It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we really in December?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kuroodo
I live in New Jersey...... today is an average December day.... but guess what? I'm sweating. I saw some other guy with sweat running down his face.

I saw that it was 64 degrees Fahrenheit here. I even felt like going to the beach (too bad Sandy destroyed the shore line).

You're kidding right? 64 degrees and you people are sweating? Are you and the dude obese or is there something you're not telling us? Were you running around or what? Exercising? Cooking over a very hot stove? Common, spill it.

64 degrees and you want to go to the beach? Idk, I may be California born and raised but 64 is still not "beach weather" unless you're surfing and don't care for the temp.

Your disclaimer is quite evident now.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Kuroodo

It doesn't take much to utilize the tools right in front of your face Kuroodo. You obviously have access to the Internet and instead of researching this "feeling" or question of yours, you decided to post on ATS.

This is what gets me about people in general. You have it all right here, right now. You don't need to go to the library, make phone calls, contact weather stations. Nope, just a little savvy search queries will give you historical temperatures for your area; from dew points, highs/lows, rainfall, etc, etc.

I just wish I could have been the first person to reply to you and then tell others to let the little bird fly. They are young and if we, ATS or anyone else, continues to hand over everything and anything they will never learn on their own.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
You'll never hear someone from Vancouver with a thread like these about the weather..

it's grey skies for life here it seems..

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I was just thinking about something like this earlier today, but it had more to do with the calendar. Over the course of a thousand years or since we began the calendar that we recognize today, how much have the seasons shifted from when we started to now?

For instance, take leap year. Every four years we have to add an extra day to our calendar to stay on the right track, and thats because we actually have an extra 1/4 day throuhgout the year, but surely that quarter isnt exact, what if its more like 7 hours 30 minutes a year that we actually have (instead of the even 6 hours for that 1/4 day), how would that tiny bit of time over the course of 2000 years effect how our seasons line up with the dates we assign for each particular season?

At 365 days and 24 hours per day we come up with 8760 hours in year, plus 6 hours that we account for every 4th year, so really every year we have 8766 hours, and what I am asking is, what if thats really somewhere between 6.1 hours and like 9 hours? Its too small to maybe have been thought to make a difference, and theres no real way to account for it, so how could it possibly effect the timing of our seasons as it should line up on our calendar?

Just think if theres really 8767 hours in 1 year as an example, every 24 years we are losing one day, over 2000 years thats about 83 days. So can anyone explain this to me, has this been addressed?

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Below average temperatures in the UK for this time of year. A lot of snow, temperatures in the - degrees (c).

Rumour has it that it will be the harshest winter for over 100 years with temperatures falling well below -20(c).

BRING IT ON!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by phishfriar47

That is why we have a leap second. ( I think your calculation might be a little off, just a little)

Leap second
edit on 4/12/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I did not know, thank you for looking that up for me. I was sure that this had been addressed before, but it just smacked me in the face today and I was curious. I knew someone on ATS had the answer!

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
In sweden there is very much snow now. No diffrent from any other december.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I posted about this on another thread. I live in Missouri. We had a very warm November last year and this year was even warmer.

It was 74 degrees on December 3rd. It broke a record for the warmest day in December ever. I feel like we are breaking records every other day.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Record high of 83 yesterday here in Fort Worth, Texas. Yard work in shorts and no shirt.

I want to start my rainwater catchment system, but I need to test my roofwater first to see it it needs to be filtered before watering the garden. Can't test roofwater without rain. None in the last month.
edit on 4-12-2012 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-12-2012 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
yeah pretty normal around this time of year for it to be hot, for us..

lol.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
Loving it here in IA. I took the day off yesterday to finish up some needed yard work. I remember in 2006 I moved into my house Dec 29th and it was in the 50's then as well. Moved in sweat shirt and had no snow on the ground. The longer we go the faster winter goes

My family,well my mom's side is from South Carolina,my dad's side,from Iowa.
We moved up to mid western-central Iowa in the mid 70's.
It was freaking cold ,a huge difference from where I came from.
2 feet of snow in 1 day and the school buses had snowchains on the tires and I went to school.

We have been in a consistent warming trend,IMO,for the last few years.

Where I live now in Kentucky,it has been nice and warm and pleasant.
But I fear for my original homeland in the south close to the coast.
The tides alone have been plenty high,but they keep getting higher.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
It's a steady 54 degrees here in bunker Unit #453.
We have an indoor weather room for when you want to "go outside".

I sure do miss the real sun though

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Also, this weather makes me think of winter tornadoes.
So much warm air waiting around for the next cold front to move in.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I'd like to add, it is 55 degrees right now at 11:50PM here in New Hampshire on Dec. 4th.

Pretty sure this is a new record. I burn wood pellets for heat and the heat is off.
I love this weather I don't care what anyone says.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
yup hot here in the chi,IL

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy88
You're kidding right? 64 degrees and you people are sweating? Are you and the dude obese or is there something you're not telling us? Were you running around or what? Exercising? Cooking over a very hot stove? Common, spill it.

64 degrees and you want to go to the beach? Idk, I may be California born and raised but 64 is still not "beach weather" unless you're surfing and don't care for the temp.

Your disclaimer is quite evident now.

That's 17 Celsius and .. even I don't sweat in that. Blimey, didn't even think of what it was in my numbers.. yikes.

If they want to know what hot is, they need to spend a summer in WA. Where it's 45c in the shade and the wind burns your skin off.

Oh and yeah, odd weather down here too.. It was stinking hot yesterday and then today raining and muggy. Overcast.

Should be sweltering heat, but I bet that will come yet. It always does..

One thing I think we should be aware of, the globe will not change uniformly. If it's really hot somewhere, it doesn't mean it has to be different somewhere else. So for everyone saying "Yep.. nothing to see where I am." it only means you're not affected.

The earth has a specific way of keeping itself in a state of equilibrium. And it doesn't care if we get in the way.

edit on 5-12-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Well, we are below the 10th percentile in temperature - meaning that more than 90% of 5th decembers in recorded weather-history were warmer.

-6° C. 5cms of snow.

This is unusual.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Maritimes here, weather is pretty normal for my area. Up and down, up and down, we really don't get much of a fall or spring up here. Me and my family had a gathering in NS on nov 25, there was 5 inches of snow on the ground, had a ball with the little kids letting them pelt the hell out of me with snowballs. We had two light snowings in NB so far, but nothing that stuck around long. I can't wait till the first real snow, so I can start setting up the rink in my backyard

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
Well, we are below the 10th percentile in temperature - meaning that more than 90% of 5th decembers in recorded weather-history were warmer.

-6° C. 5cms of snow.

This is unusual.

Unusual in the perspective of records yes. But who is to say that before records were kept it is quite normal?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join