It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does America Want Guns? Following the latest shootings.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

Silly argument cars are not made to kill people, guns are.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Being a canadian, and living in windsor ontario, directly across from detroit, i thought i would offer my opinion. As a Canadian ive grew up never having an ominous fear of being shot. I was told in school the same mantra the gun-regulators have been pumping for ages. Guns are dangerous, and only the police should have them. My false sense of security was dashed when 3 houses down from me, an illegal alien (american) with a vendetta broke into the house and shot the victem in the head. This was a drug related crime, and my neighbor actually survived. Very often police raids finds illegal firearms in drug related raids. Across the river, i think we are all aware of the situation in the D. You would think im the kind of person that would say gun control works here, it should work for you too. This is not a one size fits all solution, and implementing strict gun-regulations is going to make it harder for people that follow the law to protect themselves. Theres simply too many guns in circulation on black markets. The illegal firearms are killing people, and thats almost every gun related homocide story there is.

When i go to Detroit for a day i almost wished i was issued a concealed carry permit, but this is simply impossible. I get the silliest of fears about getting hit by a stray bullet driving down I-75. Its insane, i give my head a shake. I move a mile across a river and im fearing for my life? This is insanity. Its been pumped into my head for so long its all i think about going to detroit. And its wrong. If i could get a concealed carry permit in canada i would. Im trying to make time to go ahead and get my gun license. Its not very difficult, and while it might be harder than the usa, any sane person can get a firearm in canada. This difference is the mantra surroundig it. I have a unique perspective of two sides of the fence. Ive been to chicago, atlanta, los angeles, san fransisco, miami, and i felt safer there than i do toronto. The D is an exception, but ive put this non-sense behind me. Its just the way information has been presented in countries with strict gun control. Its extremely misleading. Im not familiar with gun restrictions in the usa, and it varies from state to state, but its not much different to our system in canada. Its definatly more strict here in ontario, but regardless i can go and buy a gun.

To the Americans defending your constitution, i beg you to never give up this fight. Dont stop until they come knocking on your doors demanding for your guns. You must uphold the constitution at all costs. Im going to let you in on a secret why i realised how silly i was for thinking i was so unsafe i was in the USA. I seen a man with a concealed. I realised that while the criminals are going to be criminals, the good guys would have the power to stop terrible things from happening. While my city has very low (sub-5) homocide numbers on average, stabbings and armed robberies still happen. And when im in a store and it gets robbed, theres not a goddamn thing i can do to save my own life. I have no intent on being a vigilante or hero, but i would most certainly do everything i could to stop innocent loss of life. I would like to think that the vast majority of people of all race and creed feel this way, and the few that dont will be dealt with as they surface. Dont respond to the knee jerk response, i seen things the op's way before seeing it the american way, and it took a long time to respect your regulations, but in hindsight, its all thats going to work.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by manmental

As long as there are people that might kick in my door and rob or kill me, I'm gonna have a gun to protect my
family and myself.

You that live in England should know better than anyone the result of the severe gun restrictions. England
created a DEFENSELESS class of people and your criminals, they just don't obey the laws. So, the bad
guys have guns and the good guys don't. That is NOT a situation I want to be in. And what is your defense against a gun? Are you gonna use a knife, a club, taser, sword, or you going to call the Cops? Oh, all the things I've mentioned are illegal EXCEPT, calling the Cops (Bobbies?) and the Cops ALWAYS arrive TOO LATE.

To sum it up, you are Prey.

edit on 15-12-2012 by pistolerooo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by PvtHudson

Silly argument cars are not made to kill people, guns are.

they are made for defence and hunting as well- not the same.

Take alcohol, it is made to mangle your mind, look at the number of bodies lying in mortuaries murdered at the hands of a drunk person, or bodies after drinking driving, or broken homes, kids taken into care homes, abused etc

(same goes for drugs)

That wrecks many more lives than horrific incidents such as this shooting

What about those victims, why are you not out pushing prohibition

This leads me to believe a lot of outrage is insincere
edit on 15-12-2012 by Credenceskynyrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by pistolerooo
reply to post by manmental

As long as there are people that might kick in my door and rob or kill me, I'm gonna have a gun to protect my
family and myself.

You that live in England should know better than anyone the result of the severe gun restrictions. England
created a DEFENSELESS class of people and your criminals, they just don't obey the laws. So, the bad
guys have guns and the good guys don't. That is NOT a situation I want to be in. And what is your defense against a gun? Are you gonna use a knife, a club, taser, sword, or you going to call the Cops? Oh, all the things I've mentioned are illegal EXCEPT, calling the Cops (Bobbies?) and the Cops ALWAYS arrive TOO LATE.

To sum it up, you are Prey.

edit on 15-12-2012 by pistolerooo because: (no reason given)

Firstly it's Britain not England and none of the things you mention are illegal they only become illegal if you have intent obviously people don't carry swords around unless they mean to harm people....Britain has a huge problem with knife crime but again knives are not illegal to have, it is illegal to use them to cause harm or threaten... i know plenty of people who carry a knife in their pocket... for reasons like fishing or some people i know need them for work so they usually carry one with them so your hysterical logic is actually complete nonsense.......

if hand guns were not banned here i would most definitely have one for the reasons you mentioned but to make out that we are all defenseless prey is is nothing more than ignorance and speculation

edit on 15-12-2012 by Ph03n1x because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-12-2012 by Ph03n1x because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Guns did not make him kill all those kids...
Why ban something thats not a problem?
The problem was what ever caused him to do this act.
He could have locked the room and stabbed them all to death.
Should we ban kitchen knifes?
edit on 15-12-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
It's not why we allow guns.

It's why do we let people with mental problems walk the streets just because they promise they will take their meds?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala
Because there are still some of us left who are smart enough to understand that punishing the innocent won't mitigate the crimes of the guilty.

