It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Sub Skirts Coast

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Russian Sub Skirts Coast Russian attack sub detected near East Coast

freebeacon.com

A Russian nuclear-powered attack submarine cruised within 200 miles of the East Coast recently in the latest sign Russia is continuing to flex its naval and aerial power against the United States, defense officials said.

The submarine was identified by its NATO designation as a Russian Seirra-2 class submarine believed to be based with Russia’s Northern Fleet. It was the first time that class of Russian submarine had been detected near a U.S. coast, said officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of anti-submarine warfare efforts.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Mon Nov 5 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: corrected title

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Who said Russia is not a threat to the U.S.A.? I know the muscle flexing is a regular occurrence but, this is rather bold!! and the timing??

According to the source, this Sub was conducting anti-submarine warfare drills against U.S. ballistic and cruise missile submarines based at Kings Bay, Georgia.

Kings Bay is home to 2 guided missile subs and 6 nuclear missile subs. Wow!

freebeacon.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Remember this from last year

The submarine deployment followed stepped-up Russian nuclear bomber activity near U.S. borders last summer, including the transit of two Bear-H strategic bomber near the Alaska air defense zone during Russian strategic bomber war games in arctic in late June.

Then on July 4, in an apparent Fourth of July political message, a Russian Bear-H flew the closest to the U.S. West Coast that a Russian strategic bomber had flown since the Cold War, when such flights were routine.

In both incidents, U.S. military spokesmen sought to downplay the threat posed by the air incursions, apparently in response to the Obama administration’s conciliatory “reset” policy of seeking closer ties with Moscow.

and this in the Gulf of Mexico

Confirmation of the recent Sierra-2 submarine deployment followed a report from U.S. national security officials who said a more advanced and harder-to-detect Russian Akula-class attack submarine had sailed undetected in the Gulf of Mexico in August.

What next??

source

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
im sure we will hear the "we knew it was there" and "the russians have 1960's tech" posts but regardless this is a scary thought seeing as the state the east coast is in right now.
edit on 5-11-2012 by Meekbot2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
What do we know about these subs? How many personnel aboard? Is it connected to Bayou Corn Sink hole emergency?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The beast is wounded... they can smell blood miles away!!!

+7 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Russian sub tech HAS been way behind the US, until Japan sold them the technology to build better screws for their boats. Even the Akula isn't as quiet as it could be. They're catching up quickly, but this is just another case of Russia trying to rebuild their military. Patrols in the Atlantic used to be routine, and are becoming again.

In 2009 an Akula, and Akula II class boat operated off the US, in the same region as the Sierra was. One sailed away, and one stayed in the region, 200 miles off the coast for a little longer. Two more were there over the summer, one of which was the one that supposedly went into the Gulf of Mexico undetected. This is at least the fifth submarine to operate off the US coast in the last three years. No big deal.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Thanks for that Zap.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Zaphod58 ur the man as per dude

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
maybe they're bringing in much needed supplies to NYC, since our own government has done such a F'ed up job.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
The key word is DETECTED.

They failed in whatever exercise they were doing because we found the sub.

IMO

link   
FYI sleepers....to them the cold war never ended,that is why a former KGB agent is running the country,they just regrouped. Duh.www.wnd.com...

edit on 5-11-2012 by cavtrooper7 because: padding my point

link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Who said Russia is not a threat to the U.S.A.?

i give in - who?

Nuclear arsenals of the world in summary

I know the muscle flexing is a regular occurrence but, this is rather bold!!

Yes how dare they operate well out in international waters!!

and the timing??

When would be bette..or worse?

According to the source, this Sub was conducting anti-submarine warfare drills against U.S. ballistic and cruise missile submarines based at Kings Bay, Georgia.

