It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC gone too far? Halloween disrespectful to Witches!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
It IS starting to feel like we can't laugh or joke about anything. Pretty sad.

Some school rules are so lame. Children can't even play cowboys and indians at school anymore because it might offend someone.

I think if my child was attending this school in Washington I would conspire with the other parents and send my child to school in a costume.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
whats more ridiculous is the kids cant even bring a toy plastic knife on halloween. i guess the adults are scared that the kids will get scared by the other kids who want to scare them on halloween. god help us if a kid gets scared on hallofrekinween!

i think on halloween i am going to go to school dressed up as a jihadist with a bomb strapped to my vest (fake of course) 500 blank rounds of ammunition for my AK step into the quad during second period, and let a rip into the sky as warning shots, beckon all adults to bow before me, and command the kids to leave school and go tricker treating early. oh man i would love to see the look on those teachers faces!

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Alllllllrighty. Many Wiccans I know claim to be "open minded"....yet if any flames come hurling at their door, look who gets a little flustered?

Political correctness is a sticky issue. There's a difference between being outspoken and voicing personal opinions versus just being an arrogant, ignorant, obnoxious jerk.

Courtesy is one thing, insincerity and giving up your power of the first ammendment is another.

It's been around for ages, nobody's "attacking" the Wiccans or trying to lay a "bad image" upon them. Walgreens is trying to make $3.75 off of your purchase of a paper wall decoration.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArtStarr
Alllllllrighty. Many Wiccans I know claim to be "open minded"....yet if any flames come hurling at their door, look who gets a little flustered?

I don't think any Wiccans are "hurling anything here..

Political correctness is a sticky issue. There's a difference between being outspoken and voicing personal opinions versus just being an arrogant, ignorant, obnoxious jerk.

This is not political correctness, nothing tricky here at all...it's idiocy, no Witch would take offense

It's been around for ages, nobody's "attacking" the Wiccans or trying to lay a "bad image" upon them. Walgreens is trying to make $3.75 off of your purchase of a paper wall decoration.

No one is saying we are being attacked...we are simply stating the idiocy of it.....hmmmm, lets see now, Samhain is our new year. It's one of our major Sabbats, we celebrate to honor the dead on this night..why would any of us have a problem with it? I suspect that perhaps, just perhaps, this is an excuse to not celebrate a "Witches" High Sabbat day"
There's just no way a Witch/Wiccan would object to it's celeration. If he is that concerned that we may be offended, I would think that he would of done enough research to figure, we wouldn't.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

Originally posted by ArtStarr

I don't think any Wiccans are "hurling anything here..

This is not political correctness, nothing tricky here at all...it's idiocy, no Witch would take offense

No one is saying we are being attacked...we are simply stating the idiocy of it.....hmmmm, lets see now, Samhain is our new year. It's one of our major Sabbats, we celebrate to honor the dead on this night..why would any of us have a problem with it? I suspect that perhaps, just perhaps, this is an excuse to not celebrate a "Witches" High Sabbat day"
There's just no way a Witch/Wiccan would object to it's celeration. If he is that concerned that we may be offended, I would think that he would of done enough research to figure, we wouldn't.

Lady V-

my original metaphor was simply a joke- the common way most people act. plus i was poking at some of my wiccan friends who are only into it for the fame. no rudeness meant, sorry if it came out wrong.

but i really do believe political correctness is a sticky issue. If we had no political correctness, then there would just be a bunch of ignorant fools running around bashing everyone who isnt exactly like them. but when political correctness oversteps the boundaires of courtesy and into the realm of restricting other's because it could possibly offend someone else...thats where it gets sticky. many differ on where the line needs to be drawn.

i dont know why i put quotations around attacked and bad image, i guess its just one of thsoe things i do to accent words. It wasnt meant in a sense of actually quoting someone. sorry for the confusion

but here's someone who really did get offended, form later in the article...

