It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Grammar Police a list of famous bad spellers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty

Originally posted by SpearMint
What is your point? That bad grammar and spelling should be embraced? I can't see any other point that you could be making. Good grammar and spelling doesn't make you smarter, I don't know who said it does, but bad grammar and spelling makes you appear less educated. Grammar police are a good thing. Learn from them to make others think you graduated from secondary school.

Your key word was appear,but it does not make you smarter.That was my point thank you

So? I clearly said it doesn't make you smarter, and I've never heard anyone say it does. Appearing to be smarter is a GOOD thing and there's no reason why bad literacy shouldn't be worked on, unless you're dyslexic, which 99% of the time is not the case.

If you did a study with a large sample size, I think you'll find a strong correlation between "smarter" people and good literacy skills though, the two often go hand in hand.

You're basically saying "just because you look stupid doesn't mean you are" which is true, but you're also saying "looking stupid is ok", which I don't agree with, because it's a very easy thing to work on.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

firefox has an inbuilt spell checker for pretty much everything you type.
(that cursed red wavy line reminding me how stupid i am).

if you don't want to use ff, then surely there's a plug-in.
or a dictionary.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Oop's can I get away with that sentence?

1. Apostrophe out of place.
2. Comma required after the first word.

Number three is an incomplete sentence.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rikku
reply to post by boymonkey74

firefox has an inbuilt spell checker for pretty much everything you type.
(that cursed red wavy line reminding me how stupid i am).

if you don't want to use ff, then surely there's a plug-in.
or a dictionary.

So does the most popular browser, Chrome. Those 2 make up about 80% of internet browsers in use last time I checked so I don't think many people pay attention to that red wavy line.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

i lose sleep over that red wavy line.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Grammar is based upon a set of predetermined rules. It is not intuitive, especially in the written form. There is a lot of room for creativity, the bending of rules, and blatant disregard of them for effect, in literature and in casual interactions or conversations such as we have here.

Having said that....

Some forms of intelligence - or even genius - don't lend well to predetermined structures. Thus some very brilliant people end up being terrible at writing. It's too mechanical in nature for everyone to be good at it.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
*gives hefficide a Shakespeare sticker*
edit on 7-12-2012 by Rikku because: ugh

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

Did you read the quote at top by Da vinci?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Did you read the quote at top by Da vinci?

Sonny, I KNEW Leo! lol Those artsy-type deep thinkers didn't talk much anyway.

Funny how not having the correct tools doesn't work in any other field, but many find it okay to not have the tools for proper communication. Would someone be hired to build a house if, instead of hammers and saws, he had a hair dryer and a cook book? Would you play football with someone that only brought a ping-pong ball to the field? Would you get into a horse race while riding on a snowmobile?

then y would anyone wants to read whats you writed if you doesn't use your grammar tools ?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Content matters more than construct.

I don't think that Picasso could have drawn a stick figure - but that didn't seem to stop him from painting. Van Gogh had such an unusual style that people, to this very day, try to come up with medical theories to explain it.

Oh, and I know of one book that is poorly written, full of archaic phrases, and is exceptionally difficult to read, much less ingest. It's read by a few hundred million people per day.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   

F.Scott Fitzgerald
Ernest Hemingway
John Keats
Albert Einstein
Winston Churchill
Leonardo Da Vinci Here is a quote from him that should go over well on ATS.

"You should prefer a good scientist without literary skills,to a literate one without scientific skills."

Agatha Christe
John F.Kennedy
W.D. Yeats
Benjamin Franklin

Grammar police we are sure you are all smarter than these people.

This reminds me of people who justify dropping out of college or high school because some rich, famous people did it too.

"Yeah I'll figure something out...I mean Steve Jobs dropped out of college, and look at him now!"

"Uhh yeahh....you're not Steve Jobs."

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
You can add Samuel Clemens to the list, better known as mark twain.

