It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Old is Earth? 6,000 Yrs or 6 Billion Yrs...Or?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Time dilation absolutely affects everything in the universe all the time. It's just a matter of how much. And we can't even tell how much. How fast is the earth traveling right now compared to the singularity starting point of the universe? We don't know! Space and time are expanding together as a result of the big bang.

You can't say, from the surface of the earth the universe is 13.370 Billion years old, because EVERYTHING is relative. The age comes from estimating the mass of the universe and using equations to wind everything backwards to the singularity. It has nothing to do with measuring " from the earth's surface ".

Everything. Is. Relative.

Assume that after the Big Bang two particles were created. One was speeding near c, and the other was going slower. According to the first particle, not much time has passed since the Big Bang. According to the second particle, a few billion years have passed......what's wrong with this statement?

A2D

edit to add: remember frame of references...the Genesis account is given from a frame of reference OTHER THAN on Earth...so it's an outside frame of reference peering in at Earth....Time dilation DOES have an affect...
edit on 24-11-2012 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

It is true that Time is Relative. Still this cannot account for the vast disparity of Time between 6000 Years and over 4 Billion Years.

The Reality is that the Earth cannot be 6000 Years old. This amount of time is not sufficient enough for even OIL to come into existence. Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

It doesn't take long to create oil given the right pressure and temperature...and although Earth generally takes its sweet time doing so because the inconsistencies of subterranean heat and pressure....we have no idea if that has always been the case...In fact, the conditions for oil being made inside the Earth are very similar to the same conditions being used to create oil in a plant...

Thermal depolymerization

A2D

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

The only thing we can assume, is that it has been about 7,000 years from when Adam was banished from the garden.
He was immortal before he sinned and could of been billions of years old, the earth could of been just as full of life as it is now (with better technology).
In fact it would explain a lot of what is missing.
He would not count his age until he was told that he would die. Would you count/care how old you are if you could never die?
Remember God said that after sin there is only death, and I believe he had an Angel guard the tree of life after God kicked Adam out.

Adam was made a perfect human, full grown and with knowledge, do people think he named every animal, had sex/kids, and was dumb enough to disobey God all in one day?
As you said

Sometimes we as Christians should look at what the bible does not say as well as what it does.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
This quote..

(2 Peter 3:8- But you must not forget this one thing, dear friends: A day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day.)

is NOT a cipher or a guideline because you combine it with "the earth was made in 7 days" I dont know why everyone takes it as that.. when they say something was "like fire" in the bible do you assume whatever it is is automatically on fire too?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by GunzCoty
reply to post by Quadrivium

The only thing we can assume, is that it has been about 7,000 years from when Adam was banished from the garden.
He was immortal before he sinned and could of been billions of years old, the earth could of been just as full of life as it is now (with better technology).
In fact it would explain a lot of what is missing.
He would not count his age until he was told that he would die. Would you count/care how old you are if you could never die?
Remember God said that after sin there is only death, and I believe he had an Angel guard the tree of life after God kicked Adam out.

Adam was made a perfect human, full grown and with knowledge, do people think he named every animal, had sex/kids, and was dumb enough to disobey God all in one day?
As you said

Sometimes we as Christians should look at what the bible does not say as well as what it does.

This is the point I was making. We do not know how long Adam spent in the garden.
Gen. chapter one tells us about Creation, God rested on the seventh day.
Chapter two goes on to tell the story of Adam. I believe Adam was made and set aside in Eden, an eternal paradise.
On the sixth day God created man, male and female, and told them to "Go forth and multiply". These, I believe, were the Neanderthals. Later, when Adam and Eve got kicked out of Eden they began having children.
I believe this is when "The sons of God looked on the daughters of men and found they were beautiful and took them for wives".
I see many things in the Bible that make perfect sense to me but are frowned upon by other Christians.
Many say that chapter two is just an extension of chapter one but I do not know how this is possible.
In chapter one man was the last thing to be made.
In chapter two, Adam is put in the garden and the Lord brought forth (Created) each kind of animal to find him a "help meet".
Quad

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Petroleum is derived from Carbon Based Lifeforms the majority of being Plant Life that had decayed and buried by eons of Dust and then by pressure and time was changed to Shale, Coal and then Liquid Oil. This process take Millions of Years to occur Naturally.

There are thousands of Proofs that show that the Earth is Ancient in the Extreme. All one has to do is look at a Globe. Look at South America and Africa. These two Land Masses we once connected and even today we see how they are two pieces of a puzzle as they fit together quite well.

Tectonic Plate Drift over Multiple Millions of years caused the great distance that separates the two.

