It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear controls. But, doesn't happiness too?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
reply to post by GypsK

You mentioned consequences. It is consequences that influence our behavior. We refrain from certain actions and likewise carry out certain actions because of consequences. We seek what we are made to seek. Even if we appear to make choices, our choices are largely predetermined by our anatomy and our environment. There is lesser and lesser room for genuine choice.

I'm sorry but I don't get your reasoning.
Of course we are limited because our anatomy, but lesser with time. For example:
nature made us so we humans can't breath under water, or fly like a bird... but we humans created technology to do just those things! That makes that we have more room for choices, not less.

"we seel what we are made to seek"
yes, and becoming more creative in it as time goes by

So, if you don't want nature and environment to influence your behaviour (or choices)
what is so different in the "perfect world" you imagine then? Think about it for a min.
You, as a human being and the way you where created, it's a genius system.

I once made a post about women and pms and how their hormones influence their behaviour. I stated that we where all a slave to our body, our emotions and our hormones. This is true for most people, untill you become aware of it and observe how certain aspects of life influence you.
Then you can activly work towards changing that. You simply "choose" to do things as you want to do them. It works, I did it, everyone can do it.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

I don't think something as intangible as fear or happiness can control us, for they are merely states of mind. Only we can control us. If one cannot control or at least accept his own emotions, then he deserves to be tormented by them. If one cannot act on and sublimate his emotion in a useful manner—perhaps to remove himself from a fearful situation in order to relocate to a more happy one—he will most likely always be caught in those shackles. Those that fear fear itself or strive for happiness itself are committing a great injustice and only shows that one can be controlled by their own state of mind, and not the other way around.

We probably shouldn't attempt to blame such things as 'fear' or 'happiness,' because in the process we are blaming ourselves. To proclaim our states of mind the wardens and captors of our entirety which guide our outward expression is to show how little we have truly evolved, insofar as we are still unable to control or act on those impulses in an intelligent way.

These emotions have something to tell us about our situation. To not act on them is the ultimate stupidity.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I didn't read any replies, only answering the OP Q:

Happiness can only Control those who Fear losing it.

So to answer your question:

No!

Ribbit

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by NiNjABackflip

Originally posted by NiNjABackflip

I don't think something as intangible as fear or happiness can control us,........
But 'Love' can. 'Love' is capable of causing people to do many things that they would not have done otherwise.

Also, for some, 'Fear' & 'Happiness' are possibly the most dominant characteristics that define their 'Love'.

reply to post by BrokenCircles

i think u missed the point.
Ditto.

If that were true, you should have clarified what it is that you think I missed.
Since you did not even try, then you must not actually believe that to be true.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Actually I didnt elaborare because Im laboriously typing from my xbox.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Growing up, you didnt say cuss words in front of your parents for fear of the belt.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

An individual's choice is only apparently their own. Our environment and our circumstances are just as much responsible if not moreso. I went to school and got a good job not because it is my dream, but because of the pressures of society. I do my job according to what is expected of me by management.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

reply to post by GypsK

An individual's choice is only apparently their own. Our environment and our circumstances are just as much responsible if not moreso. I went to school and got a good job not because it is my dream, but because of the pressures of society. I do my job according to what is expected of me by management.

Well then I hope you are happy because otherwise I feel sorry for you...

I know the pressure of society, I knew the pressure of parents, grandparents and teachers.... But being the rebel that i am (or was) I CHOSE to do things my way.
Didn't finish school because I chose not to.... and went to work in a fast food restaurant because I rather did that then sit behind a desk as everyone seemed to be expecting from me!
but lucky me, in that restaurant I happen to meet my husband for almost 16 years now. Yup, we where both fired from that job because of a relationship on the workfloor. So we desided we had enough about being bossed around by others and we started our OWn store. It was hard for a couple of years but now I can honestly say that it was the best thing we ever did....

of course, my life could have been better if I just did what everyone told me to do.... if I had just crumbled for the pressure of society...... yeah right!

Anyway..... you stated your opinion, which is that you have no free will and no free choices because that is what you truely belief. I CHOOSE to believe otherwise and that is working perfectly fine for me.

I wish you good luck on your path because with a belief like that it can't be easy.....

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK

Anyway..... you stated your opinion, which is that you have no free will and no free choices because that is what you truely belief. I CHOOSE to believe otherwise and that is working perfectly fine for me.

