It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Police Officer Gift to a Homeless Man / Photo Goes Viral.. Nov. 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Since everyone likes to portray police officers as evil and inhumane, I thought I would share a nice gesture from the evil squad of NYC.

As of late Wednesday, the photo had been shared 47,716 times, boosting subscribers to the department's 5-month-old page by 7,000, to 95,000, officials said.

"I had two pairs of wool winter socks and combat boots, and I was cold," DePrimo, 25, said Wednesday, recalling the night of Nov. 14, when he encountered an unidentified, shoeless man on the sidewalk on Seventh Avenue near 44th Street.

DePrimo offered to get him socks and shoes.

"I never had a pair of shoes," the man replied, according to DePrimo, who's assigned to the Sixth Precinct and has been on the force nearly three years.

The officer walked to a Skechers store on 42nd Street and shelled out $75 for insulated winter boots and thermal socks. He returned to the man, knelt down and put the footwear on him.

"He smiled from ear to ear," DePrimo said. "It was like you gave him a million dollars."

The officer asked the man if he wanted a cup of coffee, but he graciously declined and went on his way.

"I didn't think anything of it," DePrimo said of his generosity.

But during dinner that night, he got a text message from a friend. The photo had gone viral.

"I was absolutely shocked," he said. ___

(c)2012 Newsday

Visit Newsday at www.newsday.com

edit on 29-11-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Sorry, I'm an idiot. Ignore my first post, which I removed. Just noticed the time stamp of the thread.

Manhater, thanks for posting. Its wonderful to see such a heartfelt picture.

S&F
edit on 29-11-2012 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Makes us realize that under the uniform there are individuals. Great feel good post for the holidays!
Brightened up my day

We have a handiman in my town , very low income, who shovels walks for the elderly, even in -30.
He had boots , parka, and toque. My neighbor and I went to Mark s and got him snow pants and
thermal gloves. Now he shovels our driveway, and we are quite capable of doing it ourselves. He
usually beats us to it.

It really is better to give than receive. Something we should all remember this season.

running with the wolves

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Sorry but it doesn't matter how many good deeds someone does, if they are oppressing people at the same time it means nothing! For instance I could help old people do their shopping all day 7 days a week... I'd be real nice right? But say I tell them what they can and can't eat at the same time, would I still be a nice guy? Not in my book!

This also looks like a photo op to me anyway...

It is true though, the cops need some positive PR, looks like they are trying to get it...

I saw this vid yesterday, which again is good but when you step back and view the whole it means nothing...

Sorry but this is just my opinion...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
this is why I still believe in us.

Thanks man.

Officer....thank you where ever you are.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mee30
Sorry but it doesn't matter how many good deeds someone does, if they are oppressing people at the same time it means nothing! For instance I could help old people do their shopping all day 7 days a week... I'd be real nice right? But say I tell them what they can and can't eat at the same time, would I still be a nice guy? Not in my book!

It is true though, the cops need some positive PR, looks like they are trying to get it...

I saw this vid yesterday, which again is good but when you step back and view the whole it means nothing...

That opinion sounds sorry, photo op (please)!! No one is reading your book anyway.
You can neg this up if you want, but a good deed is a good deed.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

I am glad you shared. I am glad to see there is good people in the world still.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Wtf I do this all the time....

Where's my 5 minutes of fame viral picture

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Great Story...right on....
As much dis-trust I have for the police in general...this story is heartwarming, and worthy of praise to this kind man...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Great thread and story. We need more of this in the world. Just goes to show you, because one bad worm destroys one apple, doesn't mean the whole bushel is tainted.

S/F

-SAP-

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

There's good people in the world. Even in places where you least expect it and from people who
have been jaded by their circumstances. Hope someone starts a....Christmas collection for this
officer on one of those donation web pages--rewarding good behavior for some whose job usually
entails punishing bad behavior.

As for the second video...It deserves its own thread....plenty to talk about on that one. The OP
of that one should repost as a new topic IMO

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

Feel free to run with it...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Turkenstein

Thank you for your opinion on my opinion.

