It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to ban the mentally ill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
More often than not the perpetrator of acts of violence is sick in the head.

The knife attacks in China yesterday were committed by a schizophrenic. The shooter in CT yesterday was allegedly schizophrenic and on meds as were the Aurora theater, Loughner, Cho, and virtually all the others.

The streets are littered with schizophrenics and the mentally ill who self medicate and commit scores of petty crimes every minute of everyday and occasionally murder each other and innocent bystanders out of fits of rage or during robbery attempts.

It's irrational to focus so much attention on the skewed peaks and spikes such as yesterdays event in CT if the goal is to make the world an all around safer place. It's also irrational to place blame on an inanimate object such as a knife, car or a gun.

But here we have a common denominator for a huge percentage of crime across the board and they are much easier to keep tabs on than say hundreds of millions of inanimate objects. They're are fewer mental patients than there are guns. They often end up in the system simply by virtue of their illness. Occasionally they even come forward seeking professional help.

The way I figure it if people are truly serious about making the world a safer place they should be focusing on their efforts on not just the most common perpetrator but also a variable that is relatively easier to track, regulate and control than any other.

So why do we waste so much time and money chasing phantoms that we cant really do anything about instead of working with something we can actually do something about?

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
What can you do about mental people?

And most mentally ill people dont commit crime.

Maybe bad stuff just happens and there is nothing people can do about it. I have noticed the conservative news use this particular talking point. Bill O'Rielly had a segment pushing the same idea. Seems conservatives have a problem with the metally ill all of a sudden.
edit on 15-12-2012 by spangledbanner because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Please clarify, are you advocating eugenics?

Edit: I can't tell if this post is satire or not, if it is, add some smileys or something. If not, guaranteedreplies.jpg
edit on 15-12-2012 by Dispo because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Also, the majority of violent crimes are committed by males. Following your logic, let's ban them too?
edit on 15-12-2012 by PURIFIER because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

I'm confused as well. What are we banning them from? Regardless if we place an even greater stigma on mental illness then even fewer people are going to seek the help they need. All in all this is a terrible idea no matter what we're banning the mentally ill from.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I think the world would be a much safer place if we banned psychopathy.
We'd be free of the NWO and the elites in no time.

As a brit i'm probably in a minority but the more guns in the hands of the public the better.
We cant uninvent them so we must use them to prevent and stop crime.

I wonder how many lives would have been saved if all the teachers and
staff had been openly carrying.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Those with schizophrenia symptoms are prone to become victims instead of perpetrators of crimes

Six Myths on Schizophrenia

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Ban the mentally ill? That's roughly 90 percent of us. One way or the other you need to face it, we're all bonkers! I know, it takes a nut to spot a nut.

Many will read this and say 'I'm not crazy'. Well you're crazy to think that.
Denial, it's not just a river in Egypt.

Talk with you later you bunch of nutters, unless of course, we all wake up banned.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by spangledbanner

Register them, house them in a complex, make their families take out insurances to protect the rest of us from them.

Most mentally ill people dont commit crimes, sure. Neither do most gun owners. That hasnt stopped politicians and political action committees and an ignorant public from attacking them and calling for bans on them and they arent even the common thread in these assaults and crimes.

I'm just suggesting all that energy be focused where a difference can actually be made and not toward some scapegoat.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeta Reticulan

The research actually does show that schizophrenics are more likely to commit violent crimes than the general population. This is especially true if they have substance abuse problems.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by PURIFIER
Also, the majority of violent crimes are committed by males. Following your logic, let's ban them too?
edit on 15-12-2012 by PURIFIER because: (no reason given)

A schizo female is more of a danger than a sane male. Schizo is the common denominator here.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
More often than not the perpetrator of acts of violence is sick in the head.

The knife attacks in China yesterday were committed by a schizophrenic. The shooter in CT yesterday was allegedly schizophrenic and on meds as were the Aurora theater, Loughner, Cho, and virtually all the others.

The streets are littered with schizophrenics and the mentally ill who self medicate and commit scores of petty crimes every minute of everyday and occasionally murder each other and innocent bystanders out of fits of rage or during robbery attempts.

LOL. Littered with schizophrenics? About 1 in 100 people will suffer a schizophrenic episode at some point in their lives. The majority of them will be relatively short-lived, one-off events that people will recover from and have no re-occurrence. First time acute episodes are also more likely to be treated with hospital care &c, with the sufferer not having the opportunity to litter the streets.