The problem with that kind of thinking is when you find out you've been wrong your entire life and too stubborn to look at other possibilities, you may self-destruct because of it. So if you don't open your mind to possibilities now, then your grave will open much easier later but whether or not you fall in that ditch will still be up to you until it does happen, but understand that getting out of it is not as easy as getting into it.

So what works today for someone, may collapse tomorrow, if you do not leave your options open.

Ribbit

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

I don't think something as intangible as fear or happiness can control us,........

But 'Love' can. 'Love' is capable of causing people to do many things that they would not have done otherwise.

Also, for some, 'Fear' & 'Happiness' are possibly the most dominant characteristics that define their 'Love'.

i think u missed the point.
Ditto.

If that were true, you should have clarified what it is that you think I missed.
Since you did not even try, then you must not actually believe that to be true.

Hey BC,

I thought I'd point out that your comment about Love is off. Love isn't responsible, bad logic is.

Ribbit

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
wrong thread
edit on 13-11-2012 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Do people do things in the name of Love or in the name of the things they love? I would argue that they would do it for what they love, not love itself. Love or fear isn't capable of anything except perhaps making people think it is an actual thing. It's only an idea and a word representing a state of mind, not a tangible thing worthy of being a noun.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Growing up, you didnt say cuss words in front of your parents for fear of the belt.

You're right, I feared the belt, and not something we call fear. One exists as tangible, the other only as a word.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

And your tendency to rebel is also a predetermined facet of your personality which is a product of your circumstances and genetic anatomy.

Don't feel sorry for what I believe

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
wrong thread
edit on 13-11-2012 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

Thank God.

Just kidding

3rd

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

To me, it seems we are highly controlled. So much so, that I doubt there is really a such thing as freedom.

We are kept on a path. For one, I didn't choose to be smithjustinb in the first place. So I am an unwilling participant in the human drama. For two, as a human, there are things I won't do because I am scared to. I wouldn't even know what to do if I wasn't scared to do some things. Which brings me to number three. We all want to be happy. If it weren't for a thing called happiness, no one would know what to do either.

It seems happiness and fear keep us on the move doing what it is that happiness and fear, as well as other emotions, want us to do.

What emotion is most desireable for you? Happiness? Why? Is that your choice?

We don't have a choice.

Are you going to choose what to eat for supper tonight? Maybe, but so what? Who's choice is it for you to have to eat in the first place? It's the recurring, automatic hunger in your stomach, and there's nothing you can do to stop it or change it.

Is there a God? It makes sense that we would conclude this, but there's no way of knowing for sure. If there's not, then who or what's purpose are we serving by living an automatic life. And what is the purpose?

We have to do what we do to get what we want. But what we want isn't what we want, but it is what we are made to want. Therefore, what we are doing isn't our choice either.

Duality allows choice. Here is where we experience duality...therefore, the freedom to choose.

Fear-based emotions are contractative...'happiness'-based emotions are expansive.
Contraction, solidifies. Consider yourself contracted in emotion/thought, and you will 'hit' solidity.
Expansion, rarifies. Consider yourself expanded in emotion/thought, and you will not be met solidly by anything.

It's a choice.
We do the controlling.

A99

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Ever read the book " Brave new World"

The people were grown in Jars, and conditioned before birth and since. Happiness was used as a control. They knew no other alternative, they are conditioned to be happy, and they think they are. They know nothing else, but what you have a people devoid of what it is to be human.

Control though happiness or Fear, is control. You should never let anyone control you period.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by akushla99

Duality allows choice. Here is where we experience duality...therefore, the freedom to choose.

Fear-based emotions are contractative...'happiness'-based emotions are expansive.
Contraction, solidifies. Consider yourself contracted in emotion/thought, and you will 'hit' solidity.
Expansion, rarifies. Consider yourself expanded in emotion/thought, and you will not be met solidly by anything.

It's a choice.
We do the controlling.

A99

Will you correct that word?

Contractive?

Constrictive?

Either way, ever see anyone exchanging desired happiness for unwanted fear?

Happy based emotions are just as contractive/constrictive as fear, for as much as you want happiness, you do not want to lose your happiness.

You are deluding yourself because emotions only get in your way, no matter what the direction, and they are sourced from duality, which a duality based human construct is a Closed System and will self-destruct, as it is in the process of doing now.
But if you are human, it's hard to do away with emotions so control them or they will control you and the only way to control them is with Logic, not Perception.

