It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday Preppers....UK style.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Just a heads up for anyone who is interested, next Wednesday at pm on National Geographic channel is the UK's chance to do the Doomsday Preppers thing....

The precautionary prowess of the British is proudly on display in this programme which proves that the wonder of apocalyptic wariness isn’t purely an American phenomenon.

Civil unrest, financial chaos and natural disasters are everyday news – and, whether it involves survivalists stockpiling away in Surrey or completely upping sticks and moving to Slovakia, Preppers UK: Surviving Armageddon features British preppers who’ve armed themselves with much more than just a stiff upper lip.

UK Doomsday Preppers

Should be worth a watch....i wonder if any are members here? I also wonder how fast they'll get a knock on the door too.

CX.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Cheers for that I will watch it

Now lets show how us Brits do it without guns

Harsh language would do the trick

CX

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by CX

Cheers for that I will watch it

Now lets show how us Brits do it without guns

Harsh language would do the trick

Totally....and i'd write a strongly worded letter to someone about something.

Was thinking about having a vat of boiling tea ready to pour on intruders, however i found my stash of Hobnobs and decided it would be a waste of PG tips.

Oh the joys of prepping in the UK.

CX.

CX

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Oh yeah....and although i'd rather not give out all my info on the net....i would also shake a stick at someone and tell them i know where they live.

If that fails....."I know ya mum and dad!!!"

CX.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I'm sure there's plenty for Americans to learn from this.
You Brits have always been resourceful and inventive and no doubt will have some solutions that others haven't dreamed up.
Looking forward to it.
Cheers,
ATA

"We shall fight in the bathtubs, we shall fight in the loos, we shall never surrender"

edit on 24-11-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

CX

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
You Brits have always been resourceful and inventive and no doubt will have some solutions that others haven't dreamed up.
Looking forward to it.
Cheers,
ATA

"We shall fight in the bathtubs, we shall fight in the loos, we shall never surrender"

I like that quote

Yes whilst i reckon it will be slated as much as the US version has been at times, i like to think we could all learn something from each others plans.

My way of thinking is, listen to everything, take what suits your needs. It might not all make sense to you, nor be needed for your environment, but give everyone a chance to speak. Who knows, we may just learn something from the most unlikeliest of people.

If i take just one thing from the US or UK shows, thats one more than i had before.

CX.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Looking forward to it.
Cheers,
ATA

That's exactly what I was thinking. Having a gun is a great advantage but learning to survive without one is critical. Bullets will only last for so long. I give a big

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

being british myself and also being prepared for alot of things, getting along without a handgun is quite easy, high powered bb guns do alot of damage i aslo know how to use a slingshot (an btw yes you can kill with those ) , so you dont always need a gun to defend yourself, also a set of keys with the keys poking out between the knuckles do a hell of alot of damage , handguns are not always the answer

CX

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by imnothereru
also a set of keys with the keys poking out between the knuckles do a hell of alot of damage , handguns are not always the answer

Agreed, although i never got on with the keys through the knuckles thing, they seemed to hurt my fingers and collapse more than anything lol. I have heard of them used to great effect that way though.

Was teaching my girls how to use a Kubotan last night.....my wrist is hurting this morning lol....a 14 year old taking down a 40 year old lump of a man with a piece of metal is quite humbling.

Hopefuly things would never get that close though.

CX.
edit on 25/11/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I'm British and I don't know anyone who thinks like this or takes people that do seriously. Seems to be a mainly American form of nonsense.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by DPrice
I'm British and I don't know anyone who thinks like this or takes people that do seriously. Seems to be a mainly American form of nonsense.

Yes,, and the US still has their rights to bare arms.. Yall had yours taken away..
Prepping in any form is not nonsense.. its called survival
cant survive on tea for very long and yer majesty it gonna come round with cookies to feed you?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

edit on 25/11/2012 by theguygeeza because: Double Post

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Northwest of England here...The Council Estates Of Hell!!

We've a network of people prepared from all different parts of the country, between us we've most items/arms. I did write a list of some of the things I 'had' in my home in a thread. My fellow paranoid prepare' have most other things we need too, we've planned what directions we're going in, if we're taking a big boat, our gene pool from the various families and all the rest, it has taken a long time.

