It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crazy, Stupid...People

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
It's not just me. I KNOW it's not just me. It's not just a matter of perspective.
There must be, has to be, ARE...more crazy stupid people in the world.
So what gives? Economic decline...overpopulation, GMO Foods, CIA mind control..solar flares frying brains...WHAT?
Sometimes I feel like I might as well ask a tree why the sky is blue and I'd get a more intellectual response.
It's all over the media in "entertainment" and I use that term loosely. It's in our reality with some we have to interact with on a daily basis. It wasn't always this way. You see it too, don't you?
It's driving ME crazy!
Doesn't anyone else feel like they have to dumb themselves down to talk to most people nowadays or else they look at you like you just vomited a quantum mechanical equation?

/Rant off

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Calling other people stupid or crazy does not mean it's true.

It also does nothing to display your own intelligence or sanity.

Perhaps you should look in the mirror and then tell us what makes you so smart?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Doesn't anyone else feel like they have to dumb themselves down to talk to most people nowadays or else they look at you like you just vomited a quantum mechanical equation?

No..... and what on earth are you talking about? Huh..... What! Wierdo :/

I kid, I kid.
Yeah, I can relate with what you are saying completely. I sometimes try to look at it this way: In which person's shoes would I choose experience life from? Mine or theirs?

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's cool to feel proud of who you are as a person.
Take care

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I know what you mean.
Embrace the thickos,have fun messing with them.Talk about politics,religion etc and watch their eyes glaze over!
That is your sign to talk about these things even more!
Yank their chain,its fun.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

So what gives? Economic decline...overpopulation, GMO Foods, CIA mind control..solar flares frying brains...WHAT?

TV .. Britain's got talent , America's got talent , X factor talent give me fame now Idol and the myriad of brainwashing soap and chat shows .... the dumbing of the masses .

Stupid breeds stupid .

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Well when the so called "Learning Channel" has it's highest rated show promoting an American family who does adolescent (*cough* EXPLOITATION) beauty contests and then has to supply redneck translation captions what do you expect...

Of course it even more hilarious when I went to look up some details about this moronic show and find this...
en.wikipedia.org...

It might be changed before you get there so let me quote...
Honey Boo Boo
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Honey Boo Boo is an abomination to 9/10 of the human race, in exchange for notoriety and coin... never passing up the smallest chance to be a cheerleader for comforting those few who engage in every unnatural and twisted perversion ever devised.

Ordinary mortals won't get any kind of protection on wikipedia - but just specially for her show, wikipedia pulls out maximum VIP level security to make sure her page stays fully protected at all times, even blocking edit requests from the sacred talk page. The reason for this is simple - in wikipedia's basic philosophy of what it stands for in the world, it's all about respecting that Mun-nay above any other consideration! And wikipedia knows they have a lot of it - despite it originally being your taxpayer earnings that went for an "art" grant, for a media elite project to teach american couch potatoes how to follow the "new" morality, in hopes they would sooner forget the old morality as practised by their families for centuries...

Amazing that we are witnessing the decline of Western Civilization, but you are not the only one...

edit on 1-11-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I know I see a short term memory loss issue among my fellow citizens as a whole that sincerely scares me. It's everything, and not just politics or Washington. Weather events....Earthquakes....societal events...crime or disaster outside weather entirely. It runs the gamut.

The news reports a story occurring today as if it's a new event in the human experience and people seem to eagerly perk up and listen like a thirsty man sipping the first water in days. All memory of the fact whatever event we're talking about for a given example has a parallel decades, years or sometimes even months in the recent past is, literally, forgotten.

What did happen?? If this is part of what you're talking about and how it gives people the appearance of just plain stupid often times, I absolutely am noticing it and it's had my thoughts off and on for quite awhile now.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Television....is the culptrit, the dumber it becomes, the more dumbed down the masses become.....

Its impossible to carry a somewhat intellectual conversation with many no one has to think, they are told what and how to respond...the ability to dig below the surface and make educated guesses is done for them.....

