It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Gore Gives Us About 90 More Years

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Al Gore Gives Us About 90 More Years

That would take mankind to the year 2100 before all hell breaks loose.

Former vice president Al Gore posted on his webpage Friday that scientific studies of clouds and atmospheric pressure suggests that, “more likely than not, our planet will experience cataclysmic warming by the end of the century.”

Gore, who taught the world about the wonders of climate catastrophe in his famous documentary “Inconvenient Truth”....

Alright, here we go again....

A few years back I watched his presentation in "Inconvenient Truth" and I'll admit it did initially raise the hair on the back of my neck. Then I started doing some research on his hypothesis. On face value there is something to what he has to share. I think cutting back on greenhouse emissions is a good thing but not necessarily for the reasons he states and outlines. I'd like to see the US and the rest of the world for that matter kick it's fossil fuel addiction. This imho would do the world a great favor for many reasons.

A. The US/West wouldn't be so dependent on ME fuel and have to use gunboat diplomacy or worse when their vital interests are at stake. I'm more than certain many here and in the ME would like to see less US/West involvement in the region.

B. The US/West should develop clean energy. Every passing year we are seeing more and more viable alternatives [Even though there are many nay Sayers]

C. I see nothing wrong with leaving our children and grandchildren clean water and fresh air. People hate the idea of borrowing on your children's futures with debt but seem to look the other way when we are polluting the world they will inherit from us.

Yes, Yes Yes, I know Oil Profits are so hard to ignore for the fat cats. Meanwhile, the little guy pays at the pump, then pays again in the form of blood to fight their wars so they have a commodity to sell back to us at the pumps...

That will be our first talking point tonight.

Our second, is about this "All hell breaks loose" business....

Does he have a point?

We all have seen the effects of Hurricane Sandy. Was it as some officials claim the "Once in a century storm"? Or is it as some believe simply a sign of things to come? Has man made pollution in your opinion either caused or contributed to "Global warming/Climate change" or is this simply the signs of a natural cyclical Earth process? Do they know all the variables to properly run these types of computer simulation scenarios and get reasonably accurate forecasts of the next 50 or 90 years?

I've heard and read all sorts of possible scenarios. Some feel we will start a run away greenhouse gas affect that once started will make Earth uninhabitable. Another scenario suggests that we will see a temporary increase of temperature then a rapid cooling as the ice cap fresh water melt off drastically interferes with the ocean currents setting off a ice age of sorts.

While still others say we will see a re-balancing of sorts with massive coastal flooding and reshaping of coastlines as the ocean levels rise. We in this scenario would see areas that are presently very productive agriculturally become less so and other areas that are not productive become so and still other areas we'll see little or no change at all.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that IMO nobody seems to really know, Do you?
In the end, I have a gut feeling [for what that's worth] that there is a change taking place and I do feel man has contributed to it but is not the major nor sole cause. Will we see as Gore predicts "All hell breaking loose" or will we see a much slower gradual change? Or, in your opinion little or no change at all?

All opinions [both pro and con] and concerns will be appreciated.

edit on 11-11-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Guess Al doesn't believe in the Mayan's predictions.

We all have seen the effects of Hurricane Sandy.

Yes, and I have to wonder what role poor planning played in all of this. I mean when people are allowed to build along a coast they can expect disaster to come their way, Once in a century storm or not.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that IMO nobody seems to really know, Do you?

I'm sitting in the clueless section. On one hand I can see how we are polluting our environment and on the other hand I can see where Mother nature is just doing her thing.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I'm really surprised you didn't consider the volatile behaviour of the Sun and how it plays into all this.

Then again I will defer this arguement to the ATS "Science Advisor"....PHAGE.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
That's all great and all but,

Clean=Green=Broke.

We will not be worrying about clean energy because of the job losses that clean standards set by the EPA cause.

It is already happening.

I agree that we need to developed new energy sources, but we do not need to completely wipe out the industries we have until there is an economically viable replacement to these sources.

For example,

Down at the sheetmetal union hall, we have dozens of workers out of work because a "new scrubber design" has failed at a newly built power plant here in Illinois. They honestly do not know what they are going to do with it because it is a massive failure and a waste of tens of millions. Of dollars. Dollars that you and I funded and now we do not get the reward of more energy, why, because of the epa's ridiculous harsh standards for "clean" energy. They completely shut it down people.

I don't think we have to pollute the world away to sustain jobs and good sources of energy.

For the people that say green energy creates jobs,

Well where are they at? Because they sure are not in coal country.

What happened to all of the money dumped in solar? Didn't a massive company just move operations to China?