There is an anecdote about his editor asking him to try and use proper punctuation and Grammer, to which Twain response was to send him page after page of comas, periods, etc. and tell him there they are put them where you damn well please.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
So basically you can excuse anything by just listing off some famous people that had the same vice/issue? Solid thread OP. Finish it off with a sarcastic remark and you're good to go....

Apart from the fact pretty much nobody on ATS grammar polices, If you're afraid of grammar nazis then... start improving your grammar.... Not that complicated.
edit on 8-12-2012 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

If we encouraged our kids to read rather than watch dvd's or play on the X-box, just maybe they'd learn grammar subliminely ? They would also use their imagination to picture the scenes, nothing worse than watching a film having read the book, seems my imagination is so much better than that of the director's. Of course my imagination doesn't have budget restrictions.
edit on 8-12-2012 by cody599 because: Grammar police

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I'm so talented at it that I manage to destroy the English language even with a powerful and complex computer, with spell check, trying to stop me.

Spell check will not correct words that have been spelled correctly but used in the wrong context...such as where and were, their, there and they're or whole and hole...it can provide a false sense of security. It is useful for more complex words though, but English being what it is, that is still no guarantee of accuracy.

I used to fret about such things, but decided that as long as the point can be understood it is of little consequence. I am human, and I make mistakes. Some, rather sadly, live to find faults in others, obviously working on the misconception that they themselves have achieved perfection, besides, if it gives someone some pleasure to pick at my faults, who am I to disappoint them.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raelsatu
So basically you can excuse anything by just listing off some famous people that had the same vice/issue? Solid thread OP. Finish it off with a sarcastic remark and you're good to go....

Apart from the fact pretty much nobody on ATS grammar polices, If you're afraid of grammar nazis then... start improving your grammar.... Not that complicated.
edit on 8-12-2012 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

Don,t put words in my mouth.The point of this thread is to show,that you don't have to have grammar skills.To add to a intelligent conversation.Some people tend to negate a persons idea over a spelling error.

IMO this seems to show that they may not have much to add ,and to compensate will grasp at any straw.I do agree that proper grammar is needed.But many free thinkers cannot operate in that level.

Not everyone feels the need to use spellcheck,when posting a thread.Those that do may need to look up obsessive compulsive disorder.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

I don't think that Picasso could have drawn a stick figure - but that didn't seem to stop him from painting. Van Gogh had such an unusual style that people, to this very day, try to come up with medical theories to explain it.

Oh, and I know of one book that is poorly written, full of archaic phrases, and is exceptionally difficult to read, much less ingest. It's read by a few hundred million people per day.

~Heff

Painting isn't about trying to communicate an idea from one mind to the next. I want to tell you what is on my mind, and I want you to understand it. Therefore, it is MY responsibility to convey that thought in language, structure, and context that I know you are used to.

My thought - my responsibility.

It would be ignorant of me to make it YOUR responsibility to try and figure out what I'm saying, or writing.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

reply to post by jiggerj

~Heff

Painting isn't about trying to communicate an idea from one mind to the next. I want to tell you what is on my mind, and I want you to understand it. Therefore, it is MY responsibility to convey that thought in language, structure, and context that I know you are used to.

My thought - my responsibility.

It would be ignorant of me to make it YOUR responsibility to try and figure out what I'm saying, or writing.

Let me get this right.You are saying painting isn't a form of expression?Or you were trying to be grammatically correct and failed to convey your point?
edit on 8-12-2012 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rikku
my spelling is almost perfect. it's just a shame i only post when i'm drunk.

also, are you sure about da vinci? couldn't he write poetry with his feet whilst drawing helicopters?

Did a couple searches,to confirm what I thought I knew.By god they comfirmed it.

My eyes! God damn, my eyes are on fire! What is this horrendous level of grammar I witness!!!

Rikku, you claim to be a good speller yet you don't even use capital letters at the start of a sentence, nor did you capitalize the singular "i". You didn't even capitalize any part of Leonardo da Vinci's name!

rockymcgilicutty, spaces man, spaces!!! There should be a space after commas and after the end of a sentence. This is not rocket science. Oh the horror... the HORROR!

edit on 8/12/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join