It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Rogue planet' spotted 100 light-years away

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk

Astronomers have spotted a "rogue planet" - wandering the cosmos without a star to orbit - 100 light-years away.

The proximity of the new rogue planet has allowed astronomers to guess its age: a comparatively young 50-120 million years old.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Now first let me say I've never really bought the Nibiru stuff before, I considered it but then dismissed it. However this is kind of weird that scientists should announce this discovery now.

"What remains unclear is just how the planet came to be - the tiny beginnings of a star, or planet launched from its home? Study co-author Philippe Delorme of the Institute of Planetology and Astrophysics of Grenoble, said that the latter implied a great many planets like it."

So if there's more like it, does that mean they could one day collide with the earth? Maybe some of the resident experts could clarify this for me.

www.bbc.co.uk
edit on 14-11-2012 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
100 light years away means even if it coming this way at the speed of light(Which is also impossible) it wont get here untill 2112. LoL So no nibiru planet IMHO.
edit on 14-11-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Terrible name for a planet so close and a planet 'discovered' on my birthday.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
100 light years away means even if it coming this way at the speed of light(Which is also impossible) it wont get here untill 2112. LoL So no nibiru planet IMHO.

Never thought it was mate and that's not what I asked, I asked if there's the potential for other planets to be able to collide with earth. Maybe I should've been more clearer on the issue

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

www.bbc.co.uk

Astronomers have spotted a "rogue planet" - wandering the cosmos without a star to orbit - 100 light-years away.

The proximity of the new rogue planet has allowed astronomers to guess its age: a comparatively young 50-120 million years old.

Beat me to it :-)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

but then it's current position as we're seeing it.. is 100 years ago.. it could be exponentially closer.. LOL

if it's heading in our direction that is.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

So if there's more like it, does that mean they could one day collide with the earth?

If current theories of solar system formation are correct, there may be many proto-planets that have been ejected out of forming systems. As for the danger of one of these rogue planets colliding with Earth, Sir James Jeans put the issue into perspective over 100 years ago:

'Put three grains of sand inside a vast cathedral and the cathedral will be more closely packed with sand than space is with stars.'

www.quotegasm.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
The most important point made in the article, is that according to the boffins, this scenario may not be at all rare. And I suppose it shouldnt be that suprising in some respects. Every process of manufacture, wether we are talking the birth of stars, or the evolution of creatures on a planet, involves some waste. In biology this is shown in DNA fragments that have no purpose (that we know of) and in creatures which died off having failed to adapt to thier environs correctly (as opposed to those which were simply hunted to extinction).

Perhaps in the star birth scenario, these rogue planets, and perhaps free floating brown dwarfs and other failed stars, roaming the galaxy, are just cosmic swarf, burs of the industrial process of creation itself?

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Got it - rogue planets exist but there's only one nearby and it's not close enough to worry about.

"We observed hundreds of millions of stars and planets, but we only found one homeless planet in our neighbourhood."

But, ummm, maybe it could happen to us?

"If this little object is a planet that has been ejected from its native system, it conjures up the striking image of orphaned worlds, drifting in the emptiness of space,"...

Cool find. S&F&

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Aren't their intergalactic black holes??

Maybe every once in a while a black hole zooms close enough to a star system and causes a planet or few to go rogue and wander the galaxy aimlessly

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
hawtdamn
They found my DeathStar...
Well, sending new coordinates for NEW trajectoryaproach..

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
If we can spot one that far away, I think we should be able to find one that was, I don't know, close enough to crash into earth? Seems logical to me at least.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0mage

but then it's current position as we're seeing it.. is 100 years ago.. it could be exponentially closer.. LOL

if it's heading in our direction that is.

That is a mind-stretching thought trip statement.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q2IN2Y
Terrible name for a planet so close and a planet 'discovered' on my birthday.

My daughter's bday also

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Hypervelocity stars and planets have been observed many times. They are thrown out of the galactic core at incredible speeds. Here is an article about the subject if you would like to know more.www.time.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

So if there's more like it, does that mean they could one day collide with the earth?

If current theories of solar system formation are correct, there may be many proto-planets that have been ejected out of forming systems. As for the danger of one of these rogue planets colliding with Earth, Sir James Jeans put the issue into perspective over 100 years ago:

'Put three grains of sand inside a vast cathedral and the cathedral will be more closely packed with sand than space is with stars.'

www.quotegasm.com...

Question is though, how many more "grains of sand" have we yet to find and more importantly, how close to earth are they?

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Aren't their intergalactic black holes??

Maybe every once in a while a black hole zooms close enough to a star system and causes a planet or few to go rogue and wander the galaxy aimlessly

Or maybe advance civilization that inhabitate a planet purposely ejected it on their journey through cosmos.
Yeah I know it's farfetched but couldn't helped it.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Also, if an object is traveling directly at us at the speed of light, we would never see it coming. The object would be traveling at the same speed as the visible light coming towards us.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

I posted this news earlier in a different thread - www.abovetopsecret.com...

Reason for mentioning this was because the thread I posted in was based on a guys prediction Niburu would be spotted on the 14th November. Not a bad prediction considering this is a wondering planet spotted on the 14th November.

Just saying

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join