It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why am I on ATS? Because you are my Community!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I got to thinking today while here on ATS.I observed the banter on the gender fails, the over used generalities to describe gender behaviors, the humor and some anger and I thought to myself, we are like a big family holding a reunion everyday.

After three days we might start to smell but we wouldn't miss it for all the reality shows on TV. Think about it. We engage in debate and a myriad of activities. Like a family we have our know-it-all uncles, our caring aunts, our crazy cousins. our narrow minded fathers, and forgiving mothers. Our sisters and brothers are involved in amazing things. Our grandmothers and grandfathers periodically remind us of what is really important in life.
I can honestly say the reason I am here is because you have become my community! And perhaps even more amazing my extended family.

In the "real" world we are often separated long distances from family and friends. But I can go on here and with a click of my mouse I am sitting in our virtual living room engaged in real conversation with you folks. I am on FB, at my daughters insistence, but it is often sophomoric and very contrived communication. No one is expecting you to be honest and tell them how you are really doing or really thinking. Conversations becomes posts of how they took a run in the park and they have a pot of turkey soup on the stove.Then there are the cute photos of kids, cats, birds, seals, and squirrels. If you mention something negative happening anywhere in the world you can feel the wave of uneasiness come over the page.

But here we have freedom and exercise it to say what is really on our minds. To be challenged by our know-it-all uncles, to participate in the joy of discovery and learn about others all over the world. I think more and more of us our finding our voices in this context and environment. I wish I had joined a long time ago!

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by grayeagle

Tis indeed a colorful family and hood here, and yea it is refreshing to be able to discuss things with so many different folks without the immature comments and vile ego aggression(except that Hefficide dude)

Kidding, Heff is awesome! ATS provides news fast and we get to chime in on events. I have learned many things including to eat my humble pie with gratitude, what a chinese lantern ufo looks like and that reptilains may not be real.

Gotta give props to the mods too, they do a great job,imo.
Appreciate your sentiment grayeagle

Peace,
spec

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

It really is cool. I am starting to get to know some of the others posters and their personalities. I have by and large been treated very well other than a couple crazy cousins. I enjoy the humor but respect the seriousness as well. Thanks for your response and I am sure we will talk agan!

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I must fall in the " crazy cousin" category.
I love this place. No where else on the net quite like it.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

My ego is not vile. It's just really big and a bit tawdry!

Regarding the OP - I consider ATS my community as well. In fact there are folks here who know more about me than my own family does. Heck, anyone who reads enough of my posts accomplishes that.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

It's your blood bacon levels.it can make your ego jump up a notch.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by stonebutterfly

You're saying I have too much blood in my bacon system?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Yes. Double dose of bacon stat!

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I come here because it's the closest thing to finding people who can relate to me lol. Sad but true. And because there is a lot of thought and unique perception being thrown around. I am privileged if I can catch and integrate a few particles of it a day.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I wish you were right OP, but I'm actually here for the news that gets scrounged off the internet... plus to point out to people that some on here have the priorities of lunatic toddlers.

Some people here are okay but I'm sure I'd want nothing to do with most people on this site. It's not me, it's them. I know that sounds bad and cocky but it's true.

every day that I come on here somebody is posting some racist crap, or stuff that would offend the very lives of some even if others don't see it... stuff that shapes lives and society It gets to stay put no matter whose actual life it could effect... and it remains as long as it stays on topic.

You follow the rules and it's called respect, you offend people's lives, it's called freedom of speech, you offend certain members of this site on little tiny petty crap that would only bother a child who had not yet developed any real bearing in their life and you get banned.

People in general are reminders that important things are out of sight out of mind but their own social dynamics and quirks are like written law.

I'm not really pissed off about it because I know there are two realities... one where reminding people of express control over crap that doesn't matter "just because we can and this is how our society works so deal with it", which is only a facade of reality... and then there is the true reality that's going to wipe it's ass with what is considered our socially acceptable version of reality.

Yeah, I don't come here for the company but do try to keep an open mind.

Some people are actually deserving of attention.
edit on 28-11-2012 by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by NotAnAspie

I hear what you are saying and there are times when I too wonder at the comments I see and hear. But it isn't much different from my neighborhood. There are some druggies, some racists, some real a--holes in my community but there are also some really wonderful kind and intelligent people as well. Same as on here on ATS. We don't have the liberty to chose our relatives but here we can chose who we hang with. We can ignore those who irritate us. So when I say ATS is my community it isn't said with a blindfold on. I will let my signature state my stand.

edit on 06/02/2011 by grayeagle because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join