It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I knew my mom was zealous about Romney, but...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+57 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I never thought this would happen.

My mom (a Romney fan) and I went to the polling place. The wait felt approximately as long as the line for a semi-popular ride at Disney World during busy season. But none of this mattered much, because I was eager to add my vote for Gary Johnson.

In the line, I arranged a day out with my mom tomorrow. We would have a great time. Today would be a good day too. Vote for Gary Johnson, go home, get some coffee, relax.

But it wasn't to be...
In the car after we were done voting, she asked me if I voted Republican, and I told her the truth without thinking.
She-- blew-- UP.

She said some pretty creative things that I didn't think a person would ever be inclined to say to one's own daughter.
"You are so stupid"... "I feel like I have a traitor in my own home"... "I asked you to do this ONE THING for me"... (For a few minutes I thought she was going to kick me out of the house.) Her biggest rant was that I just wasted my vote, and that I basically gave one to Obama.

I made the point that a vote is only wasted if it's for someone you don't believe in. I also mentioned sadly that this election has divided everyone like no other, family member against family member. She scoffed icily at everything I said, and continued on to say that she never even heard of Gary Johnson at all... and then that I knew nothing of politics and couldn't possibly make an informed decision...

I'm alone in my room now. I'm kind of scared of how she'll act towards me. One thing's for sure, our nice day out tomorrow is probably called off.
I wanted so much to make the point that this country is based on freedom, and that includes the freedom to vote for who I want. But it wouldn't have made a difference.
edit on 6-11-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Very selfish and ungrateful of you.

You should be ashamed.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I got into a similar argument with my mother. She felt the same as yours. I left the room before words were said that could damage our relationship as that particular argument was not worth the potential cost.

+23 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Just because they are our parents does not mean they are better informed.

Stick to your guns and I would be willing to bet that maternal instinct will trump politics in the end.

Glad you took the time to vote!

+12 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Not a very "Fair and Balanced" response from your Mom.

edit on 6-11-2012 by Pedro4077 because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

I am proud of you, your choice to stand up and for your own conscience is commendable. Shake it off and be proud of yourself as well. Sometimes writing a note to your Mom helps, she may be mad now but she will respect you later. Write all the reasons you do not want Romeny as a President and then compile the reasons you think the 2 party system is broken and that a vote for Johnson was bringing the opportunity to the voters in 2016 to chose more than the old dead 2 party system.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
That is why you never really tell anyone who your voting for. It is sad when we cant tell our family members.
Your story is exactly what happens with the zealots. At least you voted but no matter who wins, nothing will change. The debt is going to get worse and worse. Republican or Democrats can't stop it unless we get serious.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

The problem is its a 2 party system and who spends the most wins.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Thanks for voting!

Hopefully this will all be over soon and everyone can relax a bit.
In my area there was zero wait time to vote, from leaving the car to getting back in

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by solidguy

So having an opinion and voting differently than one's parents is disrespectful....and from that post you can tell they are a "mooch"?

I really hope you are being sarcastic....

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It's always best just to not tell people who you voted for unless you know them really well. Even then, it's not really a good idea in case of backlash, you don't want to be called out somehow.

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
When I was little, my grandparent were huge John Kennedy supporters. My mom, a born again Christian, was sure that he was the anti-Christ, because he was Catholic. Catholics weren't Christian in my mom's world, and she foamed on and on about how my grandparents were taking the "mark of the beast" by voting for JFK.

My dad wasn't so religious, but was a staunch republican and was a "Nixon, all the way" sort of guy.

I'll never forget the yelling and screaming during the Christmas family festivities that Christmas, following the election which JFK won. My grandparent had gifted each of us, my mom, my dad, my sister and myself a framed, personalized, autographed picture of John F Kennedy.

My Grandfather had got to meet JFK through his Masonic Lodge that worked hard during the JFK campaign, and he was rewarded with these personalized autographed pictures! Damn, How I now wish my mom hadn't burned them.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

+24 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Here is what you should have done, because it shuts em up faster than you would believe...

Start laughing hysterically, and say " OMG YOU BELIEVE TV? " , then suddenly stop laughing and look all serious.
If they try to say something cut em off quick with a ' TV???'

Because even the dumbest among us will refuse to accept the notion that we ' believe in tv ' .

Through skillful use of peer pressure dynamics coupled with a cunning psyop, you too can dominate conversations with the braindead.

Of course if you are dealing with someone capable of thinking for themselves, all of this is unnecessary and you can just be your normal self with them. The zombies are like wild animals, they act purely on programmed impulses.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
You know, they say that older people are wiser. I generally agree based on their life experiences, but a lot of them sure do have the wool pulled over their eyes. I can name countless older relatives that don't have a clue and would dismiss me as crazy if I told them even 1% of what I believe based on facts. And that's why sometimes, you just have to let them live in ignorance.

+22 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Your mom's comment of "I asked you to do this one thing for me" is flat out illegal, let alone selfish and ignorant. Does she know she can be fined for trying to influence your vote in such a way?

This type of intimidation tactic is exactly what is wrong with this country today.

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Get over yourself already. I don't care who my kids vote for, so long as they 1) take it seriously, and 2) vote. It sounds like the OP has her head on right.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina
I never thought this would happen.

I made the point that a vote is only wasted if it's for someone you don't believe in. I also mentioned sadly that this election has divided everyone like no other, family member against family member.

I wanted so much to make the point that this country is based on freedom, and that includes the freedom to vote for who I want.

Where I work, there are a lot of people who discuss politics. They always ask who you're voting for and then getting angry with you if it's not who they're voting for.

I have seen so many fights break out in the break room because of this election, it's ridiculous. It really has divided people in such a way, that others are scared of voicing their opinion.

I wish people would respect others opinions, and stop judging.

I truly am sorry to hear that your mother is acting like this. I hope that things get resolved soon.

+15 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by solidguy

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

So having an opinion and voting differently than one's parents is disrespectful....and from that post you can tell they are a "mooch"?

I really hope you are being sarcastic....

Over 18 and still living under parents roof, then have the gall to not respect her mothers vote?

Basically rubbing it in her face.

Very disrespectful.

Are you kidding me? If ANY person in this country thinks they must respect another persons vote to the point where they must vote for the same person, they should not be voting.

This is one of the most pathetic things I have ever read on this site.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join