It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Rogue planet' spotted 100 light-years away

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Aren't their intergalactic black holes??

Maybe every once in a while a black hole zooms close enough to a star system and causes a planet or few to go rogue and wander the galaxy aimlessly

Although getting our solar system fatally churned up by a wandering hypervelocity black hole is in the realms of possibility I wouldn't worry about it. We wouldn't know it was coming until it happened and there would be nothing we could do about it anyways. No point worrying about something like that.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by supertrot
reply to post by new_here

Also, if an object is traveling directly at us at the speed of light, we would never see it coming. The object would be traveling at the same speed as the visible light coming towards us.

Cool. Wait... the light of its yesteryear (from its past) would obscure its approach, I think is what you're saying?

At some point during its approach, wouldn't it get noticeably bigger in diameter than its 'old light' and start to show around the edges? Or wouldn't we start to see it thru the light before it bonked us on the head?

God this is confusing!!!

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Cool.

Also congratulations on being able to differentiate between 'rogue' and 'rouge'. That seems to put you in a minority on here!

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by RiverRunsFree

Nah, everyone just ignored your post.

Shame really because it fell right in line with the 'crazy' hippie.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by zilebeliveunknown

Originally posted by unityemissions
Aren't their intergalactic black holes??

Maybe every once in a while a black hole zooms close enough to a star system and causes a planet or few to go rogue and wander the galaxy aimlessly

Or maybe advance civilization that inhabitate a planet purposely ejected it on their journey through cosmos.
Yeah I know it's farfetched but couldn't helped it.

Your post reminded me of Larry Niven and Pierson's Puppeteer.

They bought a drive from the Outsiders capable of moving the Puppeteer worlds through space at near light speed, rather than risk hyperspace. The five worlds are heading towards the Lesser Magellanic Cloud some 200,000 light years away. Artificial suns keep the four farming worlds' biospheres alive

Larry Niven

Cool stuff.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0mage

Originally posted by andy06shake
100 light years away means even if it coming this way at the speed of light(Which is also impossible) it wont get here untill 2112. LoL So no nibiru planet IMHO.
edit on 14-11-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

but then it's current position as we're seeing it.. is 100 years ago.. it could be exponentially closer.. LOL

if it's heading in our direction that is.

Well thats perspective for you. Its all fun and games until someone loses a planet. LoL

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
It's rogue... name it planet Palin and then say it's a sign from God that the GOP will win the next election cycle. Dear God I need to stop thinking in political terms....

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Hmm.

So we can see a planet 100 light years away, and yet the idiots who try and fob off "second sun" stories want people to believe we're incapble of seeing a brown dwarf star in our own solar system unless you are in Antarctica.

Says it all really...

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

nice and it will make it hear riight on time LOLOL

Wow do you hear this bologna scientist must be really full of themselves nowadays because I'm prety sure they cant estimate its age let alone its origins something that far away, yet we have no current pictures or quality rovers on the dark side of our moon or our deepest ocean floors

Just keep up with the pointless lies and bs assumptions.

Science is suppose to be things we can observe and experiment and all that jazz but they can't do either properly!

oh and thats real convient to make a certain discovery "rogue planet" of course they gotta drop the subiminals with dec 21 2012 coming up wow they make me

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by RiverRunsFree

I posted this news earlier in a different thread - www.abovetopsecret.com...

Reason for mentioning this was because the thread I posted in was based on a guys prediction Niburu would be spotted on the 14th November. Not a bad prediction considering this is a wondering planet spotted on the 14th November.

Just saying

props I remember that wow crazy right on the spot, add in typical conspiracy and tptb agenda and i think we can say that its official the end of the world as we know it will end or start to end on dec 21 2012

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

Originally posted by DJW001

So if there's more like it, does that mean they could one day collide with the earth?

If current theories of solar system formation are correct, there may be many proto-planets that have been ejected out of forming systems. As for the danger of one of these rogue planets colliding with Earth, Sir James Jeans put the issue into perspective over 100 years ago:

'Put three grains of sand inside a vast cathedral and the cathedral will be more closely packed with sand than space is with stars.'

www.quotegasm.com...

Question is though, how many more "grains of sand" have we yet to find and more importantly, how close to earth are they?

well earth has been around for 4 billion years give or take ..so i wouldn't worry about a rouge planet scenario,

especially during our 70 plus years life span .. no point worrying about things out of our control

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Hmm.

