It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinions, Please. My Community College is Offering Ghost Hunting Courses

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
interesting... bit expense.. but sounds fun .. take the course it do good for you to have something new to learn and help you to relax ..

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
We all know that those "ghost hunters" have yet to find one.
Can't say that we do. A quick personal discussion with a famed (cover of Scientific American) expert in perception and cognition spoke to the fact that "there is, indeed, something going on there". In a species with few absolutes, the belief in ghosts exists in every culture and society. I have experienced some weirdness that can't be readily explained away. And one of the most entertaining lunches I ever had was with a couple of archaeologists...one academic, the other government...swapping ghost stories with each other.

My feeling on the matter is that stuff like ghosts, UFOs, time anomalies, heck, maybe even Sasquatch, will eventually be explained away in what I call my 'Unified Weirdness Theory', and will likely involve quantum physics.

As to the course? I'd take it, but I agree with the poster who says that it is not to be taken lightly, and requires respect. Just my two cents worth.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Well said.

I can agree with that. Perhaps I need to expand my area of interests and look into the ghost issue a bit more.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Perhaps I need to expand my area of interests and look into the ghost issue a bit more.
I think it's something that comes looking for you, though I suppose you can seek out hauntings. I have had four experiences that could readily be explained away as ghost stories, and heard a bunch more. Can't say that I'm 100% sold on the concept...but there is sumthin' going on out there. I really do appreciate the caution from a previous poster, though. Essentially, now that you've found one, what are you going to do about it? Is there a responsibility to them? Something I never even considered.

Still, I do talk to the human remains I've encountered.
edit on 8-12-2012 by JohnnyCanuck because: of style, my man...style.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Still, I do talk to the human remains I've encountered.

My curiosity gets the better of me....what do you mean by this statement?

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

My curiosity gets the better of me....what do you mean by this statement?
Nothing too strange. In the course of my archaeological endeavours I have encountered human remains...First Nation... and in dealing with them, I reassure them that they will be respectfully returned to familiar ground. The FN believe that their ancestors have two spirits. One that passes on, the other that remains with...well...their remains. I don't take on FN beliefs as my own, but I treat their beliefs with respect. I have been asked by an elder to periodically smudge sacred artifacts from time to time and talk to them, and I do so honestly but without assuming the religion. Simple respect. As to the human remains that may temporarily be under my stewardship prior to repatriation, I do the same.

Have there been ghosts associated with them? Maybe, but that's another story.
edit on 8-12-2012 by JohnnyCanuck because: of spelling, eh?

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I commend you for your respect. Perhaps it would be educational for you to tell us about your experiences with any ghosts you have encountered.

I'm interested now!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
who knows you might be able to start your own business and get on television and prove absolutely nothing.
you know like these shows, ghost hunters , ghost hunters international, destination truth, fake or fake, or one of the countless bullsh@@ shows on tv.

and then again you might could help some ghost "break on through to the other side"

i think i could waste 65 bucks on something more worth wild..

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

okay go but just to have a good time and to figure out that they are lying. then bring here your experiences for us. we would appreciate it.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by bwcawaterbear
I am a professional that deals with the dead and moves them on to another place where they can continue. I have been a Director of a group who does this for over 15 years. That said, I would caution you about a few things. People who have died and not passed on are desperate for acknowledgement in most cases. Their world is not solid, they cannot be heard or seen, they are often either depressed, scared or angry and suffer from a mental state of extreme apathy at times that quickly goes away when they can actually have someone talk to them...

They experience great frustration when found and located and then not helped.

Great advice, and I agree with you 100%. I've never taken a course or anything, but a couple of friends and I have had bunches of experiences so we formed our own group. We've had a couple of "hits" on a K2 meter and one EVP, but no real two-way communication. I myself, however, have helped two ghosts to cross, and they were the most rewarding things I've ever done as a human being. One of my goals is to get better at sensing energies and eventually opening up communication so I can help them much easier. Any ghost hunting our group is involved in is conducted with the purpose of helping any energies we do locate cross over if they are willing to do so. The real thing is much different than what I've seen on TV, for the most part, and it's hard to find someone who respects the dead any more.

And by the way, for all of you who think people only do this to bilk other people out of money, we charge nothing for our investigations, and we are certainly not the only ones.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
That's so cool!! I wish my college had this opportunity!!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scribe611
And by the way, for all of you who think people only do this to bilk other people out of money, we charge nothing for our investigations, and we are certainly not the only ones.
I'm currently in the process of organising a 'ghost hunt' in an institution with which I'm associated. I look forward to passing details/results along to my ATS crew.
edit on 27-5-2015 by JohnnyCanuck because: clarity

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Don't go there.
Stirring up spirits can cause major bad karma for you.
in my experience.
There is a reason for those old folk tales and injunctions against disturbing the dead.
a reply to: smyleegrl

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I know a bit about this. You need Demi Moore and a pottery wheel...

Seriously though, if you see Casper - tell him he still owes me $20...

Actually seriously, it sounds like fun if nothing else. I would take it all with a grain of salt and as long as it doesn't involve human sacrifice or something similar I say enjoy it and see where it takes you.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I've personally been involved with some big names in paranormal investigation, and I'm here to tell you that there's no such thing as a 'certified' paranormal investigator. I've met plenty of certifiABLE people in that field, but no one is 'certified'.

The class itself might be fun, interesting, or even informative, so obviously the level of your satisfaction may be enough to justify the fee, but whoever is running it, is BS'ing about being 'certified'.

***EDIT TO ADD***
Usually, events and classes such as the one you're referring to, are used as a means of procuring new gear (cameras, EMF detectors, batteries, and if they make a fair sum, perhaps a FLIR) for the specific group running them.
edit on 5/27/2015 by ProfessorChaos because: edit to add

top topics

<< 1   >>

join