It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Doctor Told You Your Cholesterol is HIGH...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
You have to give up eating 3 of your favorite foods immediately due to the level of BAD cholesterol in your blood...what 3 do you choose from the following list...

1) Eggs

2) Cheeseburger

3) Macaroni and Cheese

4) Ice Cream

5) Rib-Eye Steak

6) Muffin

7) Lobster

8) Chicken

9) Liver

Now some foods it depends on how you cook them and with chicken, eating the skin is considered to be worse and frying it even worse yet, also, the choice of oil is a factor. Grilling, Baking or frying anything has different effects on the cholesterol level.

Personally, I find olive oil to be my preference when cooking and grilling is my preferred method.

Like anything though moderation is the key when eating any foods, especially these listed above.

Aside from that, if you had to give up any of them period which one's would you choose.

I specified 3, me...liver (hate it) is first, no problem,lol...2nd...muffins (never eat them)...3rd is the toughest...lobster (most expensive).

Please share!

BAW33

edit on 12/5/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: Edit

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

1. Liver
2. Cheeseburgers
3. Mac & Cheese

Just to note, I would die before I would give up ice cream or rib eye steak!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I can say in my case, I was forced out of trucking for diabetes and blood pressure. Cholesterol was just part of the package and ...consistency of blood was nothing I'd given thought to until they pointed out the physical side of what some of what we eat does. I'll leave it there since you've probably gotten the same by now. It's yucky to hear and worse to see.

I'm no fanatic and am firmly in that camp that says these canine teeth of mine are for eating meat. At the same time, I'll tell ya, cutting out fast food and just dumping fried foods for the same things cooked other ways helped me drop 60lbs in less than a year and with no serious increase in physical exercise. I just went from a truck to a classroom for sitting. Also, the more I cut back on red meat specifically....and not cut out, just cut back...the better I've felt.

It took reading an account from a marine about running PT after eating a big lunch of a popular archy like fast food place, then feeling like wanting to sleep more than run, to really think about it and realize...sometimes, these meals do almost feel like a light sedative, it's so bad...

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

My kid, who is a cat lover by the way would be severely disappointed in your choices, liver he wouldn't be caught dead eating , but cheeseburgers and mac and cheese, no way lol.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

So that's why 2 things seem so obvious now, you look really skinny and the roads seem to be less hectic for some strange reason...on a serious note though I had a similar situation I will share some day in a thread, I am glad you got a grip on it, Blood sugar doing good?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

I've pretty much already given up the Mac & Cheese. It's my grandbaby's favorite food and I've made it so many times I'm sick of looking at it!

Please extend my apologies to your son- the kitty is bad!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

I wouldn't give up eating the muffin, she's got a nice smile, bright eyes and looks like she'd be a lot of fun. But why give up anything, why not just supplement with foods that increase good cholesterol and eat lots of garlic? I mean seriously, the Inuit used to live of seals and whale fat, they lived to be 70 to over 100, must be doing something right, right?

ETA: I'd also change doctors because the asshat would also probably tell me to on some poison like lipitor.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 12/6.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: eta

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Blood Sugar has been the oddest thing. It took forever to change... Like trying to make a u turn in a cargo ship. I've been off the road for a couple years now and only the last 6 months or so has it come down markedly. Now it's almost too low at 90-95 several times recently. Health is a funny thing as I'm learning. Fast results don't happen...but the results matter a lot.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle

I wouldn't give up eating the muffin, she's got a nice smile, bright eyes and looks like she'd be a lot of fun. But why give up anything, why not just supplement with foods that increase good cholesterol and eat lots of garlic? I mean seriously, the Inuit used to live of seals and whale fat, they lived to be 70 to over 100, must be doing something right, right?

ETA: I'd also change doctors because the asshat would also probably tell me to on some poison like lipitor.

Cheers - Dave

Well first, that muffin is off limits to you, 2nd cholesterol is High and it's not good...I don't want to eat lots of garlic and I wouldn't trust a medication to lower it without side effects, so I would give up certain foods if I was told it would lower my BAD cholesterol, but I would try moderation first before I took medication, 3rd the Inuit are dealing with a different environment and whale fat does no necessarily create a high BAD cholesterol, it probably has a high concentration of what they call GOOD cholesterol (fish oil). It is the triglycerides and poly saturated trans fat that causes the High BAD cholesterol, just pick 3 from my list and play right...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Metabolism certainly affects the rate blood sugar changes and eating habits take time to register the changes, right?

Lower is better than high, right?

Easier to bring it up than to lower it.