Also pictures accompany words, I feel that stunts imagination and creativity...atleast in the 30's and 40's people had to invision the words on the radio....

Its all mental laziness......and its not too different then obesity.....if we are not exercising whether it be brains or bodies, we will feel the difference.

edit on 1-11-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

This gave me a good laugh.

It is NOT just you. I feel ( atleast where I am from ) that ignorance is the new norm. Having anything more than half a brain is not common, and people feed off of stupid like its a drug. I honestly can't stand how dumb a lot of people are becoming or already have been.. It's embarrassing.
I blame a lot of contributing factors but since this is a rant I'll put my feelings out there. I blame shows like,
'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo' which is now one of, if not the most watched and loved show in America. Haven't seen it? Watch it, it will make you want to vomit and your brain melt. That is one of the most unintelligent, unthought out, embarrassing shows pushed upon the public and it's what the people crave. Yuck.
Other things like shows the younger crowd watches as 'cool' are dumb. Music they listen to that is supposedly 'cool' is dumb, things that are popular are giving the wrong idea, making stupid normal and okay and I hate it.

Good Rant you wrote, it needs to be ranted about more often til things change!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kat2684

Kat,
I was literally about to edit my post and write that but you took the words right out of my mouth. You couldn't have said it better.

Its impossible to carry a somewhat intellectual conversation with many no one has to think, they are told what and how to respond...the ability to dig below the surface and make educated guesses is done for them.....

Amen.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Honey boo boo.....the fast food of the televison world...

We are consuming empty calorie foods, while our brains are consuming empty calorie television....is all junk!!

I miss educational programing...

I use to have respect for the History Channel, now I have to wait for November 13th to see the "History of Mankind".....until then reruns of Pawn Stars and everyone from that show...with a show....

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Katharos62191

Thank you Katharos62191,

Its like pulling teeth to get someone to articulate why they support something...or why not....most of the time they regurgitate what the tv anchor says......

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Narrator: The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections.

OK, so it would be easy for me to simply agree that the level of moronic influence is rising, but I don't have a reference point that isn't jaded through my own perspective. As I grew in intellect, it seemed to me people I once thought were clever were not as clever as I suspected.

I have to acknowledge the chart (the hump chart of IQ). I am on the upper end. Not at the top, but pretty high up, and so most of the population is of lower IQ than myself.ok, fine..above average people will have more lower IQ people around them simply out of basic math.

I think the question is, are people less informed now? This I can agree with. However, if someone asked me about erm..honey boo-boo, I would have no opinion considering I only seen a commercial for it and seen it as not interesting to me. I can of course discuss some books, some politics, a lot of science, etc..and people whom didn't read the stuff I read, or shared the same interest would be as dumbstruck as I am when discussing random pop references.
To me, persuits of literature, science, etc are more worthy causes, however, thats my perspective. Is my life truely more fulfilling with a understanding of the latest quantum theory model compared to someone whom knows who lady gaga had sex with lately? I don't know..neither myself nor that person in question is somehow profiting from the knowledge, so maybe its equal. I am not going to create a teleporter, and they aren't going to make a million off of some pop reference book.

So...

to sum up...

I donno

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Hmmm yep..should edit to add short term memory loss and rudeness to the title.
Oh and my mirror works just fine.
Ladies, I have had the great displeasure of watching Honey boo boo...and yeah...n'uff said.
I hear you on the history channel as well. Ancient aliens, Nostradamus effect and the upcoming documentary on the history of mankind is about all that's decent.
I couldn't simply contain my observation any longer..and needed to know I wasn't alone.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicWand67
Calling other people stupid or crazy does not mean it's true.

It also does nothing to display your own intelligence or sanity.

Perhaps you should look in the mirror and then tell us what makes you so smart?

That's not fair, MW. I am not a genius by any measure, but I'm not an idiot either. This means I'm stuck in the middle where I can't carry my own weight in an intellectual conversation, and I am surrounded by people that don't pick up ANYTHING in the news, current events, or even trivial bits that I thought everyone past the age of 35 knew.

