It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Amazing How Many Believe The Political Theater is Real...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I chose my handle here precisely because of the Amerikan Political System.

I am jaded (tired, worn out) due to all of the things that have made me cynical (I saw through the charade in my mid to late teens and am now 43, so I have a LOT of cynicism built up) over the years.

I have never voted and don't plan on voting, at least not while the current system is in place.

More wisdom from Carlin:

Or as Lisa Simpson says:

It is blatantly obvious that we need a new system entirely, but how to bring that about?

“Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.”

Albert Einstein

So it is plain that the current thinking cannot be used to create a solution to the problem in which we find ourselves.

Another person who was extremely perceptive is the late, great Frank Herbert:

“Absolute power does not corrupt absolutely, absolute power attracts the corruptible.”
― Frank Herbert

This is a bit more subtle than the traditional axiom of "power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely" and shows something that many people seem not to see. Those who seek to be placed in positions of power are those most susceptible to being corrupted due to the desire for that power and open themselves to further corruption by seeking to keep that power.

“Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristocratic forms. No government in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, government tends more and more to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class -- whether that class be hereditary royalty, oligarchs of financial empires, or entrenched bureaucracy.”
― Frank Herbert, Children of Dune

And here we find ourselves with a government that has endured and grown toward a decidedly aristocratic form which has combined hereditary royalty (rich powerful people keep their riches and power within their families, though they may not have titles, this does qualify), oligarchs of financial empires (these are often the same people as the "royals"), and entrenched bureaucracies (the advisers a previous poster mentioned)

source

“Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept?”
― Frank Herbert, Heretics of Dune

And here is why we will never see any real solutions come from our current crop of "leaders" in government or in business. How many times have you come up with a better business process that got shot down because it didn't come from your boss or higher up? On the other hand, how often have you had an idea stolen only to find that someone further up the food chain got credit and recognition for the idea?

source

“I don’t think it’s quite that simple. Some people never observe anything, Life just happens to them. They get by on little more than a kind of dumb persistence, and they resist with anger and resentment anything that might lift them out of that false serenity.”
― Frank Herbert, Heretics of Dune

Can you say, "sheople?" I knew you could...

“Every civilization depends on the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness-- they cannot work and their civilization collapses”
― Frank Herbert

I think we are quickly approaching (if we aren't already there) the state where we have too many laws weighing us down.

One thing many people forget is that politics was never meant to be a full time occupation; congress was originally only meant to gather when great issues needed to be discussed and decisions had to be made. Sometime along the line, it became an ongoing, never ending slog through miles of red tape.

Something needs to change, most people will agree with that.

I say everything needs to change, but I fear that it will take something along the lines of an ELE to bring about that change and the part that sucks about this is that it's the same bastards who are in charge now that are most likely to survive and start the exact same crap all over again.

jadedANDcynical

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by theconspirator
your wrong. our votes do matter in changing the country. Otherwise this much money wouldnt be spent to buy the election

Haha that is cute.

First off, its "you are" not "your."

Second, I don't even know why you brought it up because it completely tears apart what you just said before.

Our votes no not matter in changing the country. Who ever has the most money does.

Yes, that's why this much money was spent to buy the election.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

You may get your income tax back, but what about all those people who have to pay more taxes and don't get anything back? What happens to the hard working middle man? The middle class will become poor or even more poor because of the future tax raises under Obama. In regards to the big scheme of things amidst this Big Brother establishment, the USA, it's true, you don't have much of a voice. That's EXACTLY why you should vote, which is the closest thing you'll have to a voice besides protesting outside of the White House without getting jailed (if you were in most other countries).

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
The Electoral College is dated. There's no point to it anymore. It's interesting how it's been so close tonight.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I don't think this was discussed yet??

Isn't it amazing how close the race is and the battle back and forth one day one is ahead and another day the other is ahead and now they are neck and neck right at the finish and you are being set up for another legal battle to decide who won...

I have been thinking it all week. I won't pretend to be political, I don't know much about it. It just seemed to me that it was very much like you said....A set up... for more arguments and disharmony between the public. I hope that doesn't happen.

Personally i think it's alllll just a big load of BS.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

First, get rid of the Electoral College.

I hope the middle class will be outraged after they lose even more money from raised taxes thanks to Obama.

The masses need to read one book each week until they die.

Follow the EU plan, banning processed foods with illegal antibiotics. Get rid of hormones in the meat. Get rid of flouride in the water. Ban toxic substances from being made in makeup, yes, makeup.

Get educated (informed, read, talk, form your own opinions) and then get angry.

The middle class must stand up in a time where unemployment is at it's all-time highest since the Great Depression.

Granted, I'm poor, but when I get a salary job next year, I'll be damned if I have to pay up to 7,000 in taxes I'll never get back.