I don't watch TV but will ask one of the lasses to recorded it and give it a watch, there's bound to be things worth picking up/listening too/considering.

Oh & P.S CZ if you do know where my mother & father live you're welcome to take a pop at them both as un-armed they both know Judo and if at home my Ex Kings Own Royal Sgt Dad is armed to the teeth and enjoys pulling the trigger, he did it for a living at one point as did my Uncle, who now owns his own 'Security Firm' They're all licensed too so feel free to have a go.

As for unlicensed attire that I get a kick out of...bolts & arrows flowing through heads and if (IF) they fail me then I'm sure I can handle myself, if I'm over powered out comes my betrothed, antique, two pop, Dillinger! Easily hidden in a variety of places upon oneself...trust me on that. The 38 is never too far away from my person either so if it's SHTF scenario...

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Yeah and less guns means we have less gun related deaths, who knew? Survival eh? Surviving what exactly please do tell.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DPrice

the gun thing,, Personal protection from those that have no problem steeling my stuff of or hurting my family..as criminals dont care about gun laws or life. and as for Prepping.. Do you not watch the news?

Hurricane Katrina
Hurricane Sandy
Droughts that destroy crops and empty food reserves
Tornadoes that can wipe out a city or town in minutes
Forest fires that can destroy an entire states crops, forest and township

All these have happened recently in the US alone..and Sandy was another perfect example
of how the government is NOT capable of dealing with large scale disasters..
Apparently you live in a bubble

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

We don't have hurricanes in the UK

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DPrice

Try telling the people of London caught up in the Riots that being prepared is "nonsense".

There were also millions of people who lived through the Blitz who would have disagreed with you. Why do you think so many older people kept their money in their mattress and owned allotments to grow veggies? These were not just crazy old people, these were people who have more experience than everyone since, and they know that people should be prepared.

Something that always intrigues me is how people think a state would do against a massive population of people out of control. The riots in the UK last year should have been a wakeup call. That was just a few thousand kids, and they managed to do a whole lot of damage, and successfully fight the police all over the country for three DAYS.

How do we all think the police would do if that number rose to half a million people? Shops and banks were already closing early and affecting trading hours just over those days. Some shops closed on the first night and didn't open again until days after they were sure it had ended. Imagine that on a larger scale, for weeks rather than days.

Social stability is precarious as it is, and in economic struggles that is heightened even more.

As for the show, I watched a few of the US ones and they were a little ridiculous. I saw one where a guy had a little platform up a tree and a plan to meet his wife (and her sister!?) there if the SHTF. But it was all a little OTT and almost deliberately intended to make people think that anyone who prepares for anything is a loon.

I hope us Brits give the subject a little more class and a little less fake drama. I'll be checking it out

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by imnothereru

I was thinking along the same lines myself. Either type of slingshot (rubber band or cordage and pouch type), walking stick, bat, lead pipe, crowbar, knives are all easily accessible in the UK. With a little knowledge mousetraps, string, marbles, sharpened sticks and heavy weights can also be utilized to deter intruders.

Even if you have no dog a good recording of a big dog barking might dissuade attackers. Use psychology against them, nobody wants to get themselves hurt going after what you might have so thinking along those lines may be productive.

It's the urban dwellers who will encounter the most trouble and I will be very interested to see what techniques and tactics they will applying.

Last but not least is the old strength in numbers, neighbors and networking may be your best defense after all.

Eta: One last thing I'll mention is that I have walkie talkies - a set to communicate inside the house and another that a friend down the road shares with me. The ability to alert others is something often forgotten.
edit on 25-11-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Mate about 5 people died in the riots, they weren't breaking into homes on mass it was just about stealing free stuff from shops. We just aren't that active as a country for millions to go on the rampage, not if there's football on anyway.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Ive been watching some of the shows,. and yeah, some are a bit disconnected.
In my opinion one would get better ideas form Les on survivorman.. His one video where
he build a place in the woods and put up Solar, Wind energy was the better of the ideas.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join