It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinions, Please. My Community College is Offering Ghost Hunting Courses

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
That's right. For $65.00, I can spend four nights (spread over a month) learning the tricks of the trade with a "certified paranormal investigator." The course culminates in an investigation of a "famously" haunted building nearby.

I'm tempted to do it, its only $65.00 and it interests me. I don't have any equipment, but the course says it has stuff available for us to use.

The reason I think it would be enjoyable is I'm so stressed out at work right now (I'm a teacher and my principal and I are in serious locked horns). Something like this might just be what I need to let off a little steam.

What I wanted to know from you, my friends....have you taken anything similar to this course? Would you recommend it?

Thanks for the opinions,

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
My opinion is that any institute of higher learning that offers a "Ghost Hunting" course is a disgrace. If you get $65 worth of entertainment for your fee, I guess it's worth it, but I wouldn't get my hopes up that you'll actually see any paranormal activity.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Ah go on do it, take a bottle of malt and have a good time.
You can be ATS's ghostbuster

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Hell, why not?? Parapsychology and Paranormal Studies are official and accredited courses of study in numerous Universities around the nation and world, as far as I know. Why not have a "Personal Enrichment" level set of classes on the same general topic? After all, the shows on TV have made it something I'm sure many would like to learn more about..if only on a lark!

I'll say this OP, if schools here were offering this for $65, I'd sign up in a heartbeat. One of two things happens. I'd learn how the equipment, theory and reality of investigating on this works for reference in the future.... OR..... I'd see first hand how this is rigged, hoaxed and generally bamboozles the public on TV.

Either outcome is worth a few nights and $65 in my opinion. I'd say got for it!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I am a professional that deals with the dead and moves them on to another place where they can continue. I have been a Director of a group who does this for over 15 years. That said, I would caution you about a few things. People who have died and not passed on are desperate for acknowledgement in most cases. Their world is not solid, they cannot be heard or seen, they are often either depressed, scared or angry and suffer from a mental state of extreme apathy at times that quickly goes away when they can actually have someone talk to them. Please try to keep in mind that they are people and have the same mind set that they died with, or sometimes even worse. They become attached and can travel in much the same way that you can and will hitch a ride, they are not stuck to a location unless they want to be.
They experience great frustration when found and located and then not helped. They are not trusting either, because hey. they were in a body once too and look where it got them. So they are not going to readily just sign up to what ever you have to say. There are protocols in dealing with them that should be followed, for one, put up protections from the Freewill Positive Side asking that no one becomes attached to you and that nothing will harm you in anyway.
Find a pair of dowsing rods and learn how to use them, you will readily be able to find them with your rods once you learn how to use them, and will not have to pay anyone to do so. If you want to learn more I would be glad to help you with this, I have great empathy for the 'homeless dead' and would be glad to offer advice. Otherwise, try not to make this into a dog and pony show, finding the dead and then leaving them hanging as so many do. You can reach me U2U if I can be assistance. Good luck and be careful.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I'm tempted to do it, its only $65.00 and it interests me.

If it interests you do it! I doubt you'll see anything but who cares it would be fun. Take a camera and do an awesome thread for us. It's not really my bag but I'd sign up with you. You might meet some neat people and 65 bucks is about the cost of dinner and a movie (or a movie and popcorn).

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I would go for fun. I like being creeped out though, always have. Fear helps you know your alive.

When I was a kid I would leave a tape recorder recording outside at night, or in my room while I was at school. I got some pretty creepy recordings of like whispers, and weird buzzing sounds. I used to call them the "blue-flies" for some reason.

Lately I am totally wrapped up in studying quantum mechanics, and entanglement for the very same reasons. The truth is far more bizarre then we can account for with our limited senses. Like our minds process something along the lines of 400-billion bits of information a second, but we are only aware of about 2000 of them.

For all we know every person that has ever lived and died is still walking around on some other plane, and interacting with us.

Take the coarse it will be a good time.

edit on 7-12-2012 by PassiveObserver because: punctuation

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I would and I wish I could! If I lived closer to you I would sign up too!