How is every other country doing that has elected to go green? I bet they are broke

We need solutions, but we also need to keep America working otherwise we will all be burning tires to try to stay warm in the coming winters.

No jobs=no ability to enjoy a clean and green planet because you will be too busy trying to keepeveryone from stealing your garden vegetables and eating your pets.
edit on 10-11-2012 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-11-2012 by liejunkie01 because: phone spelling sorry

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

I am interested in hearing all opinions and theories.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
If it weren't for Al Gore's flatulence, we'd be good for at least 45 more than that.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm
I'm really surprised you didn't consider the volatile behaviour of the Sun and how it plays into all this.

I agree and mars is also heating up as well I thought this was well known by now but I guess not. However I am sure al isn't ready to step off the multi billion industry he has help build up and say he was wrong or lying .

source national geographic 2007

"Man-made greenhouse warming has made a small contribution to the warming seen on Earth in recent years, but it cannot compete with the increase in solar irradiance," Abdussamatov said. By studying fluctuations in the warmth of the sun, Abdussamatov believes he can see a pattern that fits with the ups and downs in climate we see on Earth and Mars.

To the OP weather patterns will change with warming waters warming causing stronger storms melting ice caps faster than expected by models giving by the governments . What ever the sun is doing we will just have to ride it out .

While we are waiting we should be putting our brightest minds together globally to come up with better , cleaner energies . Instead we leave it up to multi national companies research and develop these technologies , and their goals are on profit not R n D .

I really don't think there is a big push on governments as they seem to rather enjoy the kick backs with the taxations they get from the consumer ..

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Last Weekend, Half of Germany Was Running on Solar Power

German solar power plants produced a world record 22 gigawatts of electricity – equal to 20 nuclear power stations at full capacity – through the midday hours of Friday and Saturday, the head of a renewable energy think tank has said ... Norbert Allnoch, director of the Institute of the Renewable Energy Industry in Muenster, said the 22 gigawatts of solar power fed into the national grid on Saturday met nearly 50% of the nation's midday electricity needs.

Source

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

First of all, I think "getting off of ME oil" is code language for "sticking it to the Muslims." That may not be your intention, but it seems to be the intention of those in the media who are purporting this idea. Only 16% of our imported petroleum comes from that area, and we don't need "gunboat diplomacy" when the nations supplying it are our allies.

www.consumerenergyreport.com...

Even if we stopped getting oil from there, we are culturally duty-bound to support Israel. We will always have bases in the ME, and it will always be a hot spot.

As to Al Gore's movie, I seem to recall him saying the oceans would rise 3 feet over 100 years. Plenty of time for people to move inland. Yes, it would be a massive project to relocate millions of people or build dikes, but I don't think waist-deep water is going to bring an end to civilization as we know it.
edit on 10-11-2012 by Snsoc because: statistics correction

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Thats more than I need...

Alls good then!

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Americanist
Last Weekend, Half of Germany Was Running on Solar Power

German solar power plants produced a world record 22 gigawatts of electricity – equal to 20 nuclear power stations at full capacity – through the midday hours of Friday and Saturday, the head of a renewable energy think tank has said ... Norbert Allnoch, director of the Institute of the Renewable Energy Industry in Muenster, said the 22 gigawatts of solar power fed into the national grid on Saturday met nearly 50% of the nation's midday electricity needs.

Source

I see a date of may 28 in the link.

How are the solar panels doing in the winter time? Maybe covered in snow.

I also noticed the cost was passed on to the consumers. I would bet that the rates would be more than stated in the article.

While it is an achievement, how many jobs have been lost because of this move? The article is too full of "positives" with only one negative. I feel like I am being sold something that is going to screw me in the long run.

For the record I am all for solar. I gave a small setup of my own, but this article is only half of the story.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

some has to help mass produce the panels and some one needs to clean them from the snow .

or should we keep using ancient technology so you can keep you job ?
edit on 11/11/12 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
First, let me say that i agree with your A, B and C statements.
Climate issues or not, these things are common sense.
The world is not just our litterbox, it's our island in space.

We aren't the first organisms that can have a large scale impact on our living conditions.
Theoretically, it's happened numerous times as the Earth's atmosphere and climate has evolved.
Our atmosphere has been recalibrated before. By tiny organisms in the oceans. By vast forests that covered continents. Percentages of Oxygen, Co2, etc have changed before. Heck, just those things might be the reason we are even here in the first place.

Though geological activity, solar activity. Maybe even a combination of the precession of axial tilt and the timing of our seasons in our elliptical orbit. Our eccentricity is fairly small, but combine that with other factors who knows what the effects might be? We can't control those things. We can't put a cork in a volcano, can we?