As you were told on the other thread, the premise of this thread is a nonsense. Statistically, a schizophrenic is more likely to be the victim of violence rather than the perpetrator.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

So you're essentially saying we should bring back mental institutions. That's an awful idea. We've tried them. They failed abysmally. We're just now getting rid of the stigma that institutionalization helped create.

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

The real problem is NOT the mentally ill.

The REAL problem is how we treat the mentally ill. They are homeless on the street. Some by "choice" but that is a hard word to use in this context.

In the 1980s or so, we used to commit people into mental hospitals. This was very good for the public but not so much for them. So, the mental health community decided that this was wrong and a violation of their rights. They were turfed out of mental hospitals. BUT and this is the important point, there was no support system set up for them in the community.

Of course, they don't want to go to shelters, where they are beaten up and robbed. Would you?

So how about if we start really putting money into the issue of mental illness and set up proper community support systems?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
i think we should have a national gunfight day...once a year, anyone that wants to go out and shoot somebody will be able to strap on a gun and go outside and shoot other people packing guns. everyone that doesn't want to participate in americas national pastime has to stay inside.
i mean why hide it, the NRA would be for it, politicians that don't want to pay for mental health help, would be for it...and it would certainly rid us of alot of nutty people
the economic impact would also be good for the country...the creation of jobs needed for the shoot-out clean-ups, the paperwork people hired to handle the record-keeping, the police needed to control the kill-zones after that day would get overtime, and you could have helicopter-replay shows of the actual battles for weeks, and let's not forget, the actual shooters can finally have their adreneline rush releaved from blasting other people.

link   
If they were hearing voices telling them to do that or something might happen to them, how do you control that? It can start basicly at anytime from youth to adulthood. I think we need to compare notes on what voices are, figure out there's a real source, try to find and destroy it, stopping voices which attampt to drive people to madness. I got through mine, but they did scare me so much i spent almost a month running around the city because i thought nukes were dropping. This is how real this program gets. These murdering schizophrenics probably felt as if they had no choice, but im not excusing them for not fighting against the voices as most of us do. I would never harm anyone even if im scared of voices at the time.

link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

So you're essentially saying we should bring back mental institutions. That's an awful idea. We've tried them. They failed abysmally. We're just now getting rid of the stigma that institutionalization helped create.

No. I'm not.

Check TiredofControlFreaks post.

There is virtually no support mechanism anymore for these people. Reagan and at the same time a bunch of state governors dumped them all out onto the streets to save a few dollars. A few dollars that ironically went right into the prison system and the war on drugs.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive

Ban the mentally ill? That's roughly 90 percent of us. One way or the other you need to face it, we're all bonkers! I know, it takes a nut to spot a nut.

Many will read this and say 'I'm not crazy'. Well you're crazy to think that.
Denial, it's not just a river in Egypt.

Talk with you later you bunch of nutters, unless of course, we all wake up banned.

ill be first to hold my hand up as i have issues ie i used to want to hurt myself
but no longer feel that way
now i am leaning to cope with anger towards others (not kids or women)
and im coping ,i call myself a work in progress
plus i have a very good DR ,DR SUE MACDONALD,helping with my mental issues
not to forget DR HEW CHARLS JONES helped with my vertical gastricv sleeve

so OP its not the mentally ill its the help they receive that you should be questioning
and OP if you think for one minute that your perfect go and see your DR ASAP

A star for you TheLieWeLive
hope you didnt think i was venting towards you

edit on 15/12/2012 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Register them, house them in a complex, make their families take out insurances to protect the rest of us from them.

Most mentally ill people dont commit crimes, sure. Neither do most gun owners. That hasnt stopped politicians and political action committees and an ignorant public from attacking them and calling for bans on them and they arent even the common thread in these assaults and crimes.

I'm just suggesting all that energy be focused where a difference can actually be made and not toward some scapegoat.

Seems you are looking for a scapegoat.

Are you just going after scizophrenics? Or right through to the autistic? That wont make alot of mothers happy. Have conservatives considered this? How many people are depressed? How many of them can you offend?
edit on 15-12-2012 by spangledbanner because: cant spell

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

most mentally ill think they are sane (are your bells ringing yet)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join