It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Tony Blair send UK troops to US areas?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   

From BBC News
Tony Blair has been challenged to put the UK's decision on a US request for back-up from British troops in Iraq to a vote of MPs. Liberal Democrat leader Charles Kennedy joined 44 Labour MPs in saying there should be a Commons test for the move. In the Commons, Mr Blair insisted no decision had been made on sending troops to a new part of Iraq and said it would depend on army chiefs.

Why do you think that
a)UK troops are needed around Baghdad, are the Americans undermand or not up for the Job?

b) There is so much UK opposition to moving the troops that are in theatre already?

Its an interesting one I would like to hear everyones opinion.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
My personal thoughts are that British troops make much more effective peacekeepers and Army Chiefs and indeed politicians would like to copy the relative success of the UKs tenure in Basra. Plus they want to free up troops for an assault on Fallujah.

This is seen as an escalation of the war from a British point of view, a war that no one wanted in UK and were lied to in starting it.

My thoughts...

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I think we should stay out of it.

It Is'nt our fight anyway
Not that blair would listen to anybody

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
The problem with this idea is that the local population now only see soldiers.....not their nationality. Yes the British Army is probably the best in the world when it comes to anti insugency operations. After all we had 40 years of practise in Northern Ireland, where in some areas the hearts and minds method worked very well indeed.

Baghdad is a whole different kettle of fish. To begin with we are talking a population of around 5 to 7 million people. Sadly a good 80 - 90% of these people look on the US Mil as an 'occupying' force and are sometimes openly hostile towards US soldiers, which is why they have suffered the heavy list of casulties.

Putting 800 odd Brits into downtown Baghdad is nothing more than a PR exercise, which will end with some of our lads returning home in body bags. They are doing an excellent job down in the south of the country, lets leave them there to continue.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Thats kind of my point, Geoff Hoon says that we have a duty to our allies... thats no excuse to continue an illegal war and occupation that is erroding out credibility on the world stage, doing anything for George Bush makes my stomach turn.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I agree whole heartedly that we have a lot to be proud of with our boys. I just dont want to see them killed for a PR stunt to get Bush re-elected. If we take over peacekeeping the US will assault Fallajuh and it will fall just in time for 'Dubya' to get re-elected.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
What if we asked reeeaal nice? PLEEEEAASE give us a hand here. We screwed up getting into a war we should never have been involved in. We know it was a mistake ( even if the current administration wont admit it ). We cant very well pull out and leave them like they are now, and we need help. Could you please do the people of the United States a Favor and send some help? Please?

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
We are not about to pull out but its a bit fishy about the redeployment for an attack on fallujah coming around election time...

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I can sympathise with your sentiment on sending your troops to this war. I dont think we should have been there in the first place. I just want you to realize that there is a large population of Americans that dont like whats going on over there any more thatn you do. But the fact is, we are there, and we cant leave till the job is done. Unfortunately, our current administration hasnt done a very good job of managing this war, and now they need a bail out ( Isnt Bush akways getting bailed out for something?).

I guess what I am trying to say is direct you resentment at our government ( Thats what I do
) and not its people. The people of America need the British Govs help, and without it, Iraq is doomed.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I have no dislike for Americans just your government, I am not naieve enough to believe that you are all behind this guy. Infact most of you arent as he didnt get as many votes as Al Gore...

Peace

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigdanprice
I have no dislike for Americans just your government, I am not naieve enough to believe that you are all behind this guy. Infact most of you arent as he didnt get as many votes as Al Gore...

Peace

Thank God! Im tired of being hated by everyother country on the basis of what that schmuck in office is doing with his power

Peace to you as well

KF

Edit: BDP, you just got my 500th post

[edit on 10/20/04 by Kidfinger]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
That angloamerican co=operation strikes again

new topics

top topics

join