The difference here and now, is that we are the first organisms that know about our influence. Whether it be local, or on a large planetary scale. We all know that we can't flush all of our waste into a lake. We know that everyone in a big city can't keep warm with individual coal burning stoves.

Our written history, especially when it comes to tracking weather, has occurred during relatively stable times, climatological speaking. But we DO know that, in the long run, things change. Sometimes drastically.
We are no longer nomads. We can't just move to a better place freely. Plus there are a LOT more of us to move.

So, what do we do?

The best I can say, is some of the same things you did. Figure it out. But do it in a calm and collected manner.
Stop the bickering, stop making it political, and figure out what the human contribution might be.
It's not us versus them, it's just us.

It kind of torques me off when I see people making fun of a failed wind turbine, or laughing at a Nissan Leaf.
At least people are trying. Like anything else, there will be successes and failures. But I admire the attempts.
There will be some amazing breakthroughs, maybe tomorrow, maybe in ten years. That's as unpredictable as the weather too.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Here is some "inconvient truths" about Gore and the church of climatology:

Gore's predicition rather convenient because Gore will be dead in 90 years, and so will the rest of us.

Alternative energies have been around since the beginning of civilization, solar,wind,geothermal,hydro, and here is the kicker for Gore and all those subscribe to his ideology:

Push alternative energy that depends on the climate, but the climate is changing for the worst in what world does that make sense?

Fossil fuels is why we have the modern world that we all "love and hate", that is also the reasons that everyone lives the lifestyle's they do: everything we all take for granted from food to fuel to space travel, and yes even make all those alternative energy products are made from the very same fossil fuels that are most hated.

There is nothing to date in over 100 years that delivers the return for the money spent- NOTHING.

That same fuel that those people who grow the food they eat can not be reproduced by any other means, and when we are talking 7 billion people how are they going to be fed?

Because that same church of climate change says a farmer disking a field adds carbon to the air so now farmers are forced to no till, and other legislation aka regulation says he can't use herbicides,pesticides, and other products because they are deemed hazardous to the environment.

The same ideology that says cow gas is a hazard to the environment, and other stupidity it is going to literally take trillions of dollars, and decades to come up with some alternative.

Then hey lets burn food for fuel, remember now 7 billion people on their earth, more people eating, more people driving, and using fuel and all exhale carbon dioxide.

Then of course the drive to change the world once is what led to the "oil cartels" so here we are once again pushing to create another cartel.

Then we have shyster's such as Al Gore, and his multimillion dollar home that uses more electricity that the next 100 people's homes.

Then that same Al Gore flying around on his private jet burning aviation fuel that is not too healthy for the environment as purportedly to be so bad all the while making his multi million dollars off a cult belief.

So let's be perfectly clear here climate change is a fact no one will dispute that, but it has many factors that are in heaven, and earth Horatio.

What needs to happen is people need to start weighing the cost benefit analysis of what all their grand ideals are doing to this country before before they end up with 1000 bill to fill up their gas tank.

The entire world revolves around a single commodity which there is nothing else without. Don't get me wrong here I am for something different, but people need to realize saving the planet is not saving your wallet.

In over 20 years things now are more expensive and the Gore's is part of the reasons why.
edit on 11-11-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
If true, at least I take no personal responsibility for the future suffering of any family. I'll be long dead before # hits the fan and I don't plan upon procreating so I'll leave no children or grandchildren that have to live in those times and die in terrifying ways.

Then again, I do take my own personal responsibility.
I recycle always and am always hounding people about not burning trash or driving too much in a car that puts off a lot of Co2.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Someone like China to mass produce the panels. And once they are installed you don't need any more for a long time. So you are pretty much talking about temporary China jobs.

As you can read in my reply above, I stated that I am all for moving to cleaner energy, I just do not think we should kill off other industries in the process....

How much does one guy get paid to push a broom anyways? Do you think you could support a family sweeping off panels because to me that does not sound like a high skilled job. I mean broom pushers here are called janitors.

For the record I am laid off, so technically there is no work right now. It will be even worse when we get
"greener".

There is an article in today's paper, and a thread here on ATS stating a coal company has laid off some 150 workers already, all because of some clean energy initiative.

150 good paying jobs replaced by the unemployment line. It is already costing this country and some are just to naive to see it.

What was he unemployment rate again? It is not about my job friend. It is littetally about thousands of jobs.

1 job is just a drop in the bucket, now you can add 150 more to that, and there is not anything to replace them in the near future. The drops add up until thebucket overflows.