An internal e-mail from October 2000 warned that "the Wiccan religion is a bona fide religion under the law, and its followers are entitled to all the protections afforded more mainstream religions. Building administrators should not tolerate such inappropriate stereotyping (images such as Witches on flying brooms, stirring cauldrons, casting spells, or with long noses and pointed hats) and instead address them as you would hurtful stereotypes of any other minority."
(its on the second page.)

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Artsarr...no problem...it's difficult on a BB as you can not see ones facial expression nor hear voice inflecyion....I'm usually always in a problem becasue someone takes what I wrote wrong...

I have NO idea what any Witch would get upset about the school celebrating our Sabbat
, well...maybe the big nosed Witches...LOL

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   

If we had no political correctness, then there would just be a bunch of ignorant fools running around bashing everyone who isnt exactly like them.

courtesy is a sign of respect, and intelligence. being pollitically incorect would mean you lack either of these things. to go out in the mall and start cursing your lungs out is a sign of disrespect for those around you. that is just dumb. now if there is someone who has not earned an ounce of respect from you then you should hold no boundries as to your manner of conduct with this person, for they are ignorant!

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I love Halloween/Samhain , and yes I am a Witch . Its the best of the Wiccan holidays days. This year will be the best for it will last 25 hours thanks to day light saving. I feel this years Samhain is special.

Byrd you are right we should get together. People need to know we are not satan worshipers. I think the first thing they need to know is in order to worship Satan. You have to believe he/she ? exist.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hecate100
*Sigh* Some people are waaaay too sensitive. I'm a Witch, and Halloween/Samhain is my favorite holiday (Yule being second). The image of the Crone is quite appropriate to the holiday, as are those of ghosts & undead, and the traditional "green face" of the witches merely shows their connection to the Faery faith. In fact, I collect Halloween witch stuff and decorate with it all year round! I really don't see what there is to get all worked up about if you're a pagan or a witch.

I'm also pagan and I think you are 100% correct. This IS the time of year for the Crone. It is the dying of the fields/cultivation. All Hallows Eve is definately appropriate...Fuc these wanna be "witches" who think Halloween is somehow wrong. Hell, I'm even American Indian (in part) and I still celebrate Columbus Day...is that wrong?

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
... Wow. That's just silly.

'Course, for equality, if everything else is going to be PC, this oughta be too.

Political Correctness... it's the bane of free speech.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
... Wow. That's just silly.

'Course, for equality, if everything else is going to be PC, this oughta be too.

Political Correctness... it's the bane of free speech.

So true, so true...

Hell, I'm also gay and I will speak my mind out about gay people and most of thier behavior....PC can suck my (insert your favorite line here).... hehe

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Good Morning (or Good-whenever to everyone else)

First, I don't know how many Witches were already in public on this board, but I am so glad to meet each of you. While I have, in other threads, only mention that I am of another faith, not until now have I let loose that I am a Witch. Merry Meet.

Second, I ponder the true intentions of this decision by the school. Is this truely about PC and the desire to not offend Wiccans (even tho no Wiccans have, at least publicaly , announced being so. I also can not fathom any Wiccans DOING such). Or is this a subversive path to simply getting rid of a Pagan holiday in the school? which, in essence, is anti-PC in of itself.

Being either case, should somethig be brought forth to that school from the Wiccan community? If so, what should it's agenda be?

If this is in fact of PC, then there is no viable alternative than for Easter come next year to also be abandoned in the school, as the school should (by the same motives of not offended Wiccans on Halloween) be dumped by means of offending the Christian community due to Jesus being replaced by the Easter BUnny. (PLEASE do not let that thought sway this thread to anti Xtianity, not my premis).