It is RIDICULOUS for anyone to think that the Earth is only 6000 years old. Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

It is obvious the continents were once joined together just as you say; the book of Genesis states this clearly. The book of Genesis also states a great catastrophe (the Flood) caused the breaking up of the continents. So, it does not necessarily take millions of years. Even using the current rate of drift (which can only be interpreted in the light of present day) millions of years would not be necessary.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by totallackey

Could you give me the bible quotes that say the continents where one and that the flood broke them up? I don't remember that. Unfortunately science paints a much different picture.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Barcs

Genesis 1:9
“And God said, ‘Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.’

well by the sounds of this. if all the water was gathered in one place, wouldn't that make all the land be in one place?

Genesis 10:25
25 To Eber were born two sons: the name of the one was Peleg, for in his days the earth was divided, and his brother’s name was Joktan.

sounds like the earth was "divided"

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by totallackey

The FLOOD as written in the Bible appears to be based on fact. At one time there was an area of Land that separated the Med. Sea from the Black Sea. This area of land was torn apart by Tectonic Plate Movement and the water from the Med. and Black Seas rushed in and flooded this area.

This area is where the Biblical Tale of Noah supposedly took place. The Flood was localized to this area and it is easy to see how Ancient Man would view such a Massive Flood and think it was World Wide...it was not.

The story of Noah if taken as a person with a ship that took on two of every animal to repopulate the World...is silly as it is impossible for only one male and one female of each species to have enough Genetic Diversity to be able to breed and renew the species.

It is also Impossible for any ship to have been large enough to hold all the various species on Earth as well as Impossible for Noah and his people to have collected all these species. It is a nice story but that is all it is...a story. Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I almost forgot you were there..

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
its also impossible for an amoeba to magically split into millions of species then decide which ones they want to be, which ones they want to leave behind and grow out of. make sure they split just enough of each species, to make sure they have the right amount of mates to let that species thrive. and if it was all from the same things that were here "first" wouldn't they all be pretty similar? why so diverse? a few would be plenty. all you need is some herbivores that multiply rapidly "such as rabbits" and a carnivore "such as a wolf" and im pretty sure that cycle would take care of itself. throw some different bugs in if you want. why would thought and emotions come from some crazy planet explosion?

“If the solar system was brought about by an accidental collision, then the appearance of organic life on this planet was also an accident, and the whole evolution of Man was an accident too. If so, then all our present thoughts are mere accidents--the
accidental by-product of the movement of atoms. And this holds for the thoughts of the materialists and astronomers as well as for anyone else's. But if their thoughts--i.e. of materialism and astronomy--are merely accidental by-products, why should we believe them to be true? I see no reason for believing that one accident should be able to give me a correct account of all the other accidents. It's like expecting that the accidental shape taken by the splash when you upset a milkjug should give you a correct account of how the jug was made and why it was upset.” - C.s. lewis

so where does that leave us split infinity?
edit on 27-11-2012 by MikeHawke because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

You do not really understand Time Dilation because if you did...you would understand that the passage of Time on Earth now as apposed to the passage of Time on Earth 10,000 Years ago is Relative only to the outside observer.

Thus Time passing is constant as far as the Radioactive Decay of certain Isotopes NOW as it was anytime in the past. When I state that the Earth is so many Billions of years old it means that the Earth revolved around the Sun that many Billion Times.

There is ZERO POSSIBILITY that the Earth is 6000 Years Old. Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Barcs

Genesis 1:9 states: And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

Ipso facto - if the waters were in one place, the land must be in one place also.

I see where another member responded to the lands being divided.

I was not there, so I do not know for sure what happened. Neither does anyone else. Nothing can be reproduced in this case, so it is moot to argue.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I do not believe the ship was too small, and I also do not believe anything is impossible.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

There is ZERO POSSIBILITY that the Earth is 6000 Years Old. Split Infinity

nobody claims it is exactly that. im a christian and i dont believe that its approximately 6000 years old. so how can you say "Christians think this", while im standing here telling you we all dont.. only people that want to use a bible sentence like "a day is LIKE a thousand years" then plug it in as a variable in an equation and using it as fact.. sorry thats not fact, that's opinion (in whatever religion you may be) using empty points to make the other side of the argument seem more valid by basing it off no fact whatsoever, is never a good idea. it makes you out to be like the godly people that claim this as fact in the first place. ur doing the same thing.. using opinions as facts in your own argument.

and this statement

Thus Time passing is constant as far as the Radioactive Decay of certain Isotopes NOW as it was anytime in the past. When I state that the Earth is so many Billions of years old it means that the Earth revolved around the Sun that many Billion Times.

needs some evidence behind it. can you prove this? what if I said "i think its only its 10 million" how would you prove me wrong and you right? i think no one is ever going to know the answer.. cause this quote

"It's like expecting that the accidental shape taken by the splash when you upset a milkjug should give you a correct account of how the jug was made and why it was upset"

makes a whole lot of sense. you and i both know it..

