It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autosave!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
right guys my first thread....

I just wanted to pass on a thought i was having and wanted to see if any one else had thought about it..

Autosave can make or break a game for me for exaple resident evil 6 brilliant game and a great new take on the series but the auto save function is SLACK!!! seriously it would put you way behind the point you where at when you turned your console off and youd have to redo it all again just to get back to where you were. where as assasins creed 3s autosave is brilliant!! it puts you in the exact location you left the game in.

Why do game developers not notice that this is important having to replay the same mission again and again makes you not like the game your playing, dose any one else think this???

Plus if you wanna talk about any new games im down ive just bought halo 4 too so lets talk ATS

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by incandecenttruth

Its nice to have auto save at all. I remember the good old days of console gaming where you lost everything once you turned off. The best you could hope for was a password per level system back then.

Hardcore, three lives and no saves.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I kinda don't like how most autosaves are done, i mean, they are hard to pull it right, take dark souls as an example, it is a great auto save function cause your actions mean something and you can almost always change where you are going if it is too hard, and death don't mean much. But in many games it is a hand-holder that take away the element of danger, for example i played x-com on ironman mode only because i would never save-scam it, the soldier died he is gone, no 2 chance on that, and sometime i like to play games in a no death rule set, cause way more fun when i know that my choices are meaningful and dangerous.

But i take that everyone was his/her playstyle, and they are usually different.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
haha yeh i remember playing doom that had the passwords for the levels
and the no death rule is fun but its better on differnt games like fallout or skyrim its ace coz its like your second life ( destruction mage with single handed and light armour and smithing) if you where wondering. but like COD and battlefeild it abit redundent on the higher skill setting coz your going down at some point.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Grifter81

Its nice to have auto save at all. I remember the good old days of console gaming where you lost everything once you turned off. The best you could hope for was a password per level system back then.

Indeed, many a NES was fried because we had to leave them running. I think it was zelda? pretty sure it was zelda, the first game I remember having that actually saved on a cartridge! I was amazed.

Unrelated but almost related, I was reading about some "bug" in borderlands 2 on xbox 360, apparently there is a mode you can enable if you have a modded console they refer to as "badass mode". Once enabled, if you die, it deletes your savegame, you're done. The "bug" was, you could infect other people who didn't enable this mode, including people with unmodded consoles, while playing multiplayer.

Now that's a game with repercussions, you die, you really die lol

edit on 9-11-2012 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

I know what you mean. There's a fine line where to have checkpoints and auto saves. If they're too far apart it feels like a chore to start again, too short and the game basically nurses you through.

By the way I got Halo 4; bought it, played it,clocked it. I won't give anything away but but what i will say is that it's epic.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I think Assassins Creed 3 actually saves when you select "quit", but yeah I like how it saves after everything you do.

Halo 4 is awesome, best Halo yet. Waiting for more playlists like Team SWAT and multi-team...

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
i only got halo 4 last night i had a few multiplayer games and did the prolog gna play it through on legendary so i only have to do it once of the Gs. look amazing though! do some of the ATS guys play online together?? my tag is Xg I nemesis I add me if you fancy a game: Halo 4,assassins creed 3, COD, battlefeild

and i agree with the point about check points if they are to close together they make it far to easy you can just checkpiont hop!!!

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by incandecenttruth
i only got halo 4 last night i had a few multiplayer games and did the prolog gna play it through on legendary so i only have to do it once of the Gs. look amazing though! do some of the ATS guys play online together?? my tag is Xg I nemesis I add me if you fancy a game: Halo 4,assassins creed 3, COD, battlefeild

and i agree with the point about check points if they are to close together they make it far to easy you can just checkpiont hop!!!

Legendary gets pretty damn hard when you start fighting Prometheans.
edit on 9-11-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I have a bigger beef with games that use checkpoint systems and no quick save.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter81

Hardcore, three lives and no saves.

Dude, I remember having to enter in a code that took up half the screen on River City Ransom just to "load" my game. Legend of Zelda coming out with saves was just mind blowing.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Ha never though of it like that before. I have always approached autosave from the opposite viewpoint - it does my head in! Seriously, hate trawling through all the saves to look for the relevant one.

I like the old style because at least it meant you got to "know" the game. Never really put any thought into it but kind of assumed others felt like i did!

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
i just thought it was a ball ake with some games and although its somthiong small i can effect how you play/percive the game.

im looking faward to black ops the COD franchise have got the autosave/checkpoint system down to a fine art game looks EPIC too if any one else is getting it get me added i play zombies too

One love

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

oh it did, (i wont post a spoiler) activating thingys with many prometheans got pretty hard, and waiting for a door to open has never been so difficult.
but legendary solo on the 1st playthrough is the only way to play the game but thats only my opinion.i love a challenge.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg

Originally posted by SpearMint

oh it did, (i wont post a spoiler) activating thingys with many prometheans got pretty hard, and waiting for a door to open has never been so difficult.
but legendary solo on the 1st playthrough is the only way to play the game but thats only my opinion.i love a challenge.

I prefer to play through on normal first so I can enjoy the story without frustration, then go back for the challenge.

join