Kings Bay is home to 2 guided missile subs and 6 nuclear missile subs. Wow!

wow? why "wow"??

this is an ATTACK sub - it's major job in life is to sink things - especially boomers. What do you think it would do on exercise except train to do so? and what better stalking practice than the prime possible targets?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Russia > Usa

I know a lot of you will hate to admit it but the days of the USA super power are over, even the "old worn out" Russian Navy isn't scared of you all anymore

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
it doesn't matter if it's 20 miles from the u.s.

americas magical aegis system will be able to track and shoot down a sub launched ballistic missile going mach 6 with exactly 90 seconds of warning time anywhere in america.

don't worry, i'm sure this can be confirmed by citizens around the country who can see thousands of these missile systems around their cities.

can you see them? the israeli's can see theirs.

are a you guys gonna say that there are absolutely no air defence systems guarding any city in america. nothing in new jersey and the new york. i would imagine new york would be surrounded by sam missile sites. i guess not.

america is a sitting duck.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

The Sierra II is a nuclear powered SSN (fast attack submarine), designed to hunt other subs, and surface ships. Their crew is only 61 or so, and they commissioned in 1990, and 1993. There are only two of the Sierra II class in service, the third was never finished. She is 111 meters long, with a 7600 ton surface displacement, and a 9100 ton displacement submerged.

The Akula class (earlier "incidents") is an SSN as well. Her crew is 73. The Akula I first sailed in the 1980s, and seven were built between 1986 and 1992. The Akula I and Improved Akula I are 110 meters long, and displace 8140 tons on the surface, and 12770 tons submerged.

The Akula II and Akula III is an improved version of the Akula I. Her crew is smaller, at 62 (half officers). The Akula II first entered service in 1995. Three were built between 1992 and 1995. There is one Akula III (which isn't an official NATO class) They are 113 meters long, and displace 8450-8470 tons on the surface, and 13400-13800 tons submerged.

One of the reasons that I say that the Russian Navy is so far behind is money. They had plans to build at least 21 Akula class hulls. Of those, 15 were built, one has since been leased to India (after many delays, including a leak that killed 8 sailors in trials), three were converted to the new Borei class SSBN during building, one was scrapped at 60% complete, and two were sold for scrap. Of the remaining ones, five have been removed from service, one has been scrapped of those five.

To compare to American subs as far as size goes:

A Los Angeles class SSN is 109 meters with a crew of 129 (13 officers, 116 enlisted). She has a displacement of 6927 tons submerged. Of the 62 hulls built, 20 have been retired. Of the remaining hulls, 23 are the 688-I or Improved 688 class. Still a Los Angeles, but with improvements to the hull, and onboard equipment.

A Seawolf (only three, one of which is a Special Operations hull), is 107 meters long, with a crew of 140 (14 officers, 126 enlisted). She has a surface displacement of 8600 tons, and a submerged displacement of 9138 tons. The class consists of Seawolf, Connecticut, and the Jimmy Carter, which was converted to a special ops hull. The Carter is about 30 meters longer, because she has an extra section of hull for Spec Ops missions.

A Virginia (brand new class, with only a handful in service so far) is 115 meters, with a crew of 135 (15/120). She displaces 7900 tons. She is one of the only boats in service to date to use a pulse jet propulsor, which significantly quiets her, as there is almost no risk of cavitation. There are currently 9 boats in the class. The Block I boats, of Virginia, Texas, Hawaii, and North Carolina. The Block II boats of New Hampshire, New Mexico, Missouri, California, and Mississippi. The Minnesota is the last of the Block II boats, and will commission in 2013.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

200 miles?
That's international waters.
Now if you told me that the sub popped up in front of the Statue of Liberty and they posed on the bow started taking pictures.
Then I'd be worried.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
lets examine what is actually swimming 200 miles of the coast of america.

can the usa stop a missile from hitting new york at that range going mach 23.

at that speed america would have 40 seconds of response time from that distance.

a typical russian nuclear missile has about 10 warheads and 40 decoys. for america to stop just one of these missiles, a manned aegis anti missile system would have to acquire, target and shoot down 50 warheads, travelling at mach 23 in less that 40 seconds. that's just one icbm.

then it would have to defeat the missiles countermeasures. which includes the 40 decoys, chaff released in space confusing ground radar, radar jammers on the warheads and decoys and last but not least, a deliberate nuclear detonation in space to create a radar blackout zone that would allow future missiles to pass thru undetected.

yup, maybe if you're wondering why there isn't any missile defences around your city, is because its pointless, a waste of money and you won't survive.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

A right-wing blog is not a credible news source.
Are there any other more VALID and UNBIASED sources for this? If not, my opinion is that it's baseless BS.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

This is true. But since we have subs all over the place.
And nukes in places in the middle of nowhere that can be flown just about anywhere in the world.
Our secondary strike capability will destroy any enemy that nukes us first.

Anyone stupid enough to attack either the usa or russia will be in for a surprise.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join