No exaggeration, through attempts to converse with these people I've discovered that they don't know:
What an atom is. Who the Vice President is. That most car accidents occur with 25 miles of home.

I'm old, in very poor health, and I still work like a slave. The only energy I have left is for a nice chat every now and then. But, the people my age seem to think that a desktop computer is a sixteen-hundred dollar Solitaire machine. They never go on the internet, or read a newspaper, or watch documentaries.

All of the young pups at work have hand-held access to the internet, so what are they doing online where they don't pick up any information???

I completely understand what the OP is saying. It's not a matter of him/her(?) claiming to be smart. It's a matter of the majority of people (at least in the U.S.) don't seem to want to know anything. Maybe the world has become overwhelming to them, to the point where they've lost all curiosity.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
You've described what it's like for me to socialize with any member of my family. They are mostly very intelligent people and conversation is always heated and thought provoking - right up until I bring up anything remotely controversial. Even a phrase like "Our modern Orwellian world..." causes blank stares and silence. A silence almost always followed by something like:

There he goes with that Internet stuff again....

Personally I don't see this as a lack of intellect at all. Rather it's conditioning. A funny truth - if people are polled about the Kennedy assassination most will say that they believe there is more to the story than what we've been told. The vast majority agree. But, then, if you try to poll them about specifics, the numbers bottom out. There is a disconnect. The average person is aware enough to understand that something smells rotten - but they are conditioned enough that they can't go further than the base realization. Anything beyond that is so taboo to them that they seize up, panic, and shut down the thought.

Sadly, there are many brilliant people in this world who are stuck in the dark because they've been told their whole lives that "sane" people always keep the blinds shut.

~Heff
edit on 11/1/12 by Hefficide because: typo

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Thats exactly how I feel!!

I'm curious to know how much of intelligence is really memory retention.

I know adults many in greater more influential positions then I, who do not know, or care to know the difference between cities, states, countries, continents......how does one make it 50 some years without knowing that??

Also a frequent customer of mine worked at the Pentagon directly under the secretary of defense for 30 years...she didn't know what illegal aliens are, and she admitted she couldn't find Indiana on a map....wth??

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Entertainment is designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. I like the History Channel, and watched all of the 'The Universe' episodes even though I wish they'd gone more in depth and cut down on the simplistic demonstrations.
In face-to-face interactions, usually when explaining something, I often feel the way a kindergarten teacher probably does. It's so rare and awesome when I encounter a conversation partner who understands what I mean and responds without a beat!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by kat2684

Well, a long time ago I used to know the names of all the presidents and the capitals of each state. Now I couldn't drag most of them out of my brain if someone put a gun to my head.
I only just recently succeeded in memorizing the names of all the countries in the world. I haven't found cause to add capitals to that feat, though maybe I should just in case someone jumps out at me with trivia to gauge my intelligence level.

edit on 1-11-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
You've described what it's like for me to socialize with any member of my family. They are mostly very intelligent people and conversation is always heated and thought provoking - right up until I bring up anything remotely controversial. Even a phrase like "Our modern Orwellian world..." causes blank stares and silence. A silence almost always followed by something like:

There he goes with that Internet stuff again....

Personally I don't see this as a lack of intellect at all. Rather it's conditioning. A funny truth - if people are polled about the Kennedy assassination most will say that they believe there is more to the story than what we've been told. The vast majority agree. But, then, if you try to poll them about specifics, the numbers bottom out. There is a disconnect. The average person is aware enough to understand that something smells rotten - but they are conditioned enough that they can't go further than the base realization. Anything beyond that is so taboo to them that they seize up, panic, and shut down the thought.

Sadly, there are many brilliant people in this world who are stuck in the dark because they've been told their whole lives that "sane" people always keep the blinds shut.

~Heff
edit on 11/1/12 by Hefficide because: typo

Heff, to me it's like they hit an invisible wall. Some of us see through it..it is invisible right? But to them..it's still a wall.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join