Misfit

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Frankly, I'm suprised the whole situation has gotten as far as it has. I concur with most of the comments on this thread, that in NO manner have Witches/Pagans/Wiccans felt offended by the celebration and honoring of one of its' High Sabbat Days. I remember just a few years back, when it raised a royal stink,(myself, among many,) over a town(can't remember where, but here in the US,) whose practice of reenacting "witch hangings,"
on or near our High Sabbat. I'm not offended by the PC of a school, trying to respect our tender feelings, but I cannot express the deep, personal anger or resentment toward anyone reenacting one of the most dark, ignorant and quite frankly disgusting times in our country's history, with the intent of showing how "okay" it was. It was NEVER okay! Never again the burning times!!! Of course the whole mess was cancelled, Thank Ye Gods! I have to agree, that stopping the celebration of Samhain altogether is a bit too drastic, but the outright perversion of our faith, is INTOLERABLE!

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Yeah, I used to be a Wiccan a few years back and I did indeed consider myself a witch. Halloween didn't annoy me nor did things like children dressing up as witches. I rather enjoyed trick or treating!

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Just responging to the thread title...

Of course this is PC overkill. Considering that witches don't even exist, save for it be in the self-proclaimed witches own mind, there is no reason to protect their sensibilities.

I would invite any witch to go ahead and curse me if they felt offended by my lack of concern for their lifestyle or beliefs. Then what would they do? They would only remember that they cannot, in fact, cast spells, throw curses, lay hexes, make me trip and fall with an incantation, and then they would have to shut up.

As for a wiccan, well, if they were what they professed to be, they wouldn't be listening to anyone's criticism, much less be offended by it.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   

So, should we stop all the school plays that center around Christmas and Easter to be PC the the non-christian religons? This is BS!

Ever see the South Park episode where they did this? That play sucked!
"Happy, happy, happy...."

"If she weighs as much as a duck...."

A WITCH! A WITCH!

Stewie: "Damn you and your foul womb!"

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos

Of course this is PC overkill. Considering that witches don't even exist, save for it be in the self-proclaimed witches own mind, there is no reason to protect their sensibilities.

I would invite any witch to go ahead and curse me if they felt offended by my lack of concern for their lifestyle or beliefs. Then what would they do? They would only remember that they cannot, in fact, cast spells, throw curses, lay hexes, make me trip and fall with an incantation, and then they would have to shut up.

As for a wiccan, well, if they were what they professed to be, they wouldn't be listening to anyone's criticism, much less be offended by it.

See, Witches respect the right of others to have their own opinions. It's no reason to cast a curse or hex on someone just because they don't believe as we do. If we cast upon every person who questioned our abilities, we wouldn't have time to do anything else! We know who we are and have proved what we do to be valid to ourselves, our friends, our families, and those who cross us in far more serious ways than merely speaking their minds. Beyond that, we have no need of further verification.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Not only did you contridict yourself by saying just respinding to the thread, then saying Witches dont exist - the act of doing just that was ONLY a means to antagonize the Witches you say don't esist. Why did you even bother posting that? Me responding to your claim of your is not winning antagonizm, I'm just denying your ignorance.

they wouldn't be listening to anyone's criticism, much less be offended by it.

If you read the thread before you posted this, you would see that every Witch in this thread has stated they are not only NOT offended by ANY of this but that Halloween is our Holiday - how could we be offended by the entire NATION celebrating our day? You would also have read that the Wiccans stated the actions of the school are idiotic.

By the way, Witch and Wiccan, which you have seperated as two entities here - are the same. A Wiccan IS a Witch.

Misfit

[Edit = deleted one of double sentence]

[edit on 22-10-2004 by Misfit]

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit
By the way, Witch and Wiccan, which you have seperated as two entities here - are the same. A Wiccan IS a Witch.

Not necessarily. All Wiccans are Witches, but not all Witches are Wiccan. Wicca is a religion, but Witchcraft is a what it says -- a craft.

I for one am not Wiccan.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hecate100

Not necessarily. All Wiccans are Witches, but not all Witches are Wiccan. Wicca is a religion, but Witchcraft is a what it says -- a craft.

I for one am not Wiccan.

I've not had all my coffe yet.
Turn me and my sentence around and brew me some more, lol.

Thanx for the catch Hecate.

There goes Misfit, wrong way on a one way street !!!

Misfit

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join