Welcome to TEOTWAWKI, boarding rows 0 thru 0, so please have your boarding pass ready when you go thru the gates of Hell and thank you for flying with us and we look forward to crashing with you and being caught in a temporal wave that traps us in the greatest moment of heightened fear, repeating forever.

“Ladies and gentlemen, the Captain has turned on the Fasten Seat Belt sign. If you haven’t already done so, please stow your carry-on luggage underneath the seat in front of you or in an overhead bin. Please take your seat and fasten your seat belt. And also make sure your seat back and folding trays are in their full upright position.

If you are seated next to an emergency exit, please read carefully the special instructions card located by your seat. If you do not wish to perform the functions described in the event of an emergency, please ask a flight attendant to reseat you.

At this time, we request that all mobile phones, pagers, radios and remote controlled toys be turned off for the full duration of the flight, as these items might interfere with the navigational and communication equipment on this aircraft. We request that all other electronic devices be turned off until we fly above -10,000 feet. We will notify you when it is safe to use such devices.

We remind you that this is a non-smoking flight. Smoking is prohibited on the entire aircraft, including the lavatories. Tampering with, disabling or destroying the lavatory smoke detectors is prohibited by law.

If you have any questions about our timeloop flight today, please don’t ask one of our flight attendants. They not only do not know the answer to your questions, they also don't give a damn! Thank you!”

Ribbit

edit on 14-11-2012 by ButtUglyToad because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine

Ever read the book " Brave new World"

The people were grown in Jars, and conditioned before birth and since. Happiness was used as a control. They knew no other alternative, they are conditioned to be happy, and they think they are. They know nothing else, but what you have a people devoid of what it is to be human.

Control though happiness or Fear, is control. You should never let anyone control you period.

"Order, via Control, breeds chaos but Control, via Order, isn't Control." - Old Toad Proverb

Humans have no viable Point of Reference to truly know what it is to be human and a jar is a Closed System, representive of everyone's closed mind, their Matrix, so do you think they will ever figure out the movie is about them?

Ribbit

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ButtUglyToad

Originally posted by akushla99

It's a choice.
We do the controlling.

A99

Will you correct that word?

Contractive?

Constrictive?

Either way, ever see anyone exchanging desired happiness for unwanted fear?

Happy based emotions are just as contractive/constrictive as fear, for as much as you want happiness, you do not want to lose your happiness.

You are deluding yourself because emotions only get in your way, no matter what the direction, and they are sourced from duality, which a duality based human construct is a Closed System and will self-destruct, as it is in the process of doing now.
But if you are human, it's hard to do away with emotions so control them or they will control you and the only way to control them is with Logic, not Perception.

Welcome to TEOTWAWKI, boarding rows 0 thru 0, so please have your boarding pass ready when you go thru the gates of Hell and thank you for flying with us and we look forward to crashing with you and being caught in a temporal wave that traps us in the greatest moment of heightened fear, repeating forever.

“Ladies and gentlemen, the Captain has turned on the Fasten Seat Belt sign. If you haven’t already done so, please stow your carry-on luggage underneath the seat in front of you or in an overhead bin. Please take your seat and fasten your seat belt. And also make sure your seat back and folding trays are in their full upright position.

If you are seated next to an emergency exit, please read carefully the special instructions card located by your seat. If you do not wish to perform the functions described in the event of an emergency, please ask a flight attendant to reseat you.

At this time, we request that all mobile phones, pagers, radios and remote controlled toys be turned off for the full duration of the flight, as these items might interfere with the navigational and communication equipment on this aircraft. We request that all other electronic devices be turned off until we fly above -10,000 feet. We will notify you when it is safe to use such devices.

We remind you that this is a non-smoking flight. Smoking is prohibited on the entire aircraft, including the lavatories. Tampering with, disabling or destroying the lavatory smoke detectors is prohibited by law.

If you have any questions about our timeloop flight today, please don’t ask one of our flight attendants. They not only do not know the answer to your questions, they also don't give a damn! Thank you!”

Ribbit

Only if you correct your conceited attitude...deal?...didn't think so
...regardless, you know what the word means, despite its spelling, and we all know you are keen on mashing the spelling of words - you don' seem to have a problem with this, though...spelling police...pleeeeez

'Control', through logic is admirable...
Duality is necessary.

SHI-SHO
Perception is a combined activity in the human unit.

Feel the apathy...

A99

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join