To think about the future, you must first think about how to get there.

edit on 11-11-2012 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-11-2012 by liejunkie01 because: phone spelling sorry

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
90 years, huh?

I gues that means that we have plenty of time to come up with solutions.

But I'd just like to point out that local weathermen aren't right with weekly forecasts.

So I honestly doubt the accuracy of a 90 year one.

Nice topic.
SnF

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Well, we are in an inter-glacial period. They also don't know what causes glacial periods. Global warming could be a trigger, but that doesn't explain the last one adequately.

We are also at the solar maximum. A lot more solar radiation bombarding the ionosphere, and that'd probably help to raise the temp a few degrees.

Add in excessive co2 emissions growing at an exponential rate. We aren't switching to alternate fuels fast enough, so exhaust emissions continue to grow.

Tying in those three alone gives Gore a pretty strong case.

However, my opinion has been for years that the earth is a self-regulating biosphere. The earth is simply too large to not regulate itself. Sure, we chunk loads of co2 into the atmosphere, but plants and trees thrive under such conditions, and the excess is washed out in the rain and gets diffused by soil dispersion.

Save an extra-terrestial impactor (radical input into the system), the changes we are witnessing are temporary (on a geological scale), and will balance back out.

That's not saying we won't tip towards the unpleasant end of habitability. If we do, we'll all have to make changes. Life may not be pleasant at that point, but we'll still, as a species, survive.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Well why do we need to work as slaves we need a culture shift or I hate so say this term a new world order . Why couldn't we share the work and spend more time enjoying life . Why is everyone so concerned over how much wealth they accumulate or material possessions.

We live in a world where the working class barely gets by and the wealthy well are just greedy . We can create money from thin air but can't really help a fellow when they are laid off and is left to lose everything. it's not right .

I am sorry for your lay off I know how that feels . My line of work solely relies on oil industries with out it nothing would get transported and I would be out of a job . Then so be it I would rather leave a cleaner world for my children then the problems they have inherited . No we cannot just phase out combustion engines over night there needs to be time for transitions .

There is however a lack of any real attempt to find a new power source . Maybe Nicola Tesla was onto something when he claimed everything could run on electricity transmitted wirelessly , maybe he was a crap pot . Maybe JP morgan was just to concerned over his monopoly on copper wiring at the time . I don't think they hand out patents to any tom dick or hairy who can scribble a diagram on paper .

It comes down to greed these ultra wealthy companies in energy don't want to invest in possibilities they just care about profit and public image .

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Back at it again! I am not denying that something is amiss, but I am not buying the idea that it is all man made either. Just my humble opinion, and I am in no way a scientist. Perhaps, humans may have a hand at play here, but I think natural phenomenons are at play as well.

There has been quite a lot of stark and dangerous weather changes throughout the earth's history. If I can recall, the last time it happened we were still living in caves and making fires with flint stones. Perhaps, the earth is engaging in yet another climate fluctuation, and as it has done many times in the past? It is in the geological record, and ice core samples. I am all for clean air, clean drinking water, resource management, and all of that. However, I am not for Soviet style central planning. If changes are to be made it must be done practically, and gradually. Furthermore, the basis for such changes better be air tight with substantial scientific justification, and not being made at the beckoned call of some greasy palmed politicians.

Our lives are difficult to begin with, and to have some guy that lives in a mansion telling me to buy carbon footprints, to not flush the toilet, sit around in a dark candle lit house, and any of the other cockamamie solutions by Al Gore and his lot is just plain obnoxious. Don't urinate on my back and tell me it is raining. This guy lives in a mansion in Tennessee, and probably has a fleet of gas guzzling SUVs.

Al Gore's 'Inconvenient Truth'? -- $30,000 utility bill

Armed with Gore's utility bills for the last two years, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research charged Monday that the gas and electric bills for the former vice president's 20-room home and pool house devoured nearly 221,000 kilowatt-hours in 2006, more than 20 times the national average of 10,656 kilowatt-hours.

"If this were any other person with $30,000-a-year in utility bills, I wouldn't care," says the Center's 27-year-old president, Drew Johnson. "But he tells other people how to live and he's not following his own rules."

He wants the turnip eating peons to sacrifice, but King Al can do whatever he wants as well as make a killing off of it? That is not fair to any of us. Lets talk about the billions wasted as result of the President's green industry ideas. Billions down the rabbit hole! Many of the companies that received federal funds have filed for bankruptcy. Just some musings on my part about this topic. Considering Al Gore's track record about this, and every time he opens his mouth? It makes my skin crawl. He is a snake oil salesmen. Please sir, I do not want any more of your miracle elixir.
edit on 11-11-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join