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by totallackey
reply to post by Barcs

Genesis 1:9 states: And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

Ipso facto - if the waters were in one place, the land must be in one place also.

I see where another member responded to the lands being divided.

I was not there, so I do not know for sure what happened. Neither does anyone else. Nothing can be reproduced in this case, so it is moot to argue.

That's extremely subjective and using an extremely loose inference to determine this. It also says nothing about continents. Nothing about them moving, nothing about a disaster that moves them. There's no evidence for a great flood so I'll go with that. Lands being divided? You mean like a fault line? Science explains it all. The bible is just a guess from thousands of years ago.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I believe in enlightenment. As I'm not worthy of calling my self a Christian yet. But I do believe in the creation history of our bible. As for the length of the days being literal 24 hour periods, I'm not sure. But if your able to create a world time is meaningless. Also I have never found a fossil myself. But I'm sure they exist. The only thing is the method of dating such is skewed in order to make it sound possible for man to evolve. No one has seen anything evolve. And their is simple no evidence of such a thing, only the word of those who claim so. Man is unique on earth and nothing else has our potential. Survival of the fittest? Not so, why are we destroying our world, and killing one another, that's greed, not progress. Look at where we are now. We were better off 50+ years ago, we are going down hill. Not getting better. I'm just stating my opinion, not debating anyone on this matter. You can make data appear anyway you wish, (the case of dating bones, etc) look at the state of the nation, were told it's all good, or we are getting better. But we all know were circling the drain. But the experts tell us we have just came out of a recession. haha good one.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Barcs

That's extremely subjective and using an extremely loose inference to determine this. It also says nothing about continents. Nothing about them moving, nothing about a disaster that moves them. There's no evidence for a great flood so I'll go with that. Lands being divided? You mean like a fault line? Science explains it all. The bible is just a guess from thousands of years ago.

sorry God didnt want to go into detail about creation just for you to understand it. It wasn't made to be understood by man 100%. If it was. it would be denying the same power that made it all. its above human concept. You might as well expect dogs to know all about humans and our daily life.

“If you are a Christian you do not have to believe that all the other religions are simply wrong all through. If you are an atheist you do have to believe that the main point in all the religions of the whole world is simply one huge mistake.”
― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

“And above all, you must be asking which door is the true one; not which pleases you best by its paint and paneling…the question should never be: ‘Do I like that kind of service?’ but ‘Are these doctrines true: Is holiness there? Does my conscience move me towards this? Is my reluctance to move to this door due to my pride, or my mere taste, or my personal dislike for this particular door-keeper?”
― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.” ― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

The devil laughs. He is perfectly content to see you becoming chaste and brave and self-controlled provided, all the time, he is setting up in you the Dictatorship of Pride—just as he would be quite content to see your chilblains cured if he was allowed, in return, to give you cancer. For Pride is spiritual cancer: it eats up the very possibility of love, or contentment, or even common sense. ― C.S. Lewis,

For, of course, power is what Pride really enjoys: there is nothing makes a man feel so superior to others as being able to move them about like toy soldiers. What makes a pretty girl spread misery wherever she goes by collecting admirers? Certainly not her sexual instinct: that kind of girl is quite often sexually frigid. It is Pride. What is it that makes a political leader or a whole nation go on and on, demanding more and more? Pride again. Pride is competitive by its very nature: that is why it goes on and on.― C.S. Lewis

One reason why many people find Creative Evolution so attractive is that it gives one much of the emotional comfort of believing in God and none of the less pleasant consequences. When you are feeling fit and the sun is shining and you do not want to believe that the whole universe is a mere mechanical dance of atoms, it is nice to be able to think of this great mysterious Force rolling on through the centuries and carrying you on its crest. If, on the other hand, you want to do something rather shabby, the Life-Force, being only a blind force, with no morals and no mind, will never interfere― C.S. Lewis

What Satan put into the heads of our remote ancestors was the idea that they could ‘be like gods’—could set up on their own as if they had created themselves—be their own masters—invent some sort of happiness for themselves outside God, apart from God. And out of that hopeless attempt has come nearly all that we call human history—money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery—the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join