It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Contest with prize by me.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
So I wanted to do something. I don't know if it is allowed. If it is against the T&C, then I guess it is a bust and a Mod will let us know.

SO, the contest is to provide 1 original concept. It can have parts of it be linked to others, but the core idea has to be new. The subject is philosophy.

If you can make 1 new philosophical concept that no one has come up with in recorded history you win. What do you win you ask?

Well it may seem lame, but if you value it, I will go through your profile and star EVERY ONE of your posts. You can essentially boost your ATS stars. Well, if you have 800 posts on your profile, you will get 800, if you have less because you have not posted that much yet, you will get that many more.

This contest will depend on some rival contestant double checking since I cannot possibly know every single philosophical concept ever. If you see one I am declaring a winner then call it out or that member will get the prize. You may get a star for your post......

Why you ask? Because I want to show people how hard it actually is. That almost everything has already been thought of and that when you do have an original Idea, you should share it since it may never be heard of again.

You may begin putting your thinking caps on and trying to beat the challenge.

P.S.
If the stars are not really your thing then just play along. Let me know if you win not to give you 800 stars you do not want though. That would be a major waste of time if you don't even care for them. We can work something else out.

To those that say this makes stars useless I say that one truly original post is worth 800 stars or more. It is few and far between that we do see one. I think it should be rewarded.

Game on.

EDIT:
all entries will be assessed in a order of post. So the first guy gets dibbs on the prize until his idea is proven to not be original, and then onto the next. That is why I say we have to all chip in or I may screw someone over who was next in line of posting.

any grey areas/ stale mates, will be voted on by all participants for a tie breaker.
edit on 21-11-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

I know (next to nothing) about philosophy; so I won't be entering your contest.

I do have an interest in what people will contribute; so I will be reading this thread; in the hope that when I am through; I will have learned something about philosophy.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I put forth this: When a parent dies, his or her consciousness is transfered into thier child. This is to be applied to all life. I believe that this is the source of the universal drive to breed. Because DNA is thought to act as an antenna, I suppose that of the offspring would naturaly absorb and embrace the escaping energy of its compatible source.

If no offspring, them the consciousness maybe released into an astral realm, or perhaps diverted into the next available vessel.

I never read this, always thought it was my own theory. Probably wrong, but worth a shot.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012

looks good so far, but I am going to see if I can find something similar. I will check back in mañana, and if it is truly original, you win. If it is not I will have to go to the next post. So far, looks good though.

You may get 456+ stars by tomorrow.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Are you looking for something ontological or human condition or... what criteria are you looking for? And... what will be done with the ideas presented?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

nothing will be done with the ideas except be shared here with us. I will not publish them. I will not take them as my own. I am simply trying to prove a point: It is hard to be original.

As far as criteria, the sky is the limit. I think it is hard enough without putting limits on it.

Anything goes.

If it is a NEW philosophical concept, you win.

EDIT:
all entries will be assessed in a order of post. So the first guy gets dibbs on the prize until his idea is proven to not be original, and then onto the next. That is why I say we have to all chip in or I may screw someone over who was next in line of posting.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Well it may seem lame, but if you value it, I will go through your profile and star EVERY ONE of your posts. You can essentially boost your ATS stars. Well, if you have 800 posts on your profile, you will get 800, if you have less because you have not posted that much yet, you will get that many more.

I have around 10,000 posts. You better hope myself or Slayer69 (20,000+) doesn't win...

edit on 21-11-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I don't know how this will fit in with your contest but I think I'm on to something and this is as good as any place to see.

I think your name, whatever it is you are called by mostly in life, helps shape who you are. For example the name Paul. Do you know more than one person who goes by Paul or Sam or Jennifer?
Do you notice a similarity between those two people with the same name?
Maybe attitude or mannerisms that they both share?
I'm not saying they will act exactly alike but I've noticed certain mannerisms that people with the same name may share and this has made me wonder if it's the vibration of the name or just the audible pronunciation of that word continuously has an effect on them through out their life...or am I just crazy?

What'cha think ATS?

P.S. I'm not interested in a prize but I thank you for giving me the opportunity to see what others think of my, uh, philosophy? This 'idea' may also be out there in the land of the internet, I have never pursued it before to see.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

yeah, I will do the 800 in your profile. I thought about it and almost threw the whole thing out the window. Some people would take me forever. It is a good thing that only the last 800 are shown...lol

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
In the infinite universe model life outside of this planet is not just highly likely but inevitable hence the IUM argument is often seen as defeating the intelligent design model. If however the universe is indeed infinite then everything that can be concieved of, and more must exist within it icluding the intelligent designer

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Drunk man who walks on wobbly stones, falls over.

link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

great idea but.....

www.positivearticles.com...

good try. I hadn't considered that. My name is really weird. Explains allot.

link   

Originally posted by Aqualung2012
I put forth this: When a parent dies, his or her consciousness is transfered into thier child. This is to be applied to all life. I believe that this is the source of the universal drive to breed. Because DNA is thought to act as an antenna, I suppose that of the offspring would naturaly absorb and embrace the escaping energy of its compatible source.

If no offspring, them the consciousness maybe released into an astral realm, or perhaps diverted into the next available vessel.

I never read this, always thought it was my own theory. Probably wrong, but worth a shot.

This doesn't work, since generations live together for relatively large portions of their life. ie. Great grandfather, grandfather, father, son all alive at once.

There would be a discernible change in people if this was the case, especially if they all died around the same time.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

maybe, but is it ORIGINAL?...that is the question. Has anyone ever considered absorbing a parents energy /soul?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Here is one. We are essentially infants from the moment we are born to the moment of death. We try and mask it with elaborate words and ideas, but the exact same habits, attributes and personality quirks that plague us in the developmental years, continue throughout our lives until our feeble years descending on senility. (Which brings us back the stage we started.)

You often hear, "People are acting like they are in highschool" because it's true. The world tries to instil some sense of maturity, or realness to our actions over a certain age, but as you age, you realize those wrinkly faces are no different than the ones who tried to steal your apple juice 50 some odd years earlier.

The real epiphanies people have in middle life, is the one where they realize they spent a lifetime trying to run and hide from what they actually are. Realizing that everything they did to convince themselves they grew up was pointless, as all the actions were superficial.

I call it the baby-paradign.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Maybe nothing is original but that fine because the article you linked and the stars to my original post shows me that I'm not the only one who see's it.

Life is truly fascinating.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

I can personally attest that sharing a name is no more tied to common behavior than is sharing eye color.

Granted, odds are good that a dozen people called "snake" will probably show a majority having criminal records... However, this is a well established psychological and sociological point.

I would chalk any noteable similarities in those sharing a name to geological and/or sociological conditioning. No doubting the *possibility,* of such synchronicities, only the probability, in light if personal experience and the greater influencing factors, mentioned above...

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz
reply to post by boncho

maybe, but is it ORIGINAL?...that is the question. Has anyone ever considered absorbing a parents energy /soul?

No, it's not original. Its very similar to many superstitions and beliefs centred around different kinds of Buddhism. For instance, In specific Vietnamese culture, if you have an abortion that life is binded to you until you die, and you will experience all the hardships or positive things it would have in its life.

Also, another example would be "Karmic Inheritance"

elizabethspring.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

well that seems to be unique sure enough. If the first idea is shown to not be original, you may take it.

So far we have two possible takers with one in line to win.

EDIT:
reply to post by boncho

AH, well I guess your idea is first in line now.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Sounds kind of similar to genetic memories and also to many Asian cultures that have 'spiritual connections' to their ancestors. Not exact but similar.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join