It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ghost Nebula

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Also known as Barnard 175, vdB 152 is a reflection nebula atop of a dark Bok globule. Embedded in the top right side of the nebula is the Herbig Haro object HH 450, a jet emitted from a newly forming star. The thin, red filaments in the upper-right corner of the image are the remnants of a supernova explosion

Described as a "dusty curtain" or "ghostly apparition", mysterious reflection nebula VdB 152 really is very faint. Far from your neighborhood on this Halloween Night, the cosmic phantom is nearly 1,400 light-years away.

Also catalogued as Ced 201, it lies along the northern Milky Way in the royal constellation Cepheus. Near the edge of a large molecular cloud, pockets of interstellar dust in the region block light from background stars or scatter light from the embedded bright star giving parts of the nebula a characteristic blue color. Ultraviolet light from the star is also thought to cause a dim reddish luminescence in the nebular dust. Though stars do form in molecular clouds, this star seems to have only accidentally wandered into the area, as its measured velocity through space is very different from the cloud's velocity.

This deep telescopic image of the region spans about 7 light-years.

Source
APOD

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Great picture! Thanks for sharing!

And considering that today is Halloween for many of us, rather appropriate!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
So how long will it take us to get there? LoL! Great pic mate. Star.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Looks more to be a nebula in its infancy before it accumulates more matter to form stars and galaxies. Nice pics.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
that is truly a beautiful picture
provokes a lot of thought processes
i stared at it for around 5 full minutes and cant tell you how many questions flooded my mind.
thanks for sharing

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
So how long will it take us to get there? LoL! Great pic mate. Star.

well according to this the space shuttle will travel one light year in 37,200 years

How long would it take the space shuttle to go one light-year? The shuttle orbits the Earth at about 5 miles per second (18,000 mph). Light travels at 186,000 miles per second, which is about 37,200 times faster than the shuttle. So the shuttle would need about 37,200 years to go one light-year.

SOURCE

so to travel to the ghost nebula it would take...................

maths isnt one of my strongpoints

but no doubt someone can work it out!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Beautiful photo thanks OP is now my new desktop background even though I have a laptop.
I have a 8 inch dob makes me want to just watch the sky now.
edit on 1-11-2012 by Dr Expired because: spelin

new topics

top topics

join