It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italian Seismologists Charged With Manslaughter for Not Predicting 2009 Quake

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeANDreaming

That's the biggest load of crap I've heard in a while.

BOO!

-SAP-
edit on 23-10-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I tell you all the truth, this has more to do with Vatican.... Vatican is afraid of any earthquakes enough to get italy to start charging scientist.

Haven't you guys saw 2012?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
This ruling still makes no sense. How many buildings will collapse? I think that would fall under building inspectors and such. This is still asking for a prediction of sorts tied to natural disasters that we have no control over.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Shouldn't the building codes be put under review instead of charging scientist?
This to me looks like the higher ups are protecting their owns backsides by shifting the blame.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Trust the bloody Romans to crucify people for no real reason. The fact of the matter is, that if the scientists in question had of made a fuss over the possibilities, then people would have been running about screaming, taking thier possessions out of the location, shareholders and house owners would have rushed to sell thier holdings off and get out, and the place would have been a ghost town, all based on precisely as little scientific evidence, as the scientists are being accused of presenting as a reason to remain calm.

If no quake had occurred,and everyone had evacuated, all local businesses shut down and eventually gone to the dogs, which was pretty much just as likely according to the evidence, would the seismologists have been accused of economic terrorism?

This whole mess has been caused not by the advice of some put upon seismologists, but on the insistence by government bodies that someone give them some advice in the first place. The facts are these. First, no one could have predicted the quake. Next, no one could have predicted the size of any potential quake. Further, to have recomended an active, rather than passive response to the possibility of a quake would have been just as irresponsible as recomending a passive one.

It is hard, that is understood, to remain pragmatic in the face of such devastation, but things that are easy are rarely worth doing. These seismologists should never have been consulted on anything other than the response to a catastrophy, not the probability of its occurrance. I am absolutely outraged, disgusted, but not at all suprised at the fact of, nor the identity of the perpetrators of, this offense against science. Like I said at the top of the post, trust a bloody Roman every time to persecute and terrorise those it has already put upon.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Been having a look around ... Hopefully they will appeal and it will go better assuming they are indeed innocent of wrong doing?

Anyone able to find court transcripts or anything? Am curious-ish how this would have happened.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
im confused as to how they are to blame when the residents clearly live or have lived in a active quake zone for generations !
They are old enough to know the risks involved with living near a fault line and certainly dont need a scientist to tell them its dangerous !

witholding information that could potentially save lives , well that is certainly up for debate as they werent able to discern the intensity of the quakes or the next big one ! so therefore they are not guilty of anything , they are guilty of not knowing with any degree of certainty YES !

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pinke
Been having a look around ... Hopefully they will appeal and it will go better assuming they are indeed innocent of wrong doing?

Anyone able to find court transcripts or anything? Am curious-ish how this would have happened.

Would there be any transcripts? How do they write down multiple hand movements?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join