Healthy minds rule the world, don't be fooled. I'm done. *steps off soapbox*

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

i had a feeling..it seemed suspicious that mittens said everything everyone didnt want to hear. but theres still that hope in the back of my mind that america has some legitamacy left but its so rare these days

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesWithoutAFace

You may get your income tax back, but what about all those people who have to pay more taxes and don't get anything back?

Well thats how it used to be. To be honest I haven't had a regular paycheck for nigh unto 20 years. We used to get something back. Like a tip.

The middle class will become poor or even more poor because of the future tax raises under Obama.

Obama doesn't "raise taxes". Out of control spending at all levels raises taxes.

That's EXACTLY why you should vote, which is the closest thing you'll have to a voice besides protesting outside of the White House without getting jailed (if you were in most other countries).

My abstention is my vote. And after you about protesting in front of the White House. Let me know how that turns out nowadays.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by coreytheconspirator

So if you're(in general not just you) saying it is almost literary a 'show' how does it work? Like...The candidates are specifically given a favorable or unfavorable campaign? Who decides and who's in on it? And how far up in Political seniority do have to be before you're let in on everything? I could think of more questions but you get the idea

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
And now all the believers in the reality show are coming unglued over who got kicked off the Island... or who got voted off Idol...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

There is a sort of fear and denial going on.. like deep inside, they see something wrong but it is much easier on their psyche if they choose to believe its all true and go along with it. To accept the truth is too devastating, and to take that position is too socially difficult, so there is a denial.
reply to post by nOraKat

I agree. It IS difficult. I say things to people in a passive aggressive like style when politics comes up.. like "AH they're all working for the same guy" or "Oh they're the same guy just 2 different suits" People rarely bite. I feel like if I push the issue any further they will think i'm a whack job

edit on 7-11-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: its dark in here

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
OP, I think you hit the nail right on the head.

It IS amazing how many people still buy into this politico crap, and still believe that any one dog is going to make a difference in any substantial way. It's a joke.

The last time I voted I was 18 years old... *cough* 30 years ago *cough*

It was a big novelty for me at the time to finally reach the age to vote and make my voice heard. Hardy har har. I was so naive back then, wasn't I.

Needless to say, I woke up.

I get questioned and lectured by people about my "not voting" thing and you can try to explain to them until you're blue in the face, but they just don't get it. You get these blank "deer in the headlights" looks from them and then they just carry on yapping their sheeple verbal vomit like it's been permanently scripted into their grey matter or something.

Their mouths are moving like someone has their hand shoved in the back of their heads controlling the movements....

Maybe it really is a televised show ?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
It amazes me how many people do not understand the reason for or how the Electoral College works. I would explain it to everyone now but I am tired and I made the mistake of explaining it earlier today to someone through U2Us and I should have just started a thread. I think I will do that tomorrow it will be much easier from that point on to just refer people to the thread.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

I should have just started a thread. I think I will do that tomorrow it will be much easier from that point on to just refer people to the thread.

Please do, I'd love to read it!

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

The voting machines did there job flawlessly tonight.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

This year I had sense enough not to vote. I've been saying all along that The Powers That Be already selected Obama for the win. The TrustTheVote project is corrupt from the top down. The Ohio Department of Family and Job Services voter registration database is not secure (hence the Joe the Plumber breach, in 2008) and I have had enough of fixed elections and caucuses to last a lifetime. I had no horse in this race and what a relief that is. Democrats were granted the win this time, but eventually The Powers That Be will need a republican agenda to push through their own hidden agenda...so I know their time will be coming again, soon enough. Both parties really are the same so do not despair Romney voters. Romney was the nominee because he was willing to take a dive and he was foisted on you by your own party. No one supported him in the primaries. As if republicans were going to vote for the guy who lost to the guy who lost to Obama, in 2008. Come on!
edit on 7-11-2012 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

Will do. Probably tomorrow night. Right now I am packing I will be flying back to the states in about 4 hours for right now though there is a thread that has explained some of it you should take a look.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by hawkiye

Thats why I haven't voted in any election since... 1980? I can't even remember. On my teeny tiny little level I am the change I want to effect.

Screw their reality show. It means nothing.

i was able to vote in the 2008 election for the first time. did i even register to vote? no i didn't.
democracy doesn't exist anymore. presidents are put there not elected in by "the people". trust me, too much money being invested in this and stands no chance against a "democracy".

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I'm glad that many people are realizing just how much of a farce the so-called election is.Now,let's continue to attempt to make others aware of it.This "lesser of 2 evils" is pitiful.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by theconspirator
your wrong. our votes do matter in changing the country. Otherwise this much money wouldnt be spent to buy the election

You are correct. The starter of this thread is only falling for the Leftist propaganda that the whole thing is just a show.

The two sides are very real and the stakes are very high.

You do realize that adults with elementary school level education are out there casting their votes, right? The whole country is up for grabs. The ''show'' is designed to get as many votes as possible one way or the other. The reality of it all is very scary. Life is very serious.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join