It is duly noted and filed...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
What an awesome gesture on the officers part and any others that may have been apart of helping him. I'm sure the man's grateful to have warmer feet. To those screaming conspiracy and photo op, my gut feeling about this story and the pic tells me, if the cop was asked to go over and put shoes on this man so some media whore could get a pic, he would of told them to go screw themselves. I've been wrong many times but thats what I think in this case. It doesn't hurt to every once in awhile to take things at face value, not everything is a damn conspiracy.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

What an awesome gesture on the officers part and any others that may have been apart of helping him. I'm sure the man's grateful to have warmer feet. To those screaming conspiracy and photo op, my gut feeling about this story and the pic tells me, if the cop was asked to go over and put shoes on this man so some media whore could get a pic, he would of told them to go screw themselves. I've been wrong many times but thats what I think in this case. It doesn't hurt to every once in awhile to take things at face value, not everything is a damn conspiracy.

I haven't heard anyone screaming conspiracy here... My main gripe isn't even about any conspiracy. If you read my first post you will see clearly what my main gripe is... The photo op comment is an after thought in my mind... Still, either way it is a bonus for the homeless man to have shoes now.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I haven't heard anyone screaming conspiracy here..

Sorry but it doesn't matter how many good deeds someone does, if they are oppressing people at the same time it means nothing!
]

conspire:
plot, scheme, plan, intrigue, machinate, collude, connive, collaborate, work hand in glove; informal be in cahoots.
2 circumstances conspired against them: act together, work together, combine, unite, join forces; informal gang up.

Social oppression:

The systematic, socially supported mistreatment and exploitation of a group, category, or team of people by anyone.

They're very much the same in my eyes.
edit on 29-11-2012 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

LMAO... So I guess you are in support of "victim-less crimes" then? You are in support of kicking in peoples doors and locking them up in a cage because they CHOOSE do something with their own bodies voluntarily? You would in fact be in support of the guy who was telling the old people what they can and can not eat?

Do you believe that the GOV should control your diet? I mean obesity is a real problem right? Diabetes and all the other health implications such as heart attacks etc etc... Do you think the GOV should make certain foods illegal? Or if they did would you believe that to be oppressive?

My point is if the GOV did make certain foods illegal, lets say hamburgers for instance, this lovely caring cop would kick someones door in and haul them off to a cell because he is told to! Show me a cop that doesn't enforce immoral laws and then I will be very impressed! I would be even more impressed if he still had his job after a week!

I mean if you really want to you can call it a conspiracy to control the population. That would be fine by me, I don't see the difference it makes... Oppression is going on today, that is all that matters to me.. And you see the police will enforce it because of course, they are just doing their job!

This is more of an issue of compartmentalization, which allows people to simply pass the buck...
edit on 29-11-2012 by mee30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
There's a few cops out there that actually care, and are willing to protect and serve. They're rare, but they're out there. It's always nice to see it though. Thanks, OP.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

LMAO... So I guess you are in support of "victim-less crimes" then? You are in support of kicking in peoples doors and locking them up in a cage because they CHOOSE do something with their own bodies voluntarily? You would in fact be in support of the guy who was telling the old people what they can and can not eat?

Do you believe that the GOV should control your diet? I mean obesity is a real problem right? Diabetes and all the other health implications should as heart attacks etc etc... Do you think the GOV should make certain foods illegal? Or if they did would you believe that to be oppressive?

My point is if the GOV did make certain foods illegal, lets say hamburgers for instance, this lovely caring cop would kick someones door in and haul them off to a cell because he is told to! Show me a cop that doesn't enforce immoral laws and then I will be very impressed! I would be even more impressed if he still had his job after a week!

I mean if you really want to you can call it a conspiracy to control the population. That would be fine by me, I don't see the difference it makes... Oppression is going on today, that is all that matters to me.. And you see the police will enforce it because of course, they are just doing their job!

This is more of an issue of compartmentalization, which allows people to simply pass the buck...

I think this is a great post and would like to see it remain that way, so........I'm not into a pissing match with you. Just saying, by definition of terms you're contradicting yourself in your post. The manner in which you used the term "photo op" is a conspiracy in itself is it not?

Photo-op:
The term has acquired a negative connotation, referring to a carefully planned pseudo-event, often masqueraded as news.[3] It is associated with politicians who perform tasks such as planting trees, picking up litter, and visiting senior citizens, often during election cycles, with the intent of photographers catching the events on film, generating positive publicity.

It doesn't really matter much to me either way, just glad he has shoes, streets of NY get cold this time of year.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I'm not one to shed tears loosely,but when I saw this, I admit it, I did. To this officer, whose first name happens to be the same as mine, I wish him and his family well. Job well done, officer. I salute you. Polo.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join