I mean think about what you're saying. "Bad, law-breaking citizens shoot people, so we must respond by disarming good, law-abiding citizens." There's zero logic to that.

The problem is that you have lunatics among these people. How the hell are you going to make sure that only law abiding citizens wear guns? The simple fact is that people are being killed by lunatics with guns which is something that would be much more rare if guns were banned in first place.
Sadly it is now too late as most of the population already owns at least one.
But still there would be less death if they had been banned from the start like here.

Here where i live i dont actually have to carry weapons to feel safe which is thanks to guns being outlawed for ages.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
It's not why we allow guns.

It's why do we let people with mental problems walk the streets just because they promise they will take their meds?

There are many kinds of mental issues that does not make you a murderer. And those who are a real danger to others are infact very hard to diagnose like for example psychopaths. These people can appear completely normal even though they don't feel any kind of empathy for others.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
why does the world care if we have guns?

It is none of your business world. We don't mind them, and that is enough to keep them here. Do what you think is right in your countries and don't visit if it bothers you that much. The way we see it, other countries without legal small arms still have violent crime involving them since criminals don't follow the law anyways and seem to find guns when they want them.

SOOOO...... we are keeping ours. Not your moral obligation to give us a hard time about it. Not your country. sorry. Our house, our rules.

edit on 15-12-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Random thought...maybe gun statistics are down due to gun control in these countries...but is murder down now too? Murderers MURDER...it's what they do, they'll find a way to kill people, with or without guns.

Our right to bear arms has been fought for by every Veteran that has and is currently in any armed service, men and women died for this right...it is to ensure defense against any encroaching enemy including our own administration or foreign enemy, as well as predators who threaten life, limb and property.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by manmental
This is a general conspiracy.
And a question to all American ATS-ers.
Why the frig does the US insist on having guns given the hellish result of guns?

I live in the UK and I am horrified by mass gun killings and the USA breeds them.

Why doesn't the USA ban guns?

That is the BIG CONSPIRACY I am harking too.

Your black president cries but allows gun laws to continue.

What gives USA?

Banning guns would be like banning Americans.
We are one and the same and without the power and the tools to protect ourselves we would not be any better than a common European.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz
why does the world care if we have guns?

It is none of your business world. We don't mind them, and that is enough to keep them here. Do what you think is right in your countries and don't visit if it bothers you that much. The way we see it, other countries without legal small arms still have violent crime involving them since criminals don't follow the law anyways and seem to find guns when they want them.

SOOOO...... we are keeping ours. Not your moral obligation to give us a hard time about it. Not your country. sorry. Our house, our rules.

But what you are saying is complete bull though. If you look at for example at scandinavia that has had strict gun laws for ages you will see that it actually worked. It is extremely rare that people are killed with guns, even though we do have crazy people here as well. It is not easy at all to get hold of firearms here even for criminals, which is why most of the murders are from stabbing or being punched/kicked to death. If these same people had access to guns then deaths would be many times higher.

So either you Americans are more violent by nature or gun ban actually works.

And don't worry.. Would never want to visit a country where you are treated as a criminal and radiated to death just for crossing the border.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

what about the 2011 Norway attacks. Dont they ban guns there as well? Seems like he found a crap load of weapons and ammo huh.....and targets.

fair enough, don´t come here. Since you don´t seem to care about us really then leave us alone with our guns. Shows that the concern is anything but.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

And don't worry.. Would never want to visit a country where you are treated as a criminal and radiated to death just for crossing the border.

Well, if you ever do, and if you survive being radiated, look me up.
I want to introduce you to my gun.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AFewGoodWomen
Random thought...maybe gun statistics are down due to gun control in these countries...but is murder down now too? Murderers MURDER...it's what they do, they'll find a way to kill people, with or without guns.

Our right to bear arms has been fought for by every Veteran that has and is currently in any armed service, men and women died for this right...it is to ensure defense against any encroaching enemy including our own administration or foreign enemy, as well as predators who threaten life, limb and property.

There is hardly any murders here because of this very reason. Why is it so hard for you to believe that there would be less victims if murderers did not have easy access to guns?? Do you really think that if this guy had a knife he would have done the same damage?? He would be lucky if he was able to stab a few people as he would have to be in close proximity to the victims. Also easier to run away from a maniac with a knife than someone armed with firearms.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by FinalCountdown

Originally posted by juleol

Well, if you ever do, and if you survive being radiated, look me up.
I want to introduce you to my gun.

So now you are threatening me for having an opinion on the matter?? You just proved yourself that some people like YOU should never ever be anywhere near firearms.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

there is a thread right now on the boards about an attack in China with a knife. 20 victims.

I remember the attacks on the Madrid subway from a Neo-Nazi with a knife, a dozen people or so..

BAN knives too.....Ban everything.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

reply to post by juleol

what about the 2011 Norway attacks. Dont they ban guns there as well? Seems like he found a crap load of weapons and ammo huh.....and targets.

fair enough, don´t come here. Since you don´t seem to care about us really then leave us alone with our guns. Shows that the concern is anything but.

Which he had to IMPORT from a foreign country. And that was the only such incident that happened on Norwegian soil. And if you actually read my other posts you would realize i am not a person that thinks gun ban is the solution in USA. I am just saying that this would not have happened if guns were outlawed in first place as there would be way less firearms around which means that it would be much harder for even criminals to acquire one.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

reply to post by juleol

there is a thread right now on the boards about an attack in China with a knife. 20 victims.

I remember the attacks on the Madrid subway from a Neo-Nazi with a knife, a dozen people or so..

BAN knives too.....Ban everything.

Notice how there was 20~ injured and not 20 killed which makes a big difference.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join