and most people I know do as well. I'm Canadian not American, maybe that's the difference.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join