From my experiences 'ghost hunting' it should be fun and you might make some new friends (hopefully not ghosty friends!).

If you decide to, keep up updated! I would love to hear about the course.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
If you are just doing this for entertainment, the answer would be NO. As for relieving stress you say you have at work... this could add more stress to your life than you ever thought possible!

If you do go, say a prayer of protection first. Also, take the advice of the person in the post who has been doing this for many years that posted above me a few spots (sorry, I didn't catch the username).

Again, I will remind you to be careful what you wish for! You have been warned.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
My opinion is that any institute of higher learning that offers a "Ghost Hunting" course is a disgrace. If you get $65 worth of entertainment for your fee, I guess it's worth it, but I wouldn't get my hopes up that you'll actually see any paranormal activity.

For $65 this is not an official for-credit class supported by taxpayers. It's part of a "Community Schools" program many community colleges have that is supported with outside funds. The instructors come from the community and do this as volunteers or for very low pay. Our local CC doe sthe exact same thing. It's kind of like the Park Department offering Yoga instruction for seniors. No big deal.

So go for it. You might learn something and at the very least, you'll meet some like-minded people, or at least people you know to avoid from then on.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I just know you're going to go.

I'll want to know all about it!

I went on a paranormal investigation at a historical restaurant/Inn. It was an evening of dinner and wine and a presentation by a local investigtor and his wife. We were all able to help with the nights investigtion, including using their tools. Not much happened that particular night, but it was fascinating and fun.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for the advice, it's wonderful to see differing opinions.

Alas, I won't join this class this year.....because an even bette one opened up! The course costs more, but will count toward my continuing ed credits and will hopefully give me a leg up in my writing. The course is writing for children, and this is a lifelong dream of mine.

So maybe I will play ghost hunters next time around!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
sad to say the job prospects are better than a receptionist

just get a van and some tee shirts and charge folks $125 for a 3 hour investigation

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

This would be a huge waste of money..

And shame on the idiot thats teaching the course / trying to steal money from stupid kids.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Thanks everyone for the advice, it's wonderful to see differing opinions.

Alas, I won't join this class this year.....because an even bette one opened up! The course costs more, but will count toward my continuing ed credits and will hopefully give me a leg up in my writing. The course is writing for children, and this is a lifelong dream of mine.

So maybe I will play ghost hunters next time around!

I was so sure you would take the paranormal class. LOL The writer's course sounds interesting and surely one that you could benefit from. Good luck and have fun!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The money may be worth 4 nights of entertainment, but I would not take the course in the hopes of actually learning to track and find ghosts.

We all know that those "ghost hunters" have yet to find one.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I say go for it and share your experiences!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

That's right. For $65.00, I can spend four nights (spread over a month) learning the tricks of the trade with a "certified paranormal investigator."

What governing body provides accreditation for paranormal investigators?

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

My opinion is that any institute of higher learning that offers a "Ghost Hunting" course is a disgrace.

The course may have value but it comes off sounding like the old expression -- underwater basket-weaving -- ie a waste of time and effort.

This entry on your transcript might be used one day to belittle you in some way. Stranger things have happened when political systems go insane. Like ours has in the financial collapse and the war-of-terror.

If you're going to take this "course", see if you can just do a sit-in audit without records. Perhaps as a academic courtesy.....

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jcarpenter

My opinion is that any institute of higher learning that offers a "Ghost Hunting" course is a disgrace.

The course may have value but it comes off sounding like the old expression -- underwater basket-weaving -- ie a waste of time and effort.

This entry on your transcript might be used one day to belittle you in some way. Stranger things have happened when political systems go insane. Like ours has in the financial collapse and the war-of-terror.

If you're going to take this "course", see if you can just do a sit-in audit without records. Perhaps as a academic courtesy.....

Its not for credit, as mentioned above. I have a master's degree plus additional credit hours, heading towards a doctorate.

The community college also offers other "community" interests, such as quilting, woodworking, and basket weaving (kid you not). Its just for folks who want to learn a hobby, that's all.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join