So we can see a planet 100 light years away, and yet the idiots who try and fob off "second sun" stories want people to believe we're incapble of seeing a brown dwarf star in our own solar system unless you are in Antarctica.

Says it all really...

Havn't you read any of the gor series,it's perfectly acceptable. REALLY!!

in a sci-fi kinda way that is

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Yngvarr

I bet everything must look weird on a planet going at relativistic speeds.

Judging from this site www.fourmilab.ch... it looks like if their mobile star system was going .95c stuff would be pretty stretched out but still manageable.

I think a fleet of carved out asteroids stuffed with colonists and stuff would be a more cost effective solution, but I guess the advantage of taking several planets and an artificial sun along for the ride is that your race can continue to function as normal instead of being popsicles for a couple million years.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

Now first let me say I've never really bought the Nibiru stuff before, I considered it but then dismissed it. However this is kind of weird that scientists should announce this discovery now.

"What remains unclear is just how the planet came to be - the tiny beginnings of a star, or planet launched from its home? Study co-author Philippe Delorme of the Institute of Planetology and Astrophysics of Grenoble, said that the latter implied a great many planets like it."

So if there's more like it, does that mean they could one day collide with the earth? Maybe some of the resident experts could clarify this for me.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 14-11-2012 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

A discovery can come on any day. Just because you attach some significance to that particular date for whatever reasons, doesn't automatically mean there's something fishy with the discovery.

There is a chance that some day a rogue planet may enter our Solar System. If it does, astronomers would be able to see it for years before it gets anywhere near the Earth. And then I think the planet has a better chance of hitting the Sun or Jupiter, due to their size and gravity. The example with the grains of sand in a cathedral can apply to the Solar System; it is an incredibly empty space. The rogue planet may swing by the Sun and be on its way again.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Its not a rogue planet-its a possible ship,disguised as a rogue planet.
This is ATS.after all.

The aliens on board the craft have already tapped into this thread BTW.
So watch oot.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Well thats a future event we can look forward to(if we are still alive) but no i wonder.. if this "ROUGUE PLANET" was in an solar orbit one day... Can this happen to our planet??? Scary thought lol

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

Its not a rogue planet-its a possible ship,disguised as a rogue planet.
This is ATS.after all.

The aliens on board the craft have already tapped into this thread BTW.
So watch oot.

I'm not that paranoid mate.

I actually worded my opening post on this wrong. I also should've said what are the potential fall outs from a planet passing close to earth. It would have to be some size of ship btw, between 4 and 7 times the size of Jupiter's mass?

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0mage

Originally posted by andy06shake
100 light years away means even if it coming this way at the speed of light(Which is also impossible) it wont get here untill 2112. LoL So no nibiru planet IMHO.

but then it's current position as we're seeing it.. is 100 years ago.. it could be exponentially closer.. LOL

if it's heading in our direction that is.

As others have stated this is brain-melting/confusing to think about. Remember that light years are a unit of distance. So it was 100 light years away. That factoid is 100 years old. However, if it is moving towards us, it would have to be going something like 3+ light years a day to get here by Dec. 20th, 2012. But wait, that data was 100 years old, so scratch that. If the planet is cruising along at a typical planetary speed, I can think about this without getting confused, but if I imagine this planet moving at even half the speed of light or faster (for the sake of thinking about it) -- I can't even wrap my head around it...

We would see it coming, but it would appear to accelerate (even if it was moving at linear speed) as it gets closer because of the light travel time delay decreasing? Like audio Doppler shift in freq. but rather in observed visual light?
edit on 11/14/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I notice that CFBDSIR 2149-0403 is Blue. And big 4-7 Jupiter masses.

en.wikipedia.org...

there have been others found like this one 165 LY away but they have some difficulty in clasifications and this new one is the closest yet to be found.
en.wikipedia.org...

There are a ton of them out there.

Astronomers have discovered a whole new class of alien planet: a vast population of Jupiter-mass worlds that float through space without any discernible host star, a new study finds.

and these strange worlds aren't mere statistical anomalies. They likely outnumber "normal" alien planets with obvious parent stars by at least 50 percent, and they're nearly twice as common in our galaxy as main-sequence stars, according to the new study.

www.space.com...

they mention 10 here

[yvid]
[/yvid]

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
It wouldn't surprise me if many gas giants survive the deaths of their parents and end up flying off on their own to wander the void.

Perhaps its possible as well that gas giants can be formed in the same way as a solar system, with a collapsing, spinning gas cloud except smaller than the ones which produce stars.
edit on 14-11-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join