Just don't make the mistake a lot of people do and fall back into old patterns because of a false sense of security, moderation, eat what you like, but small portions, nothing bigger than the palm of your hand, 3oz to 4 oz portions, 4 oz. of juice, cut the fried foods out, lose the butter and keep cheese to a minimum , no mayo, use olive or vegetable oil and only a small amount, 1oz salad dressing, try to grill when possible, water exercises are the least stressful (not talking about swimming either), more like water walking, try not to eat after 8pm, snacking on low fat foods or fruit in between meals is good.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
aren't you just a fat american? most people don't eat those things.
i mean the MAJORITY.
you need doctor to tell you too much icecream is bad for you?

Lower is better than high, right?

i hope youre pretending to be stupid.

the replies in this thread make me feel quite sad.
edit on 6-12-2012 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-12-2012 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rikku
aren't you just a fat americam? most people don;t eat those things.
i mean the MAJORITY.
you need doctor to tell you too much icecream is bad for you?

Well not really sure what a fat americam is, icecream is 2 words and I think you need help with grammar...other than that...if you didn't want to participate in my thread, leaving insults is not appreciated, it was really a very simple question. High cholesterol does not necessarily mean someone is fat...are you stupid because you don't know how to read or write?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

i'm sorry my grammar isn't up to your standards.
but that not the issue., is it.

i'm not gonna have green peace try to roll me back into the sea.
it's your problem. good luck.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Rikku

Why you feel the need to come in here with insults is beyond me, perhaps you are just looking for trouble...take care and don't let the thread smack you on the way out...

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

1. Liver - I've attempted it multiple times but still cannot tolerate more than a taste.
2. Ice Cream - I actually have little taste for sweets so this is also somewhat easy.
3. Lobster - As others have mentioned, I just don't have the bank.

Now that I've given up 3 things which I either do not enjoy or cannot afford, let me move on to eliminating 3 things that would be difficult.

1. Eggs - I love eggs over easy. On toast. With copious amounts of salt and pepper.
2. Macaroni and Cheese - Velveeta and shells has not just a gustatorial relation, but an emotional one as well. It borders on a religious experience.
3. Cheeseburger - The world would just not be the same without cheeseburgers. I aim towards vegetarianism but oft fall short upon the crackle of the grill.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

I hear you on falling back into old patterns. THAT part is worse than smoking ever has been after quitting to stay on top of. Heck, smoking is something I've never much looked back at once I got clear, despite a lifetime doing it. Food however? Good God...I think we're SO thoroughly conditioned to look at food as much as a timed event or something to do to pass the time as much as eating because real hunger exists that it's probably the most difficult thing I've ever done over a long term. Its like fighting human nature not to munch sometimes. Scary, actually.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenAngelWings33

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle

Cheers - Dave

Well first, that muffin is off limits to you, 2nd cholesterol is High and it's not good...I don't want to eat lots of garlic and I wouldn't trust a medication to lower it without side effects, so I would give up certain foods if I was told it would lower my BAD cholesterol, but I would try moderation first before I took medication, 3rd the Inuit are dealing with a different environment and whale fat does no necessarily create a high BAD cholesterol, it probably has a high concentration of what they call GOOD cholesterol (fish oil). It is the triglycerides and poly saturated trans fat that causes the High BAD cholesterol, just pick 3 from my list and play right...

Well that's not fair LOL, Einstein said that, "all things are compulsory, unless expressely forbidden by law." If I had to get rid of three foods... hmmm... Macaroni and Cheese, Liver and just the Muffin (not the accessory attached to it). There, I played the game ;-) LOL

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I actually have very low chloresterol and it has impacted my life. It's half the average of UK which is 5 __(?)

Does liver, lobster and muffins increase chloresterol? I could do with it increasing, I don't make enough hormones.

I don't like lobster though, I wonder if crab will do?

I love liver pate though and it is very good for your liver. (Not dog's or polar bear's livers though, as they are so poisonous; too much Vitamin A).

I could have a muffin a day, if they made good ones in UK, but they are very plastic tasting.

The doctors know but all I have asked about low chloresterol, just don't know or care, they think I am lucky-no I'm not.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AriesJedi

Having a low cholesterol seems like an easy fix, increase your intake of fish oil.

Read more: www.livestrong.com...

You can get fish oil by eating fatty fish such as mackerel, salmon, herring and tuna, but fish oil supplements are also available. The maximum recommended dose of fish oil is 3 g per day, MayoClinic.com explains. Consuming more than this can make you prone to easy bleeding and bruising because fish oil interferes with your platelets' ability to stick together, impairing blood clotting.

edit on 12/6/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: add

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Thankyou.

That makes alot of sense, as my hubby had a cholesterol test and his was normal but his triglycerides were abnormally low.
So we need more fatty fish.
We have cod and chips about once a week or so but we obviously need more.

I think I will have to be careful though, as I have inherited a blood clotting problem, as we are little bleeders.lol

I think I will just have to ask Santa Clause for a new body, as I also have deficient Vitamin D, potassium and phosphate.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join